Will Kyle Walters get fleeced?

BigBlue

Will Kyle Walters get fleeced when he tries to trade for a QB before the expansion draft in December?

He has made 3 trades so far:

1. Wall & our 2nd pick for Neufeld & a 2015 pick

2. Pierce for Foster

3. Woodson for Parenteau

How did he do with these 3?

Is he a skilled negotiator or was he just making some noise at Wade Miller's behest?

Would he trade our #2 overall pick (Ottawa has the #1) for BLM, Tate or Willie or someone else?

I'm not particularly ok with trading our second overall. I'd offer one of our thirds this year, and a conditional next.

I'm a little uneasy about it too, but if the 2nd overall pick is what it takes, Walters needs to pull the trigger.  Not making that trade is a Mack move.  Collaros and 1-2 upgrades on the OL, and the offense could be explosive next season. 

I'm not particularly ok with trading our second overall. I'd offer one of our thirds this year, and a conditional next.

and you'd get turned down.

a third pick and a maybe-next-year-pick isn't worth as much to the Argos as having Collaros as a shield to our other players in the dispersal draft... ie: the guys we protect because he gets taken would be worth more to us than a 3rd rounder.

I'd like to see us acquire Collaros for a 7th rounder and then hire Barker to be our GM

lol! why stop there? i'm sure you could get Van Zeyl and Gabriel thrown in...

Bombers are going to have leverage though with multiple teams having QBs to offer.

that'll work against some teams who don't need a human-shield in the dispersal draft as the Argos do... but Collaros' value to us (as of the end of our season) is to either allow us to keep our NI assets, or to fetch us one that is as least as promising as the one we'd lose due to not having Collaros. (presuming he gets drafted...)

a third pick and a maybe-next-year-pick isn't worth as much to the Argos as having Collaros as a shield to our other players in the dispersal draft... ie: the guys we protect because he gets taken would be worth more to us than a 3rd rounder.

this is very true and many people keep overlooking that.

Before you think we can just go to Toronto and say "hey, either take our lowball or lose him for nothing", remember that he holds his value in that allowing Ottawa to take him will allow them to protect their 7th and 8th best non-import.

Then again, is that worth it to let him go to a division rival?

So many moving parts.

Really good post.  Once a team has a QB poached, they get to protect additional NI's; don't they? 

I had drawn up a post based on lack of competition; but it's moot given this scenario.  Depends on how Toronto values their other NI's. Toronto one would think would protect Durie, Keeping, Eppele, Holmes, Van Zeyl, and Reinders... I don't know their roster terribly well beyond that, but that would leave Watt, Lee, Laing, Pottinger, Gabriel and Black as NI starters from this year.  What is retaining 2 or 3 more NI's worth to the Argos?

Look at our NI problems this year to see the real picture. Would the Argos rather retain say Watt and Gabriel, or be left to pick up Ottawa's scraps (say... Akeem Foster and Teague Sherman)?  What's that worth?

Really good post.  Once a team has a QB poached, they get to protect additional NI's; don't they? 

I had drawn up a post based on lack of competition; but it's moot given this scenario.  Depends on how Toronto values their other NI's. Toronto one would think would protect Durie, Keeping, Eppele, Holmes, Van Zeyl, and Reinders... I don't know their roster terribly well beyond that, but that would leave Watt, Lee, Laing, Pottinger, Gabriel and Black as NI starters from this year.  What is retaining 2 or 3 more NI's worth to the Argos?

Look at our NI problems this year to see the real picture. Would the Argos rather retain say Watt and Gabriel, or be left to pick up Ottawa's scraps (say... Akeem Foster and Teague Sherman)?  What's that worth?

Could work the other way too. Ottawa sees that there are a couple Canadians that they really value but if they select Collaros that they will not be available. Add to the fact that there is no guarantee that Collaros will sign with them. So instead they go after Glenn or Tate. Making sure the Argo's can't protect additional Canadians. This whole thing is a crap shoot and nobody knows who Ottawa values at this point.

You maybe more likely to get a QB out of Toronto with Winnipeg playing in the west next season. Toronto will only play Winnipeg twice. a western team might be less likely to trade to Winnipeg with the prospect of playing that qb 3 times and a forth in possible preseason game.

Ottawa has said they won't pick Fa's but they might do one like Collloras or Muamba just for negotiating rights till Feb 15 .... so who are not FA's?

I am guessing the non-FA number two QBs available  are:

Nichols

Montreal's other two (besides Smith who they will protect I believe) Marsh or Neiswander

Hamilton's scat back QB LeFevour

Willie

Either Tate or Levi

DeMarco

So who is worth trading for and with how big a draft pick?

Ottawa has said they won't pick Fa's but they might do one like Collloras or Muamba just for negotiating rights till Feb 15 .... so who are not FA's?

Nichols

Montreal's other two (besides Smith who they will protect I believe) Marsh or Neiswander

Willie

Either Tate or Levi

DeMarco

Nichols is likely not even on Ottawa's radar.  Willy is a free agent and Levi (as in Bo Levi?) and LeFevour will be protected.

I am guessing the non-FA number two QBs available are:

Nichols

Willie

Either Tate or Levi

DeMarco

Willy is a free agent

Burris is a free agent also, lefeveour will be protected.

Levi definitely will be protected.

I see Ottawa going for Glenn and probably DeMarco...

Nichols

Willie

Either Tate or Levi

DeMarco

Nichols is likely not even on Ottawa's radar.  Willy is a free agent and Levi (as in Bo Levi?) and LeFevour will be protected.

Well, I watched LeFevour this season & quite frankly he is like Justin Goltz. Can run but not a very good passer. Long term, I believe that he doesn't look like he is the heir apparent to Burris.

Nichols

Willie

Either Tate or Levi

DeMarco

Willy and Demarco are free agents, Burris is a free agent and I would imagine Hamilton will use that to protect Dan LF, Bo Levi will be protected by Calgary and I'm pretty sure Nichols is also a FA

Nichols

Willie

Either Tate or Levi

DeMarco

Well if Willy is a Free agent, then the pre-draft choices to trade for probably come down to Tate or Nichols

I would use a 3rd rounder for either one

If Ottawa is not interested in either of those two, then they take their cheque book to the Feb 15 FA scramble like the rest of us

Anybody know how to check who is scheduled to become a FA?