Coming to a Bombers game....

Wilbur

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the place we crash at when we're in town for games is about 8 minutes south of that (says Google) so that's definitely going to be a pit stop in a couple weeks. I thought I knew about every brewery/taproom in the city, but new stuff keeps popping up....

There’s another good one tucked away on Warsaw avenue called Sookrams Brewing company. 

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

There’s another good one tucked away on Warsaw avenue called Sookrams Brewing company. 

have been to Sookrams.....it was alright. I appreciated the owner coming around table to table, checking on people to see how they liked the beer. Was a nice touch. Not sure I have an absolute favourite in the city, right now, (in terms of breweries as a whole, not beer specifically) but there's lots of good ones I enjoy visiting. For me, it's half about the quality of beer, and half about the taproom experience. My Lotto Max dream is building a small brewery along the waterfront in Pinawa, because, for me, it's all about "beer with a view". A patio with waterfront views, and a really good beer? Life doesn't get better than that. 

Edited by Noeller

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

have been to Sookrams.....it was alright. I appreciated the owner coming around table to table, checking on people to see how they liked the beer. Was a nice touch. Not sure I have an absolute favourite in the city, right now, (in terms of breweries as a whole, not beer specifically) but there's lots of good ones I enjoy visiting. For me, it's half about the quality of beer, and half about the taproom experience. My Lotto Max dream is building a small brewery along the waterfront in Pinawa, because, for me, it's all about "beer with a view". A patio with waterfront views, and a really good beer? Life doesn't get better than that. 

I don’t think you are going to get that view at Low Life haha. So apologies in advance - but I do want to check out their room and beer. 

I have found that there are some Good Neighbour beers I like - so I’m wanting to check that one out as well. 

I think the owners are all ladies - so it should be pretty clean @Mike 😉

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

One Great City has probably the best food out of any brewery. Like, legitimately excellent food. Get the meatballs. 

Their beers are okay, I like the Queen's Best Bitter and the Mad Scientist IPA.

One Great City doesn't quite know what it wants to be......that's my only issue with them. Everything is "pretty okay"......

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Nonsuch is a nice tap room - but I have never had a beer that I liked from there. 

The second I walked into Nonsuch, I felt like I was going to get tossed for not making enough money to be in there. I don't expect taprooms to be dive bars, but that place, I just felt like I was being judged the whole time I was there. Maybe I'm just more ghetto than I realize... ha ha. Ever since that experience, it's affected my view on their beer. 

52 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Love me some Barnhammer.

One of, if not THE, best brewery(ies) in the city. They know exactly who they are and what they want to do. A lot of great beers, and in the winter, the Grandpa's Sweater stout is something truly special. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Noeller is going to call it “issues with the ownership”, but I’m going to call it “I find their hygiene practices absolutely gross

Ok so now I am even more curious. If Hygiene was that bad surely they'd be dumping a ton of beer and it would be noticeably awful and inconsistent...  can't be that atrocious if the beer comes out drinkable.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ok so now I am even more curious. If Hygiene was that bad surely they'd be dumping a ton of beer and it would be noticeably awful and inconsistent...  can't be that atrocious if the beer comes out drinkable.

I’ll PM you 😂 I’ve got some stories 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I’ll PM you 😂 I’ve got some stories 

Well - I won’t be going there. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

One Great City doesn't quite know what it wants to be......that's my only issue with them. Everything is "pretty okay"......

The second I walked into Nonsuch, I felt like I was going to get tossed for not making enough money to be in there. I don't expect taprooms to be dive bars, but that place, I just felt like I was being judged the whole time I was there. Maybe I'm just more ghetto than I realize... ha ha. Ever since that experience, it's affected my view on their beer. 

One of, if not THE, best brewery(ies) in the city. They know exactly who they are and what they want to do. A lot of great beers, and in the winter, the Grandpa's Sweater stout is something truly special. 

It does have that vibe - but more important to me- I just don’t like their beer. 

TBF - I’ve heard their food is good🤷🏻‍♂️

Stone Angel wouldn't be in business if things were as bad as Mike says. They'd be shut down by now. I don't have any connection to that place, other than it's our "park and walk" spot for Bombers games, so we always stop for at least one before the game. Have never had a beer that I didn't like at SA. 

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Nonsuch is a nice tap room - but I have never had a beer that I liked from there. 

It's a great physical space. Can't say much else about it food, people meh...

Patent 5 Distillery and Tasting Room around the corner, I could spend way to much $ and time in that place if I was a little younger.

@Noeller if you ever wish to tip your toes in to the spirits world you should check out Wildlife Distillery out of Canmore. They have some MB roots and are producing some excellent hooch. They released a Rhubarb Gin this spring that I tried to get on my most recent trip but the liquor store in YYC didn't have it yet.

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

@Noeller if you ever wish to tip your toes in to the spirits world you should check out Wildlife Distillery out of Canmore. They have some MB roots and are producing some excellent hooch. They released a Rhubarb Gin this spring that I tried to get on my most recent trip but the liquor store in YYC didn't have it yet.

Know them very well, and currently have a limited edition of BOTH varieties of whiskey they've made so far. My cousin is very close with Keith Robinson, who's from MB/NW Ont, so I've been a huge fan of Wildlife for awhile now. I'm due for a trip out that way to tour the facility (I'm 1.5h from "the mountains" and you'd be surprised how little we get out there...) 

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Know them very well, and currently have a limited edition of BOTH varieties of whiskey they've made so far. My cousin is very close with Keith Robinson, who's from MB/NW Ont, so I've been a huge fan of Wildlife for awhile now. I'm due for a trip out that way to tour the facility (I'm 1.5h from "the mountains" and you'd be surprised how little we get out there...) 

I'm a big fan of their syrups too, the mule and tonic syrups especially. I haven't tried any of the cocktails in a can they produce yet but hoping to get some in a shipment that Keith's parents bring on their summer visit home.

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

One Great City has probably the best food out of any brewery. Like, legitimately excellent food. Get the meatballs. 

Their beers are okay, I like the Queen's Best Bitter and the Mad Scientist IPA.

I've heard this but on my 3 visits I have only found it okay at best. Now, I am a Celiac and that rules out their pizza and some of the other items but the ones they adapt aren't get and I didn't find them awesome at accommodating dietary needs either. Great atmosphere and close to the office so I will likely end up there again. Not bad seltzers either, enjoyed being able to buy something from the source for a change.