2023 NHL Playoffs Thread

On 2023-04-17 at 7:12 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

First round picks:

Boston - really hope not and the illness running through their locker room gives a sliver of hope. But they are just way too good. But seeing Paul Maurice upset them would be sweet.

Toronto - rooting hard for Tampa, but I think the Leaf curse is broken. Which is fine because the Bruins will likely sweep them in round 2. But if the series goes 7, could easily see Tampa pull it off then.

NY Islanders - since the 1 v 8, 2 v 7 seeding was re-introduced, the #7 seed has won almost half of the match-ups (25 of 54). Since Seattle isn’t beating Colorado, this is my #7 seed upset 

NY Rangers - more top end talent, goaltending, and playoff experience gives them the advantage over the Devils

Colorado - most likely sweep in round 1

Dallas - dark horse to run to the Finals

Edmonton - game 7 OT anyone? The two hottest teams since the trade deadline, either is a legit threat to make a run to the Finals, but McDavid is video game cheat code unstoppable right now. Great equalizer could be the refs burying their whistles and eliminating the Oiler power play, which is their greatest weapon  

Vegas - the fact I am a Winnipegger and am wavering on the Jets convinced me that Vegas is the logical pick. Jets just too inconsistent this year to trust them to bring their best, which would be enough to beat most of their Western foes. Plus, they play best when no one believes in them, and there are still experts who see the upset happening. So it likely won’t. 

4-4 in round 1. At least 3 of my wrong picks were in 7 game series, so not the worst performance. Round 2:

Toronto over Florida - would love to be wrong, and frankly Toronto stole 2 games in Tampa as part of their series win, but I fear Florida exhausted themselves beating the Bruins and their emotion will be spent. But again, really hope I am wrong and Maurice continues his run to the Cup. 

Carolina over New Jersey - the Canes just quietly go about their business, but they are an elite team that no one gives credit to. Waiting for the Devils’ rookie goalie to start to wilt under the pressure of challenged. This could go 7 and end in OT. 

Edmonton over Vegas - I think Vegas is a better team, but Edmonton has much better players, Dreisaitl was a monster, and McDavid had the quietest 10 point opening round in recent memory. Wait until he gets rolling. 

Dallas over Seattle - still liking my “dark horse to the Cup final” call on Dallas, Oettinger is the best goalie remaining in the playoffs. 

On 2023-05-01 at 9:38 AM, Noeller said:

the Stanley Cup tournament is officially WIDE OPEN...... insane. And congrats to PaMo...have always loved that guy and was sad when he left Winnipeg. He's an absolute beauty. 

Too bad he's associated with the stink of Florida and what it represents on humanity and how it's being 'led'.

Right, this is sports not politics.

Sorry wrong thread.

Go Leafs? No, even this isn't enough. 🙂

Here’s another article on Maurice. Although all coaches have a shelf life and he had hit his in Winnipeg, I hated all the negative talk about how he couldn’t coach. And his speech in defence of the city when a couple of San Jose players whined about the lousy wi-fi in their hotel makes him a forever favourite of mine. 
https://theathletic.com/4481979/2023/05/02/paul-maurice-panthers-maple-leafs/?source=fbhq

I'm honestly shocked of how well the Kraken are playing.   2nd year team, and they win their first playoff series taking out the defending cup champs.  Wouldn't it be something if Seattle and Florida meet in the final this year?   Lowry vs Maurice.  Maybe it's not just the coaches that were a problem in Winnipeg...