Ottawa Redblacks

If you started a team today and called them the Blue Bombers, you would be laughed out of the city. It will grow on people, to the point where nobody will remember what the complaints were all about in the first place (assuming they last long enough for that).

I get where you're coming from, but here's the thing.  A Bomber is a big ass airplane that drops bombs...being blue is just an Bomber airplane being the color blue.

What in the hell is a RedBlack?  It's not even anything.  It's 2 friggen colors combined.  It makes no sense.  IT...MAKES...NO...SENSE!!!

At least the Red Sox...are...you know...RED SOX (a play on the words Socks).  See where I'm coming from here?

IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!

We started to narrow in on RedBlacks. Red stands for desire, black stands for power. One of the things I did not know, in the mid- to late-1870s, when the Rough Riders started, one of the thoughts is they were named after the Roosevelt Rough Riders. They took the red and black colours from this regiment. I believe those colours influenced the colours of every Ottawa sports team since. I thought, what a tribute to Ottawa sports history -- even if you think about the guards on the Hill with their red and black colouring. It's just so synonymous with Ottawa history.

From some article ..

The ALL CAPS is waay too much.

I just get the feeling they're going to want a mulligan on this decision 5-10 years down the road. Obviously ownership is completely set on the name; I don't think they got much positive feedback when it was leaked a few months back. Think if they wanted too, they could have changed it.

The ALL CAPS is waay too much.

I just get the feeling they're going to want a mulligan on this decision 5-10 years down the road. Obviously ownership is completely set on the name; I don't think they got much positive feedback when it was leaked a few months back. Think if they wanted too, they could have changed it.

...I like the OTTAWA ALLCAPS, now that you mention it.

From some article ..

Yeah I got that, but it still doesn't make sense.  If you have to explain to people what the name means because you don't get it, then it's just stupid.

And yes, even dumber that they want it in all caps.

DON'T PARTICULARILY LIKE THE NAME BEING IN ALLCAPS... IT ISN'T LIKE THEY NEED TO YELL IT AT EVERYONE

However the name itself "feels" rugby, since the Canadian game is essentially rooted in rugby like football (and still resembles rugby moreso than the other league style football) I kind of like the name.

Like it even more after reading the article... I think the ownership team got it right in choosing a riskier/less common kind of name.

The name has an unique identity - Something important for making a legacy (Fans can identify themselves as being redblack fans and whom they are cheering for is unequivocably obvious... a BC Lion fan has to add the BC part or be mistaken as a fan of another team)

I posted this on the net before but i feel its work repeating.  I didn't like the name redblacks initially but i do like it now.

Given the other team names in the CFL I think the following would recieve the same WTF? response

Eskimoes.  Hmmm Are there eskimos in igloos in Edmonton?

Alouettes.. Yes.. The french Name for Birds.

Bomber.  Why yes, let bomb them ( i know not meaning behind the name)

Argos..

Most of the names would garner the same response if you didn't have any attachment or knowledge of them :)

All caps? What a bucn of idiots? Do these guys serve in the Ontario government?

if so, count on them running up a massive debt and tripling the size of their own bureaucracy over the next few years while giving themselves and their unionized employees ridiculous wages and benefits packages...

they should pay that fan in free season tickets in exchange for that design. i love those.

I like them,and I really like the stripes on the away sleeves, but I'd like the homes better with white pants.

Don't like unis with the sames colour of jersey and pants. The Sask. all-whites and the Bomber all-blues look brutal.