Books, Books, Books

Wideleft

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Daytrippers Guide To Manitoba"

(other than the money) Manitobans should be thankful for the fact that it is lowly regarded as a tourist destination.

other places, that are endlessly promoted, like Vancouver island, are crawling with people. if you cant climb a mountain, tough to find some peace and quiet.

Manitoba is a gem. 

Edited by Mark F

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

(other than the money) Manitobans should be thankful for the fact that it is lowly regarded as a tourist destination.

other places, that are endlessly promoted, like Vancouver island, are crawling with people. if you cant climb a mountain, tough to find some peace and quiet.

Manitoba is a gem. 

no other place I'd rather be, especially the EastMan Shield....

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

no other place I'd rather be, especially the EastMan Shield....

yeah same here. I lived for twenty five years a few miles west of beausejour. often went on short trips in the surrounding area. not far to utter wilderness.

you can find it here, but you have to be edmund hillary.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Mark F said:

yeah same here. I lived for twenty five years a few miles west of beausejour. often went on short trips in the surrounding area. not far to utter wilderness.

Pinawa, born and raised.... no better place to have grown up. Right in the heart of pure Canadiana...

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Pinawa, born and raised.... no better place to have grown up. Right in the heart of pure Canadiana...

I used to spend a lot of time in Pinawa every summer. It was a great place. Seems a lot different now. A lot more people seem to have discovered the gem that it was. Huge lineups for a float down the channel when I used to rip my kayak up and down the channel and barely see anyone.

6 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I used to spend a lot of time in Pinawa every summer. It was a great place. Seems a lot different now. A lot more people seem to have discovered the gem that it was. Huge lineups for a float down the channel when I used to rip my kayak up and down the channel and barely see anyone.

it's absurd how popular that is, and the giant floating inflatables at the beach.....people are coming from all over the province to do that stuff. I can't figure it out for the life of me. The golf course remains the most underrated in the entire province... a true gem. The fishing is beyond spectacular. If I could find a job that paid enough, I'd be back there tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-08-16 at 2:03 PM, Mark F said:

Manitoba is a gem. 

100% on that. When my wife and I turned 50 we decided to canoe from Brandon to the Forks. We took our time and did it in 12 days. From Brandon to Portage ( especially Brandon to 34 hwy) is amazing. You would  ever guess you were paddling in Southern MB farming country. On the entire  trip we only met one other group. Brandon to 34 is an absolute gem hidden under everyone's nose. Portage to the perimeter - meh. Perimeter to the forks  - entertaining. 

4 minutes ago, the watcher said:

100% on that. When my wife and I turned 50 we decided to canoe from Brandon to the Forks. We took our time and did it in 12 days. From Brandon to Portage ( especially Brandon to 34 hwy) is amazing. You would  ever guess you were paddling in Southern MB farming country. On the entire  trip we only met one other group. Brandon to 34 is an absolute gem hidden under everyone's nose. Portage to the perimeter - meh. Perimeter to the forks  - entertaining. 

So peaceful…..What a great trip…. 

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, the watcher said:

So ,you paddled right through my back yard. Sounds like a fun endeavor.

Speaking about traveling the Assiniboine I recently picked up"  Boats and Life on Manitoba Waterways " by Ben W. Holyk.

There are some fascinating pictures of the various watercraft that have worked our lakes and rivers. Including a couple with Fort Garry in the background. It's hard to imagine steamboats on the Red and Assiniboine rivers loaded with hundreds of people and cargo. 

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

Speaking about traveling the Assiniboine I recently picked up"  Boats and Life on Manitoba Waterways " by Ben W. Holyk.

There are some fascinating pictures of the various watercraft that have worked our lakes and rivers. Including a couple with Fort Garry in the background. It's hard to imagine steamboats on the Red and Assiniboine rivers loaded with hundreds of people and cargo. 

You have my attention, sir...... edit.... unfortunately appears to not exist online anywhere. Is this an old book that you got pre-owned somewhere? 

Edited by Noeller

52 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Congratulations on making it out of Pinawa @Noeller

Great town but extremely high suicide rate no. 

Yeah, that's a bit of a touchy subject, but ya.... something in the water. I've had my battles with depression over the last 5 years that could have made me a statistic and thankfully didn't. But yes, at one point Pinawa had the highest suicide-per-capita rate in Canada. Not something anyone was proud of, in a town of only 1500 people that's only existed since 1963. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

You have my attention, sir...... edit.... unfortunately appears to not exist online anywhere. Is this an old book that you got pre-owned somewhere? 

I picked it up in Gimli while I was at the film festival. I can't remember the name of the store. They called it a " General Store " but it was more of a touristy thing. A good selection of local / prairie books though.

Edited by the watcher

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, that's a bit of a touchy subject, but ya.... something in the water. I've had my battles with depression over the last 5 years that could have made me a statistic and thankfully didn't. But yes, at one point Pinawa had the highest suicide-per-capita rate in Canada. Not something anyone was proud of, in a town of only 1500 people that's only existed since 1963. 

Mostly have lurked around here for years, but I appreciate your posts. Glad you didn't become one of those statistics.

In light of Bubba Buffett passing, I was gonna mention... For anyone who likes music reads, I'm a big fan of the unofficial biography "A Good Life All The Way", which is a SUPER DEEP dive into his family history, his start in Key West, and the development of Yacht Rock. 

• 2 weeks later...

So today at the book market I managed to find the 2002 Year in Review book People magazine put out and thought it was a bit of a letdown compared to the previous books. Why? Two reasons, it focused a little more much on Celebrity news stories and introductions that happened that year rather than on newsmakers (with the exception of the DC Snipers and the Miners that spent 77 hours trapped underground) and the other reason: 2002 was the year I started paying attention to more news stories than usual, and well let's just say I have more nostalgia for the commercials that aired on Teletoon at the time (and recently there was a big dump of them from that time and mind you this was the last year I watched Teletoon full time as I turned my attention to the CNN's and Much More Music, though granted the stuff on Teletoon was still watchable) and for our brand new Windows XP computer complete with AOL

Besides I also had the end of the year issue and most of it was the same stuff, I suppose there is a reason I have capped my nostalgia hit at 2003

Edited by iHeart

• 2 weeks later...