Twitter & GIF's

Rich

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

It's not a problem per say, but I would no longer see commentary or news links that I currently enjoy seeing/reading.

That's what I thought was going to happen too, but it turns out that it was all on other sources.

It appears that this blocking that Twitter is doing is slowly making its way through the internet.  Here is an article of how embedding tweets has started affecting many Wordpress sites as well.

https://twittercommunity.com/t/wordpress-fails-to-embed-tweets/194433

At some point, when embeds are blocked everywhere, maybe Twitter will fix it.  

On 2023-06-01 at 7:50 AM, Rich said:

Update on the twitter embeds.  In the support forums for the board software, there are many other communities experiencing similar issues, though it isn't affecting everyone.   The consensus seems to be that Twitter is blocking a range of IP addresses, which the server for this board got included in (anyone's guess into how they determined what those ranges would be).  It is likely caught up in something similar to this.

Will continue to monitor, but not much more I can do on my end at this point.

DAMMIT ELON

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
27 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Can someone show how one can post GIFs on here?

Explain it to me like I am 5 years old.

If you find an animated gif off of google or some other page click on it to open it up.   Once the picture it is open and animating on your browser,   right click on the picture and go to "copy image address" or "copy image link" ,     then come back here and on the bottom right of the message you should see "insert image from URL".  Click that button and then right click and select paste.  It should paste the link for your gif into the box.   Click the button to insert into post.   And that should be it. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

then come back here and on the bottom right of the message you should see "insert image from URL".  Click that button and then right click and select paste.  It should paste the link for your gif into the box.   Click the button to insert into post.   And that should be it. 

You can skip the last step and directly paste the link in the body of the post using ctrl+v and the forum will automatically render the gif.

just-like-that-mic-drop.gif

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

I post gifs from an android phone all the time - Samsung or Pixel but you don't have to use that box.  Just paste the link in the with the rest of your text.

I have noticed is that sometimes when I paste the link, I have to hit enter (like to create a new paragraph) or the page won't recognize the text as a link. A little message will pop up saying your link has automatically been embedded and the gif will show up.

boom-easy-as-that.gif

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Some sites will create a link that the site doesn't recognize or like,   with the button in the bottom right corner it will notify you that the link isn't valid.   

Yup, I always open the image itself in a new tab so I can copy that info rather than user a site-generated link. 

Some files aren't actually GIFs either, they could be webp files or some other animated image, and that can also be an issue for the site.  I try to stick to images in actual gif format.

6 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

giphy.gif

grogu-i-knew-you-could-do-it.gif

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

testing

funny-fail-gifs-workout-gym

6 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Thanks guys,

I got it to work on my laptop but its not working on my Samsung cell.

I can copy/ paste the link however the Insert image from URL box turns pink and doesn't send the link.

I find that if I "open in new tab in group" the gif in a new tab in my phone, copy the url of that tab and paste that into the post- that usually helps.

i-hope-it-helps-i-hope-that-will-do.gif

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

If you find an animated gif off of google or some other page click on it to open it up.   Once the picture it is open and animating on your browser,   right click on the picture and go to "copy image address" or "copy image link" ,     then come back here and on the bottom right of the message you should see "insert image from URL".  Click that button and then right click and select paste.  It should paste the link for your gif into the box.   Click the button to insert into post.   And that should be it. 

Maybe the MODs can somehow just pin this answer somewhere so anyone can review it when needed?