2022 Free Agent Frenzy

I went to a Flames-Jets game years ago in Calgary (flying in from Kelowna) and during the game they announced that the Flames had signed this Gaudreau guy and there was this huge cheer from the crowd and I turned to my Flames fan buddy and said "who?" and he said that he was the future of the franchise.  I don't want to engage in schadenfreude here as all Canadian NHL franchises have to deal with this reality - the US teams are going to entice away our talent, especially any US players that want to play in their own country.  Are we going to be able to keep our guys?  Who knows.  Will Edmonton be able to keep McDavid when he becomes UFA?  I doubt it.  

Edited by kelownabomberfan

32 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I went to a Flames-Jets game years ago in Calgary (flying in from Kelowna) and during the game they announced that the Flames had signed this Gaudreau guy and there was this huge cheer from the crowd and I turned to my Flames fan buddy and said "who?" and he said that he was the future of the franchise.  I don't want to engage in schadenfreude here as all Canadian NHL franchises have to deal with this reality - the US teams are going to entice away our talent, especially any US players that want to play in their own country.  Are we going to be able to keep our guys?  Who knows.  Will Edmonton be able to keep McDavid when he becomes UFA?  I doubt it.  

Gaudreau: American. Doesn't want to live in Calgary or Canada. Jets keep drafting Americans who bail to US teams as soon as they can. Cheveldayoff could have drafted at least one Manitoban or a Western Canada player from the WHL. But nope, why change when there's no accountability from ownership. 

10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

They did, and he actually took a pay cut to give them cap flexibility...and he continues to rave about both the club and the city. He's locked in for long time yet. 

As for the Jets, they've done the risky thing by building around Americans, but *SO FAR* it's worked out okay, as they've been able to re-sign guys like Conner and Hellebuyck, when their contracts came due. 

I think this whole thing is more about Gaudreau and his relationship with Calgary, and to a lesser extent about Americans playing in Canada........ rather than about superstars and small markets. 

10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

It’s easier to let a guy go when you’ve won the Cup and McD will get one for EDM. Just have to get past COL now.

Too bad CAL took the Chevy route and thought they could sign this UFA after the season is over.

For every Stamkos there are 99 others leaving.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It’s easier to let a guy go when you’ve won the Cup and McD will get one for EDM. Just have to get past COL now.

Too bad CAL took the Chevy route and thought they could sign this UFA after the season is over.

Chevy never taken that route. Trouba Copp Kane etc all traded 

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Calgary offered him more. He was leaving all the time. 

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

All UFAs who were able to get more on the open market. What's your point?

He wanted Chevy to trade them to get something in return. Ignoring completely that they were here serving a purpose in their UFA year. 

Calgary probably made 1 million plus per home playoff game. 

They had what? 7 home games or 8? 

That's why they kept Johnny. Playoff money 

Calgary was a contender.  Why the heck would they trade him at that time? And who has the cap for his contract even then? Trade him at the draft? For what and why? A conditional 6th If he signs? 

If they were gonna trade him it was b4 the season, not during. And certainly not after cuz why would anyone if he's certainly going UFA 

Edited by Goalie

I think trading the primadonna Dubois is for the best. Drama seems to follow him around. A 60 point center isn't worth the headache he brings. Columbus knows it, we do too now 

Scheif didn't even try his hardest,  missed multiple games... put up a PPG. Pld couldn't do that playing with KFC who put up over a ppg. 

Not sure I get the Dubois love. Lots has come out about troubles in Columbus and now here. Seems he's got a big head and seems like it's best to move on from him. 

Honestly trade him to the highest bidder. I don't give a crap if he wants to go to Montreal.  Trade him to Arizona if they offer you the best deal  

Kadri at 2 center would be good with me. 

Edited by Goalie