Trade deadline thread.

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

22 teams allow less shots against per game, than the jets.

why is their defence so bad?

They've never recovered from Buff leaving.   We have also had the same defense coach for the past 11 years.   It's probably a combination of the system and the players.  We need new leadership, and we need new coaches that bring about a culture change.  If Friedman is saying big changes are on the way, then maybe management finally realizes this team hit it's ceiling 2 years ago.

14 hours ago, Goalie said:

Anyone hear Friedman? Big changes likely this summer coming to the Jets.  Don't be surprised if Helle or and Scheif are not Jets soon.  Scheif is the name that's been out there a while... Helle? Maybe they don't like his attitude and comments he made. If he was having vezina level year maybe not a big deal but... he's not and I think pissed lots of people off. Judging by my eye test the team tries harder for Comrie. 

Friedman ain't wrong much. Don't be surprised.  

Also Reichel signed a 2 year 2 way extension today 

You have a link for what he said? I'm curious.

9 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

They've never recovered from Buff leaving. 

This comment seems like an oversimplification. Trouba, Myers, and Chiarot also left during the 2019 off-season and suitable replacements for losing 2/3 of the blue line have yet to materialize. Pionk has been the only standout in that regard, IMO. DeMelo, Dillon, and Schmidt have been alright but those additions when combined with the system in place have failed to address ongoing and glaring defensive issues with this team.

I agree it's probably a combination of player personnel and coaching staff (system) that's led to the current state of the Jets. A new coaching staff with some fresh ideas should be the top priority going into the 2022-23 season.

17 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This comment seems like an oversimplification. Trouba, Myers, and Chiarot also left during the 2019 off-season and suitable replacements for losing 2/3 of the blue line have yet to materialize. Pionk has been the only standout in that regard, IMO. DeMelo, Dillon, and Schmidt have been alright but those additions when combined with the system in place have failed to address ongoing and glaring defensive issues with this team.

I agree it's probably a combination of player personnel and coaching staff (system) that's led to the current state of the Jets. A new coaching staff with some fresh ideas should be the top priority going into the 2022-23 season.

Buff helped mask the problems but we all knew that the d was a mess. It remains a mess and, yet, Huddy is still employed. Another failure by management. 

16 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I don't believe so.  Buff was a truly one of a kind player.   While I agree losing the other guys hurts, nothing stung as much as the departure of Buff.   Buff was a bang and crasher and forwards were afraid to go to the net while he was on the ice.  None of the Jets defense past or present have that physical edge to their game anymore and its evidenced in the teams current play.  That playoff series against Minnesota was a great example of his physical dominance.  You could always count on Buff to deliver that crucial hit or clear out the player in front of the net.  Granted he had his brain dead moments too but he was a game changer.

it's 100% true that things started steamrolling downhill after Buff left.....but there were other factors in there, as well. We had a really good d corps with Buff, Myers, Trouba, JMo.... and haven't really re-built it since then.

Lots of factors tied to Buff leaving. We had already lost Trouba because he never wanted to stay, so we did the best we could with the trade. But that then made Morrissey more valuable to keep as a future cornerstone defenceman and we overpaid. Should be worth $4.5 and not $6.5 million but that’s the market and the cost of keeping someone in Winnipeg.

Do not underestimate how hard it is to compete in this market. The “draft and develop” model is in place for a reason, because unlike Tampa or Vegas we don’t have nice weather, no taxes, or big city outside attractions to entice free agents, and Andrew Copp is the latest example of a draft and develop player who we would have to had comparatively overpaid or let go once free agency hit. We are the Oakland A’s of hockey in the Yankees world. We can’t compete with the big dogs and build teams the same way, we are card counters, and hopefully our players bloom young enough that we have a strong team before they key pieces ripen fully and command top dollar. That’s what we had in 2018 with Laine, Connor, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrissey, Tanev, Wheeler, etc on the cheap and gambles like Scheifele and Ehlers contracts paid off. Like Colorado now. 

Next problem, Myers was going no matter what and Enstrom retiring, but we thought we had Buff locked in so we didn’t overpay for Chiarot to stay. Then Buff quits but his big salary is still on the books, so we have destroyed our defensive depth but can’t afford to replace it because now contracts to keep Wheeler and Hellebuyck, who were our best two players at the time, plus anticipating Laine and Connor raises. 

Then pandemic and flat cap and Little LTIR, which clears salary off the books but doesn’t allow for cap space to grow but of the weird cap rules. And with the overachieving 2018 year changing expectations, we roll the dice on deadline day and trade away high draft picks for Stastny and then Hayes, eroding our depth. So we sit on what we have at D for two extra years before trying a quasi re-build with Dillon and Schmidt this past year, again with cap implications that hastened Copp’s departure. 

Now, could systems be better? The accountants who like fancy stats say sure, and maybe a different approach is needed, but this is much more layered than just “Buff left” or “coaching culture change” as the sole reason. Such is life in cap era hockey. 

Managing the cap in sports is key....The successful ones like Kyle Walters put together winners....I know football isn't hockey and vice versa BUT it starts with good people with vision.....Making hard choices like in the case of letting Andrew Harris walk is an example of foresight....The Jets don't seem to have that and it has eaten this team up....The Jets are looking at the bottom for a few years until we can rebuild the club to it's winnig ways.....Makes it harder when you're not on every players city of choice and 'go to' place and that's why having exemplary people in place at key positions in management is key...True North has some work to do

My recollection of Meyers is that he could play very well...... he completely shut down Ovi  once in wpg... I dont remember games much, but I remember that one,

but had breakdowns, in his own end, giving up the puck more than you would like.

was it stewart? from those days, that regularly kind of cross checked and beat up opponents?  Think that was the guy.  Might be good to see it bit more rough stuff from our d.

Didnt know huddy  had been here 11 years. Nice run for him.

five time nhl champ counts for a lot.

Need the jets to stay in the race to keep my thoughts away from ukraine devastation.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

That one while tough was understandable we had a team imo that could of won it all and that's the price you had to pay.

We lost every other game after Xmas that season and how many games did we lose in the 3rd period with the lead that year in March? We were not even close to being contenders with 90+ points

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

We lost every other game after Xmas that season and how many games did we lose in the 3rd period with the lead that year in March? We were not even close to being contenders with 90+ points

So, you think Chevy should have sold while the team was making the playoffs?

May as well just moved the team. Fans and players would have quit. 

8 hours ago, captaincanuck12 said:

They've never recovered from Buff leaving.   We have also had the same defense coach for the past 11 years.   It's probably a combination of the system and the players.  We need new leadership, and we need new coaches that bring about a culture change.  If Friedman is saying big changes are on the way, then maybe management finally realizes this team hit it's ceiling 2 years ago.

You have a link for what he said? I'm curious.

It's on his Twitter. I don't have it so can't post the link 

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

Managing the cap in sports is key....The successful ones like Kyle Walters put together winners....I know football isn't hockey and vice versa BUT it starts with good people with vision.....Making hard choices like in the case of letting Andrew Harris walk is an example of foresight....The Jets don't seem to have that and it has eaten this team up....The Jets are looking at the bottom for a few years until we can rebuild the club to it's winnig ways.....Makes it harder when you're not on every players city of choice and 'go to' place and that's why having exemplary people in place at key positions in management is key...True North has some work to do

Can't compare walters because Winnipeg is the premier destination in the CFL and he can cut guys. Chevy is In one of the least desirable destinations in the NHL and can't cut guys. 

Ppl talk about buff lots but enstrom was a big loss too. Dude was exceptionally good at clearing the net... Jets lack that now. Put buff on this team and they likely still struggle altho they would have 2 good d pairs instead of just one 

17 hours ago, Goalie said:

It's on his Twitter. I don't have it so can't post the link 

Can't compare walters because Winnipeg is the premier destination in the CFL and he can cut guys. Chevy is In one of the least desirable destinations in the NHL and can't cut guys. 

Ppl talk about buff lots but enstrom was a big loss too. Dude was exceptionally good at clearing the net... Jets lack that now. Put buff on this team and they likely still struggle altho they would have 2 good d pairs instead of just one 

I agree we are considered the 'place to be' in the CFL but it wasn't always that way....matter of fact we were once the last place CFL players wanted to go.....Great management has changed that and hopefully the Jets can also manage that feat....Just face it ...Wpg. isn't Van. with the views, or Mont./T.O. with all of their night life....we have a football team however with a lot of the talent in the league, built by our current management....Took a long time to get there and I think the Jets can accomplish the same thing....Question would be do the Jets have the right people in place to accomplish that now....I'd say no.....and that's where we need to start

On 2022-03-21 at 7:54 PM, Goalie said:

Anyone hear Friedman? Big changes likely this summer coming to the Jets.  Don't be surprised if Helle or and Scheif are not Jets soon.  Scheif is the name that's been out there a while... Helle? Maybe they don't like his attitude and comments he made. If he was having vezina level year maybe not a big deal but... he's not and I think pissed lots of people off. Judging by my eye test the team tries harder for Comrie. 

Friedman ain't wrong much. Don't be surprised.  

Also Reichel signed a 2 year 2 way extension today 

Found the Friedman quote from Tim and Friends. Your interpretation of his quote is grossly presumptive. He prefaced the comment by saying that Cheveldayoff entered the trade deadline with the mindset that he would try to stay the course for the playoffs even if he subtracted players, the idea being that Winnipeg (and Vancouver) could not abandon the idea of the playoffs given the financial losses they had suffered because of pandemic attendance woes, so they couldn’t be true sellers. He then said, and I quote:

“I think this summer Winnipeg is going to have some very very big decisions to make. Dubois, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, I think there are going to be some interesting discussions potentially about the future of that team.”

No mention of moving any of them. The logical inference is the team, already up against the cap, has to re-sign Dubois this summer as an RFA and the other two big upcoming contracts are Hellebuyck and Scheifele in 2024. It’s quite a leap from that to your conclusion that Hellebuyck has pissed people off, the team doesn’t try as hard for him, he “may not be the guy”, that Comrie could be and has been better, so a trade this summer is likely in the offing. And this for a guy you said 3 weeks ago was on your list of untouchables to be moved. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

I agree we are considered the 'place to be' in the CFL but it wasn't always that way....matter of fact we were once the last place CFL players wanted to go.....Great management has changed that and hopefully the Jets can also manage that feat....Just face it ...Wpg. isn't Van. with the views, or Mont./T.O. with all of their night life....we have a football team however with a lot of the talent in the league, built by our current management....Took a long time to get there and I think the Jets can accomplish the same thing....Question would be do the Jets have the right people in place to accomplish that now....I'd say no.....and that's where we need to start

Wanting to be in Winnipeg in the summer is a big difference from convincing someone to spend their winter in Winnipeg vs Tampa, Miami, Anaheim, etc.... but you are right that there are steps you can take to narrow the gap a bit. Getting star players to sign extensions, as they've done several times so far, proves it can be done!