2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Per the Athletic, Pierre-Luc Dubois attended the NHL Draft in Montreal because he believed a trade would be completed on the draft floor.

He is a huge problem in my opinion.  This guy shouldn't be a Jet anymore. Seriously.  Just move him to the highest bidder cuz you can't bring this primadonna back 

Kane Copp Trouba all kept their mouths shut publicly.  

A hard no to me is guys like Dubois. Kadri willing to sign here means he WANTS to be here. I'll take Kadri any day over Dubois 

Edited by Goalie

47 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Has this Kadri stuff come from any reputable source?  I checked Friedman’s feed yesterday, when a friend sent me this tweet, and there was nothing about it.

Only thing i found was his 32 Thoughts podcast where he mentions teams clearing space and COL/NYI but no mention of WPG.

6 hours ago, bb1 said:

Ok tried look this up but no real luck.What advantage is it for a player not to file for arbitration?

They can accept offer sheets. MTL offer sheeted Aho from Carolina couple years ago and CAR matched. Course the Jets could match any offer but what if MTL offered PLD 2y/18m or 16 or 17?

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/08/11/how-offer-sheets-work-in-the-nhl-and-why-they-are-so-rare/

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

If a player truly doesn't want to be here....get rid of him....That's the kind of cancer in your club you don't want....Sounds like PLD is a flake and maybe Torts had it right about him.....Kinda see why Trotz was giving us a miss as well with dressing room issues...Chevy better get this straightened out....NOW

22 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They can accept offer sheets. MTL offer sheeted Aho from Carolina couple years ago and CAR matched. Course the Jets could match any offer but what if MTL offered PLD 2y/18m or 16 or 17?

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/08/11/how-offer-sheets-work-in-the-nhl-and-why-they-are-so-rare/

$6,166,096 – $8,221,463 1 First-Round Pick
1 Second-Round Pick
1 Third-Round Pick

This is the range I would expect PLD to be at.  That's a very steep price for an offer sheet.    Edmonton did that to Dustin Penner, who was fresh off his Stanley Cup Win with Anaheim  (if you also remember that Brian Burke was furious at Kevin Lowe doing that).   Penner turned out to be a bust, and Anaheim attempted to stock it's talent pool, which also didn't materialize to anything.  

Edited by captaincanuck12

On 2022-07-18 at 1:28 PM, captaincanuck12 said:
$6,166,096 – $8,221,463 1 First-Round Pick
1 Second-Round Pick
1 Third-Round Pick

This is the range I would expect PLD to be at.  That's a very steep price for an offer sheet.    Edmonton did that to Dustin Penner, who was fresh off his Stanley Cup Win with Anaheim  (if you also remember that Brian Burke was furious at Kevin Lowe doing that).   Penner turned out to be a bust, and Anaheim attempted to stock it's talent pool, which also didn't materialize to anything.  

Absolutely no way Montreal offer sheets him to any amount that surrenders their 1st round Bedard lottery ticket.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Absolutely no way Montreal offer sheets him to any amount that surrenders their 1st round Bedard lottery ticket.

They can't win it for another 4 years as per rules BUT they can trade it away their chance though.

Guessing it's CHI, AZ, MTL leading the tank way this year.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

So what does it do long term for Canadian clubs if stars leave in free agency or don't want to reup? Feels like you hit a point where Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton aren't viable markets. Ironically losing Canadian teams would drop revenue and hurt the players but I suspect most NHL players are dumb enough to think that Phoenix in a 4800 seat arena actually makes $.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So what does it do long term for Canadian clubs if stars leave in free agency or don't want to reup? Feels like you hit a point where Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton aren't viable markets. Ironically losing Canadian teams would drop revenue and hurt the players but I suspect most NHL players are dumb enough to think that Phoenix in a 4800 seat arena actually makes $.

Think the NHlPA could actually tell these bone heads that if the NHL gets smaller by losing franchises you will lose a lot of hockey jobs?  I know wishful thinking it is all about getting what you can NOW! 😑😏

33 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I feel like I am experiencing 1996 all over again here.

Draft players who want to play here. Sign players who do. The Tkachuks Dubois Trouba etc of the world are not the norm. In some cases it seems family is important,  did covid maybe change some things for certain guys? Yeah it likely did. **** them tho cuz u got plenty of elite talent who still loves playing in Canada. 

Tkachuk Gaudreau Troubas are American and family related I'm sure. You can't fault guys for doing whats best for their wives kids and family. 

Dubois Kane seem to be entitled guys with big heads and ego who think they are bigger stars than they are and want a huge spotlight. More about them and less about family really. Kane seems to have matured tho a wee bit in Edmonton 

Ehlers Connor Helle Wheeler Josh Buff even all signed long term to be here. 

Laine didn't want out. They just didn't think he was worth what he wanted long term. Dubois wanted out of Columbus. He wanted out of his junior team... etc.. apparently he has a few red flags In the past. Dont want guys like that. 

Fact he went to Montreal thinking he was being traded there and get to soak in the adulation of the French fans, man **** these entitled players like him.