Ottawa Redblacks

I honestly thought this was an elaborate prank that I had missed out on when I saw the all caps posts.  This is a terrible idea.  Why would you want to write the name Ottawa REDBLACKS like that?  Between this and the French conversation to Rouge et Noir (which as someone pointed out already makes no sense since the team is not the Red and Black) this new team clearly is not a fan of the English language.

I thought the name was pretty bad to start with but stuff like this really does make it way too ridiculous. 

I get where you're coming from, but here's the thing.  A Bomber is a big ass airplane that drops bombs...being blue is just an Bomber airplane being the color blue.

What in the hell is a RedBlack?  It's not even anything.  It's 2 friggen colors combined.  It makes no sense.  IT...MAKES...NO...SENSE!!!

At least the Red Sox...are...you know...RED SOX (a play on the words Socks).  See where I'm coming from here?

IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!

What about the Cincinnati Reds?

Cincinatti Red STOCKINGS formed in 1881 & were charter members of the American Association. So, the Reds name isn't about just the colour red, it's a shortened version of the original name. 

They haven't been the Red Stockings since 1889. And how is being named for the colour of your socks not being named after a colour?

If you lived in and were from Ottawa, and have been dying for a CFL team to come back since the moment they left, you probably wouldn't care too much about what they were called. You'd probably just be happy to have a team back again.

That's all fine and dandy but clearly there wasn't enough support for the team to begin with. They need to attract new, young fans like myself to make the team succesful year round. My friends rip me to shreds for being a bombers fan, imagine being a red blacks fan. Lol

They haven't been the Red Stockings since 1889. And how is being named for the colour of your socks not being named after a colour?

Well, that is their actual original name the Red Stockings. That's where Reds came from. So, the team named them for red stockings which is an actual thing. Jeff Hunt named his team for colours  & the fact he thinks the name would be cool in French. 

With a few exceptions, the names of baseball teams have never seemed very satisfactory to me.  Three of them, the Orioles, the Cardinals and the Blue Jays, are named after birds.  Why, for goodness sake?  Are there more cardinals in St. Louis than in Baltimore?    The St. Louis football team was also called the Cardinals, which I'm sure sports editors found inexcusable.  It's not even short.

When baseball was first organized, two of the teams named themselves after the colour of their socks, the Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox.  I suppose you've got to name a team something.

The thing that bothers me the most about the team names in all areas of sport is their inconsistency.  What sense does it make to have the Orioles playing the Tigers?  The symbolism is all wrong.  You just can't visualize an animal like a tiger playing with a bird like an oriole.  Neither are the Pirates apt to have played with the Indians, and I can't imagine the Astros playing with the Braves either.  These are apples playing with oranges.

Naming a team is like naming a child, I suppose.  Once you've done it, the name and personality of the child or the team take on each other's qualities and become indistinguishable.  That's what allows any of us to get to like someone whose name we never cared for.  The name is dominated by the personality so that the name takes on a new meaning of its own for us.

Well, that is their actual original name the Red Stockings. That's where Reds came from. So, the team named them for red stockings which is an actual thing. Jeff Hunt named his team for colours  & the fact he thinks the name would be cool in French. 

Hunt et al naming the team after the historic colours of sports teams in Ottawa doesn't seem much different than naming a team after the colour of socks.  ;)

Hunt et al naming the team after the historic colours of sports teams in Ottawa doesn't seem much different than naming a team after the colour of socks.  ;)

Right but he's not naming it a pair of colored socks...he's just naming them random colors.  Might as well just call everyone that.  We're the BlueGolds, Saskatchewan is the GreenWhites, Montreal is the RedBlues...it's just sloppy name calling.