2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

Just now, Geebrr said:

I could see Reilly telling BC that he is not taking a pay cut to get trucked 15X a game. He shouldn't re-structure a damn thing until they set out a clear plan to fix their OL.

More teams need to do what the Bombers did a few years ago. Start 3 Americans on the OL and slot in Canadians elsewhere.  Protecting the QB is #1.

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

id take him at 150k for as many years as he wants to sign for.  If I was him I'd gamble on a lower base high incentives deal. I think in an 18 game schedule he'd put up huge numbers. 

I like the idea in theory, but I seem to remember Walters, early in his tenure as GM, saying that he doesn't like incentive deals because it's too much uncertainty for the SMS and makes it a lot harder to manage.

Just now, Sard said:

I like the idea in theory, but I seem to remember Walters, early in his tenure as GM, saying that he doesn't like incentive deals because it's too much uncertainty for the SMS and makes it a lot harder to manage.

Yes he has been on record a few times now that he does not do them. 

Just now, Mark H. said:

More teams need to do what the Bombers did a few years ago. Start 3 Americans on the OL and slot in Canadians elsewhere.  Protecting the QB is #1.

Or do what hamilton did with june jones. Understand that you dont have a 5 man unit that is capable of protecting the qb long enough to run the 5-1 spread and add protection. 11 form with a primary blocking back, 21, 20 etc. 

For years the spread offense was looked down upon as not viable because putting the qb in the gun with 5 ol made him a sitting duck.  The big adjustment that really brought the spread to high level d1 schools and the NFL is versatile TEs, and more recently versatile flex tes. 

The difference between getting pressure of the edge when a TE is on the line vs not is big. Even in block and release or pure route running. Having to run around a line 1 man wider is big. When a team lines up in the pistol with no te you can cut down the qbs time by a lot. Teams will blitz more too. They know one way or another they can cut down the qbs time. Even if they dont get a pressure or a sack they can prevent time to throw a deep ball. With the extra man on the line you can get stalemated in the rush and beat deep. 

15 ish years ago teams had a lot more unique identity in the offense and defense they ran. Today, the variability is very low. The big differences in 21 was 1 mtl/edm running much more RPO (though not running it really well) and 2 the bombers for one running out of farm more sets. Many of the same plays and looks, but with a more varied pre snap look.  The defenses had even less variability. Bend but dont break secondary's and layered pass rushing trying to take away time for the deep ball rules the cfl. 

So every one is fighting to fill the same type of roster gaps, with a limited or none existent supply of players in the market. The success the riders have had (over achieving a lot imo) the last 2 seasons has had a lot to do with a very limited qb who has a different skill set. More teams need to think out side the box and get creative. A team like ottawa has 0 chance of filling all its roster holes and turning into a bluebomber esq team this year. For a team like that to break out, they have to break the mold. 

3 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Side note-- how many teams have won back to back to back championships in cfl history?

in the "Modern Era", I can only think of Edmonton. But I'm sure there's some teams from before 1950 that did it.....when the deck was stacked in favour of Toronto. 

10 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Like our conveyer belt of NI RB talent.

Truth. Rb is the deepest position in all of football. But guys with the passport are still pretty scarce. The argos tried to corner the market on Lbers this year, but didnt really succeed. They just log jammed their roster. The bombers have quietly corner the market on NI rbs. 

7 minutes ago, Sard said:

Thats true, but I was talking from lawlers perspective. For walters, if you are looking at offering say 150k, and get him for 125k but he has the ability to make 175k if he has a tremendous year it could be better then letting him go to FA where some team could offer him 175k out right. Dont forget duke williams made 140k+ last year for 6 games. I could see at the very least TO and ott opening the vault for him. 

2 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Side note-- how many teams have won back to back to back championships in cfl history?

us, montreal 2000s, toronto 90s, the edmonton 5 peat, ott RR 68/69 the bombers twice 58-62, edmonton 3 peat in the 50s, argos 3 peat in the 40s, argos in the late 30s, queens ottawa and hamilton in the 20s, toronto and hamilton prior to ww1. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

us, montreal 2000s, toronto 90s, the edmonton 5 peat, ott RR 68/69 the bombers twice 58-62, edmonton 3 peat in the 50s, argos 3 peat in the 40s, argos in the late 30s, queens ottawa and hamilton in the 20s, toronto and hamilton prior to ww1. 

Cody's asking about THREE-peat's though....not just the repeat. It's very rare...

56 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah and fox reported riley as having 27 years of experience, 10 in the nfl and 17 in college. 😆

Could be that he was gunning for the HC job, and thought he'd have a chance with coach O possible NCAA bound. With coach O staying he's kind of stuck. Montreal is a good team that under performed. He could possibly move up and not just to khari's spot but he could get a front office title too. 

Am I alone in thinking thats atleast 100k more than he should get? I mean oof I would not want to have a guy like that on a base salary that high. 

Yeah he has proven jack in this league and 3 teams chose to let him go already. His salary should have been wayyyy more performance based imo.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti