Trade deadline thread.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Apology in advance for not knowing, but after hearing that Copp wants to stay in Winnipeg long term why not sign him?

His asking price too much, cap issues, combination of the two, other?

Where did you hear those comments? All I have ever heard from the media is that he is set on trying free agency and unlikely to return. If he wanted more than $5 million a year, I’d pass on him. If it was $4 million or less, I’d take a good look. In between that, would need to be dependent on the rest of the team cap room. And right now the team is up against the cap with few salaries coming off the books. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I think it's a cap issue. Where do you fit him in for what he's worth? 

If they traded "C" and/or "A", then I could see some room. 

People just need to stop with all the “trade Wheeler and Scheifele” nonsense, and it is complete nonsense.

Wheeler is not going anywhere, plain and simple. He has a no-move clause, and even if he did not, no one is taking on an $8.5 million contract for a 35 year old with 2 full years remaining. Putting everything else aside, no team has that kind of room in their cap to take him on. Luckily, even as an overpay he is still producing at a point a game rate. Mounting injuries are becoming a concern. And a buyout would cripple the team for two years with nothing in return. Why would any team give up 60-70 points a year to get nothing back and still pay $4.25 million towards your cap. 

As for Scheifele, even in a down year with fans manufacturing attitude issues, he still remains one of the best value contracts in the league for his ability, so you don’t move him from a point of weakness to appease a grumpy fan base. If he is to be moved, it is more likely to come at draft time, not a rush deal at the trade deadline. And you get proper value for a #1 centre, not just a dump move with the team still 2 points out of the playoffs. I not not against trading him, also not against finding a coach who can work on his defensive game. But wishing a trade of 26 and 55 to “change the culture” is abject stupidity driven by a scapegoating fan base that will turn us into the new Edmonton Oilers who tried the same stunt when they moved Eberle, Hall, Yakupov etc all to re-blend a failing team, IMO. The biggest problem contributing to the Jets’ slide has been the unexpected loss of Byfuglien and the inability to re-rebuild the defence since then. The next biggest is not having a good third scoring line or an even average 4th depth line. Getting rid of two of your top 3 scorers out of spite is not the way to remedy that. 

39 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Where did you hear those comments? All I have ever heard from the media is that he is set on trying free agency and unlikely to return. If he wanted more than $5 million a year, I’d pass on him. If it was $4 million or less, I’d take a good look. In between that, would need to be dependent on the rest of the team cap room. And right now the team is up against the cap with few salaries coming off the books. 

People just need to stop with all the “trade Wheeler and Scheifele” nonsense, and it is complete nonsense.

Wheeler is not going anywhere, plain and simple. He has a no-move clause, and even if he did not, no one is taking on an $8.5 million contract for a 35 year old with 2 full years remaining. Putting everything else aside, no team has that kind of room in their cap to take him on. Luckily, even as an overpay he is still producing at a point a game rate. Mounting injuries are becoming a concern. And a buyout would cripple the team for two years with nothing in return. Why would any team give up 60-70 points a year to get nothing back and still pay $4.25 million towards your cap. 

As for Scheifele, even in a down year with fans manufacturing attitude issues, he still remains one of the best value contracts in the league for his ability, so you don’t move him from a point of weakness to appease a grumpy fan base. If he is to be moved, it is more likely to come at draft time, not a rush deal at the trade deadline. And you get proper value for a #1 centre, not just a dump move with the team still 2 points out of the playoffs. I not not against trading him, also not against finding a coach who can work on his defensive game. But wishing a trade of 26 and 55 to “change the culture” is abject stupidity driven by a scapegoating fan base that will turn us into the new Edmonton Oilers who tried the same stunt when they moved Eberle, Hall, Yakupov etc all to re-blend a failing team, IMO. The biggest problem contributing to the Jets’ slide has been the unexpected loss of Byfuglien and the inability to re-rebuild the defence since then. The next biggest is not having a good third scoring line or an even average 4th depth line. Getting rid of two of your top 3 scorers out of spite is not the way to remedy that. 

It was on Twitter today some scribe was chatting with him at the scheduled meets with Jet Players.

50 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The media availability is in this link. Coop’s comments about staying are right at the end. Hw seems to be referencing last year, when he was ready to sign long term but the defence signings put a pin in that. Hw talks about spending as much time with with teammates as possible the next 4 days, and if he gets a couple of extra months he is happy with that. No mention of staying longer. I think he made his mind up when he didn’t get the long term deal that he was going to go to market after this season. Just my take on it. Not hearing that he really wants to stay now. 
https://illegalcurve.com/winnipeg-jets-practice-report-364/

Trade Dillon Stastny Schmidt if you can then. Sign copp and Dubois long term then... well, one of 55 or 26 will likely need to go. 

There's a reason scheifeles name was being thrown around by the insiders. They obviously gauging interest 

Honestly tho 2 points out... I'd try upgrading the bottom 6 on deadline day cuz our current guys ain't doing **** 

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Because they are fans, not GMs

Welcome to a ******* fan site 

16 million in cap with 13 players singed for next year is the actual reason. Jets also have Samberg heinola on the left side who require waivers next season  

Dillons name is out there..  frank Seravelli has said so. He's not a fan 

Edited by Goalie

Chicago gets Tampa 2023 2024 1st for Brandon Hagel  (1.5 aav for 3 years still) 

Sneaky good move by Tampa 

Chicago gets Raddysh and Katchouk also. 

Hagel 2nd 4th 2024 to Tampa for Rad Boris K and 2023 2024 1st. 

Edited by Goalie

Jets making moves to make moves today  

Copp Stastny Dillon all mentioned 

Colorado Boston like Copp 

Justin Barron be a nice RHD prospect 

Ves sent down is interesting.  Signing a journeyman ahl goalie is interesting too. Wonder if Berdin is moved in a trade also. Obviously a throw in.. 

Sounds like the Jets are embracing the sell now but not giving totally up on the season.  

Copp Stastny Dillon and others... 

I'm assuming others are ves maybe Berdin types and not anyone big time 

Edited by Goalie

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

Jets making moves to make moves today  

Copp Stastny Dillon all mentioned 

Colorado Boston like Copp 

Justin Barron be a nice RHD prospect 

Ves sent down is interesting.  Signing a journeyman ahl goalie is interesting too. Wonder if Berdin is moved in a trade also. Obviously a throw in.. 

Sounds like the Jets are embracing the sell now but not giving totally up on the season.  

Copp Stastny Dillon and others... 

I'm assuming others are ves maybe Berdin types and not anyone big time 

The Ves demotion is cap related. Remove his $1.5 million, can bring up 2 minimum salaries from the A and then both Copp and Stastny can be moved but the roster stays at 12 forwards. 

As for the goalie, it is insurance since Berdin is nicked up. 

Dillon might be moved because teams always overpay for D at the trade deadline (see exhibit #8152 Ben Chiarot) and his contract can be absorbed by most team even if tight to the cap. They’ll move him if the offer is too good to pass up, plus they have depth in the minors. 

All per Murat Area’ article. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The Ves demotion is cap related. Remove his $1.5 million, can bring up 2 minimum salaries from the A and then both Copp and Stastny can be moved but the roster stays at 12 forwards. 

As for the goalie, it is insurance since Berdin is nicked up. 

Dillon might be moved because teams always overpay for D at the trade deadline (see exhibit #8152 Ben Chiarot) and his contract can be absorbed by most team even if tight to the cap. They’ll move him if the offer is too good to pass up, plus they have depth in the minors. 

All per Murat Area’ article. 

Was Murat in the Area when the article was written?  😁

Sorry, I’ve had a few beers on my deck today.