Jump to content

2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff


Recommended Posts

On 2021-06-30 at 7:57 AM, Brandon said:

You are not impressed by Augustines 6+ yards per carry yet you are impressed by Oliviera's zero carries and one big injury?

That is a weird take.  

His 6ypc is about as relevant as Darvin Adam's passer rating.

 Oliviera has looked great in camp according to all outlets. Mean while Augustine is trying to make the club from the tub. 

On 2021-06-30 at 8:03 AM, M.O.A.B. said:

Worse comes to worst - Harris declines and Augustine/Oliviera/Borsa are not good enough - then we can go back to 🇺🇸 RB. I do think we have 🇨🇦 content to make the switch. 

 

Pretty much. Plus demski can take a good number of carries.  And finding a good imp rb isn't the hardest thing in football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@wbbfan not sure whats your hate for Augustine but to each his own opinion...The only negative sentiment about him comes from you....

Love the Darby signing...solid solid player and great room guy...T.O got fleeced on that one. I would have loved that trade even without Maston going down...gives us tons of options and allows more options with BA as well...awesome pickup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, stevethe3rd said:

Was Maston playing Sam for you guys? I wonder how this effects how you line up? I think Darby played safety last year for most of the year in TO but he is versatile. Maybe he plays safety and you move Alexander to SAM? 

Also any report from camp on who is lining up to the boundary in you defensive backfield? Replacing Rose and Sayles is probably the Bombers biggest question heading into this season.  

Alexander to SAM is definitely a possibility. He's not the worlds most physical guy though so I guess we'll see. Rose and Sayles were fantastic ball hawks last year but they benefitted from a premium pass rush. Our DL this year may be even scarier in pass rush. I expect the boundary, whoever it may be, will be ball hawking again as QBs throw errant balls in terror. Word to the wise....this is going to be Jonathan Kongbo's coming out party this year. That guy is a freak of nature.

16 hours ago, Goalie said:

Otha Peters kind of surprising no  

Yes....he must have had a poor camp and Rocquemore took advantage of his reps and made an impression.

40 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

 

Air...pfft....bunch of sissies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

His 6ypc is about as relevant as Darvin Adam's passer rating.

 Oliviera has looked great in camp according to all outlets. Mean while Augustine is trying to make the club from the tub. 

Pretty much. Plus demski can take a good number of carries.  And finding a good imp rb isn't the hardest thing in football. 

Making the club from the tub doesn't really apply to a guy that's been here for a few years. He made the club a long time ago, the Bombers know what they have in Augustine. It will be up to Oliveira and Borsa (to some extent although I see Borsa more as a Demski type) to demonstrate they are a better option. Augustine is a proven reliable back up capable of carrying the rock when called upon. It's his job to lose and the others must take it from him. Him being injured right now does not change that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

In a covid year going to need two kicks some where on the roster.

I really don't mind Crapigna doing the FG duties this year and providing a year of mentorship for Legs. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Actually Alexander is pretty physical...he could fill it at SAM rather nicely...we have excellent bodies in camp to try there..Antighua too could slot in there

Alexander is not built to take on RBs though. I would worry about his durability at SAM. Great cover guy and tackler though don't get me wrong. Should have said not the most physically imposing guy. I wouldn't want Antigha in there on every play but he could certainly rotate in, particularly on 2nd and short etc when there is a higher probability of a running play.

Edited by GCn20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Booch said:

Actually Alexander is pretty physical...he could fill it at SAM rather nicely...we have excellent bodies in camp to try there..Antighua too could slot in there

Antigha is what I'm thinking too. He has the physicality and speed to man the SAM and would minimize changes in the backend. Alexander in safety spot is the best option we have there. Johnson/Darby/Alexander/Taylor/Jones is not a bad secondary. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I really don't mind Crapigna doing the FG duties this year and providing a year of mentorship for Legs. 

Alexander is not built to take on RBs though. I would worry about his durability at SAM. Great cover guy and tackler though don't get me wrong. Should have said not the most physically imposing guy. I wouldn't want Antigha in there on every play but he could certainly rotate in, particularly on 2nd and short etc when there is a higher probability of a running play.

and small fry Gaitor was??....Alexander is right in line with other SAM's...6 feet..200 pounds....Maston was 5'-11" and 208...basically a wash...don;t put too much into the eye test for how a player can slot in...that SAM guy a lot of times has to deal with a teams top inside receiver moreso than taking on a RB....he'd do just fine there

9 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Antigha is what I'm thinking too. He has the physicality and speed to man the SAM and would minimize changes in the backend. Alexander in safety spot is the best option we have there. Johnson/Darby/Alexander/Taylor/Jones is not a bad secondary. 

actually I think Darby is a better safety than Alexander...but those 5 I think will be the basis of our starting backfield unless a newbie comes in and right steals a spot...which Is a bonus as we will certainly be carrying a extra DB on the roster anyway.

Experienced guys to start the season on both sides of the ball are gonna be key to success this year especially with no pre-season games...We are bringing back our entire starting unit on offence, and basically defence as well...we missing Maston now, as well as Rose and Sayles but are replacing them with CFL vets in Johnson and Darby now...huge huge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Antigha is what I'm thinking too. He has the physicality and speed to man the SAM and would minimize changes in the backend. Alexander in safety spot is the best option we have there. Johnson/Darby/Alexander/Taylor/Jones is not a bad secondary. 

I would think they would want more of a "DB" type guy at SAM. SAM needs to be quick enough to cover receivers but also make tackles in the box. I like Antigha and he can tackle with the best of them, but at 240lbs i cant see him being able to keep up with receivers. He's more of a hybrid DE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I would think they would want more of a "DB" type guy at SAM. SAM needs to be quick enough to cover receivers but also make tackles in the box. I like Antigha and he can tackle with the best of them, but at 240lbs i cant see him being able to keep up with receivers. He's more of a hybrid DE.

Antigha played some reps at SAM with the Riders but they were mostly situational. Imo, he is not a full time solution for the position.

58 minutes ago, Booch said:

and small fry Gaitor was??....Alexander is right in line with other SAM's...6 feet..200 pounds....Maston was 5'-11" and 208...basically a wash...don;t put too much into the eye test for how a player can slot in...that SAM guy a lot of times has to deal with a teams top inside receiver moreso than taking on a RB....he'd do just fine there

actually I think Darby is a better safety than Alexander...but those 5 I think will be the basis of our starting backfield unless a newbie comes in and right steals a spot...which Is a bonus as we will certainly be carrying a extra DB on the roster anyway.

Experienced guys to start the season on both sides of the ball are gonna be key to success this year especially with no pre-season games...We are bringing back our entire starting unit on offence, and basically defence as well...we missing Maston now, as well as Rose and Sayles but are replacing them with CFL vets in Johnson and Darby now...huge huge

I hope you are right about Alexander at SAM because that seems to be the logic behind acquiring Darby.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Isn't Crapigna ******* awful? That's my memory of him, anyhow...... is he really the guy you want mentoring the kid? 

Crapigna was actually pretty good after a rocky start to his career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Actually Alexander is pretty physical...he could fill it at SAM rather nicely...we have excellent bodies in camp to try there..Antighua too could slot in there

I dont know if Antigha has the coverage skills to play there every down. I would expect him to be a situational pass rusher/situational player. He can drop into a zone once in while but I dont think I would trust him in man coverage on a regular basis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, stevethe3rd said:

I dont know if Antigha has the coverage skills to play there every down. I would expect him to be a situational pass rusher/situational player. He can drop into a zone once in while but I dont think I would trust him in man coverage on a regular basis. 

I think with Riders he played some corner...safety...not fulltime but in certain sets....Dude was originally a receiver when he came to Canada out of College, so I'm sure he can run just fine, and can run routes as a DB with a receiver...isn't foreign to him by any stretch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think with Riders he played some corner...safety...not fulltime but in certain sets....Dude was originally a receiver when he came to Canada out of College, so I'm sure he can run just fine, and can run routes as a DB with a receiver...isn't foreign to him by any stretch

Ya he kind of played all over but it was mostly disguised stuff. Like at the snap go from stand up linebacker looking like he is spying the QB to playing a deep half. Things that kind of shock the offence. If he lined up consistently in spot that required coverage and the offence can plan for him I think he would be picked apart. 

I think more likely he may replace Richardson or maybe a linebacker in passing situations and be used as a blitzer , qb spy and occasionally moved around like maybe bring a safety blitz and he drops out and covers for Alexander or whoever is at safety. 

I think a pass rush group of Jefferson, Antigha, Kongbo, and Jeffcoat could potentially get after the Qb at an extremely high rate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...