CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment

JCon

27 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Are you guys stoked for the 2021 CFL Global Draft?!? Apparently it's today. No, TSN will not be covering it. The CFL will interview the top 3 picks (of course we pick 4th...)

Yeah but why cover the CFL when they can stuff a mic in Jeff ONeils face and let him verbally fellate the Leafs?

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You're right about participation, but you're wrong about TSN keeping the price artificially low. Other networks would out bid them if they thought the price was low. TSN pays the going rate for the CFL, maybe a bit more to keep the competition out.

I recall a TSN anniversary special where Rod Smith was talking about them taking over CFL coverage. Said no one else wanted to cover CFL football (CBC and CTV had both dropped it), and it wasn’t really a profitable entity for the network,, but they needed to fill time on a 24 hour sports network. They invented Friday Night Football to create a buzz around the league and have a weekly “event” to make Friday night appointment television for them. Worked really well over time and boosted the visibility of the league on the network. They actually did quite a lot to support the league at the time. Not sure if anything has changed but I would agree that the rates they pay is what the league may be worth. Don’t see the broadcast networks or Sportsnet banging down the door to bid on CFL football. Broadcast TV has essentially given up on sports programming, save for HNIC. 

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You're right about participation, but you're wrong about TSN keeping the price artificially low. Other networks would out bid them if they thought the price was low. TSN pays the going rate for the CFL, maybe a bit more to keep the competition out.

Without competition how do we know what the going rate is? The CFL created the situation of devaluing their product by deciding to partner completely with a cable sports network who isn't exactly the most innovative when it comes to broadcasting games. 

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Without competition how do we know what the going rate is? The CFL created the situation of devaluing their product by deciding to partner completely with a cable sports network who isn't exactly the most innovative when it comes to broadcasting games. 

SN has never really seemed too enthusiastic on CFL coverage of any kind, so what else is out there in the Canadian TV market besides TSN?

I don't think the CFL created this situation, either. The league went with the best option available at the time.

25 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

SN has never really seemed too enthusiastic on CFL coverage of any kind, so what else is out there in the Canadian TV market besides TSN?

I don't think the CFL created this situation, either. The league went with the best option available at the time.

And then when the value of the product went up with better ratings nothing changed. The CFL kept dealing solely with TSN. So, they did create the situation they're in. Also, responding to TBurg's comments about TSN not keeping the price of the tv contract low for theirs & Bell's benefit, there is no way that they are paying full price or even a premium now for their TV product to the detriment of the CFL.

This also drives home the problem of limited revenue streams in this country & why the CFL is in discussion with Red Bird Capital for more money. The cold reality for the haters of the CFL/XFL merger out there is that if the CFL has to go to outside sources to get that money because they can't get it from Canadian government, broadcasters & advertisers then they will be subject to those investors rules & demands. If it means 4 down football & a place for the XFL to play then so be it, I guess. Tradition & 3 down football will mean nothing which is sad. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I think there's a sense of loyalty because TSN took it on when nobody else would. Having said that, I don't know that any other network has even approached the league about possibly broadcasting games. Sure it'd be great to see CBC or S'Net come on board, but if they absolutely want no part of it.......? What can you do? Go back to the days of the CFN with Irving and Neil Lumsden? I don't think that was optimal...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I think there's a sense of loyalty because TSN took it on when nobody else would. Having said that, I don't know that any other network has even approached the league about possibly broadcasting games. Sure it'd be great to see CBC or S'Net come on board, but if they absolutely want no part of it.......? What can you do? Go back to the days of the CFN with Irving and Neil Lumsden? I don't think that was optimal...

And this is why we are where we are. People have to realize that the pandemic changed everything. Revenues are virtually at zero right now. In order to get much needed tv money the league must play but in reality they don't have the money to do it.  The Liberals just turned them down. So, they have to go elsewhere to find it. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The going rate it what TSN is paying. If the going rate was higher, another channel would outbid TSN. If TSN decided to pay less, the CFL wouldn't have any choice but to take it, unless another channel was willing to pick it up for more. It doesn't float. TSN pays the same no matter how many folks are watching. Sometimes they are overpaying. Sometimes they are underpaying, but its all the going rate.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

The going rate it what TSN is paying. If the going rate was higher, another channel would outbid TSN. If TSN decided to pay less, the CFL wouldn't have any choice but to take it, unless another channel was willing to pick it up for more. It doesn't float. TSN pays the same no matter how many folks are watching. Sometimes they are overpaying. Sometimes they are underpaying, but its all the going rate.

Don't believe that for a second until network bids outside of TSN are opened & revealed. No one wins in a monopoly except the one holding the monopoly. So, going rate??? I highly doubt it, though. A monopoly only helps TSN not the CFL. Why would TSN pay top dollar if they're the only one paying for it? They don't run a charity. They run a business. They don't set the bar. They are the bar. 

Again, it comes down to competition & the  league needs more money than they have at present so they have the right to look elsewhere for more financing. And it looks like they have with Redbird Capital. That path though is fraught with risk including the loss of 3 down football.

My first take is that the CFL TV deal isn't enough anymore to sustain the CFL & the league will fold anyway if no new capital is found. If that capital comes from the US & they want a television deal down there then we'll lose 3 down football anyway.  And there'll be nowhere for Canadians to play pro football except the NFL or over in Europe.

My second take is that 3 down football is in danger of extinction no matter what happens. So, if the league folds so will 3 down football in this country. So, the outcome to me is already decided.

What pisses me off is the absolute lack of help from huge stakeholders in the league like ******* TSN & Bell Media. They have offered nothing to help. Not a damned thing. You'd think they'd want to have the CFL on the air for increased ad revenues. Their damned radio station in Toronto won't even acknowledge they have the radio rights. That's why I don't think TSN & Bell Media is paying what the rights are really worth. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Believe what you want to Speed. Doesn't make it true. No other network is interested in out bidding TSN.

The CFL needs money? Hardly a surprise. That's why they are talking with the XFL.

If the CFL goes to 4 downs and NFL like rules, I bet most folks simply watch the NFL. Those who want to go to games and watch the home town team play NFL lite likely aren't enough to keep the CFL/XFL going for more than a couple of years.

I don't believe there are any options for a better TV deal. That is not where my issue with TSN stands. I do believe they're paying market value....my issue is with the seemingly lack of proper representation on TSN. And I think the CFL brass need to push TSN to do a better job of marketing on their end. This past year and the games that were shown is a prime example, it should have only been the most exciting games throughout the years (i believe there is an issue with TSN being able to show older games though). Not games that are only significant because it was the last game played in the stadium etc etc. showcasing old games that end with a score of 15-9 is absolutely unacceptable and I genuinely hope someone was dragged under the bus for that.

This weeks twitter issue is another prime example of TSN forgetting that the CFL is their partner. No global draft coverage, little to no Canadian Draft coverage, allowing NFL products to be showcased during a CFL draft etc etc there are examples after examples of TSN just underserving the CFL. If the CFL really wants to be taken seriously, they HAVE to force TSN to take them seriously first.

Edited by Bigblue204

7 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Believe what you want to Speed. Doesn't make it true. No other network is interested in out bidding TSN.

The CFL needs money? Hardly a surprise. That's why they are talking with the XFL.

If the CFL goes to 4 downs and NFL like rules, I bet most folks simply watch the NFL. Those who want to go to games and watch the home town team play NFL lite likely aren't enough to keep the CFL/XFL going for more than a couple of years.

I can't argue that. But sad that Canadians have turned their backs to our own unique league. 

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I don't believe there are any options for a better TV deal. That is not where my issue with TSN stands. I do believe they're paying market value....my issue is with the seemingly lack of proper representation on TSN. And I think the CFL brass need to push TSN to do a better job of marketing on their end. This past year and the games that were shown is a prime example, it should have only been the most exciting games throughout the years (i believe there is an issue with TSN being able to show older games though). Not games that are only significant because it was the last game played in the stadium etc etc. showcasing old games that end with a score of 15-9 is absolutely unacceptable and I genuinely hope someone was dragged under the bus for that.

This weeks twitter issue is another prime example of TSN forgetting that the CFL is their partner. No global draft coverage, little to no Canadian Draft coverage, allowing NFL products to be showcased during a CFL draft etc etc there are examples after examples of TSN just underserving the CFL. If the CFL really wants to be taken seriously, they HAVE to force TSN to take them seriously first.

I've been ranting about that for years. TSN does a shitty job all around. They spend more money on Milt Stegal's suits than they do on production values & new technology for games. And the young talking heads they have now don't care about the CFL. Anytime these young 20 somethings from Ryerson fail to properly mention the CFL in their sportscasts they need to be hauled into their bosses office & read the Riot Act. There needs to be a lot more accountability but there isn't. 

First league update on nothingburger 2021 is, more nothingburger.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/04/21/oleary-randy-ambrosie-aug-5-kickoff-xfl-talks/

CFL.ca: Are there any updates on your discussions with the XFL and is there a chance that they can factor into this 2021 season?

RA: Our discussions with the XFL have been very positive. What we’re focused on is really understanding what this opportunity might look like. If I back up from there, one of the things that I shared with an alumni group that I spoke with at their annual general meeting last night was what has become increasingly obvious to me is that the business of our league has never been as good as the players who play our game and the game itself.

What we’re looking at and what we’ve been working on on our own is improving our business model. We’ve made a lot of adjustments in the past number of months to make sure that we’ve got the best business model possible. The discussions with the XFL are really focused on that. How would working together help to improve the business model? When you get that answer, you have nearly an infinite list of possibilities on how you would make it work. What our fans really deserve and what our amateur football partners really deserve is a business that’s as good as our game. That’s what we’re working to deliver here.

We don’t have those answers today but we do know that we are working with world class people. Every time you are on a call with them, you are struck by how genuine, authentic, how sincere they are in trying to determine if there is an opportunity to do better, do better together in some form. That’s been the spirit of our discussion so far.

PS, has the XFL 3.0 folded yet?

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

CFL.ca: Are there any updates on your discussions with the XFL and is there a chance that they can factor into this 2021 season?

RA: Our discussions with the XFL have been very positive. What we’re focused on is really understanding what this opportunity might look like. If I back up from there, one of the things that I shared with an alumni group that I spoke with at their annual general meeting last night was what has become increasingly obvious to me is that the business of our league has never been as good as the players who play our game and the game itself.

What we’re looking at and what we’ve been working on on our own is improving our business model. We’ve made a lot of adjustments in the past number of months to make sure that we’ve got the best business model possible. The discussions with the XFL are really focused on that. How would working together help to improve the business model? When you get that answer, you have nearly an infinite list of possibilities on how you would make it work. What our fans really deserve and what our amateur football partners really deserve is a business that’s as good as our game. That’s what we’re working to deliver here.

We don’t have those answers today but we do know that we are working with world class people. Every time you are on a call with them, you are struck by how genuine, authentic, how sincere they are in trying to determine if there is an opportunity to do better, do better together in some form. That’s been the spirit of our discussion so far.

#randyspeak. Codeword for nothing at all.

On 2021-04-21 at 11:12 AM, wbbfan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9494200

What Randy Ambrosie is actually saying.... Well, not really. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 1 month later...

On top of this nothing burger doug flutie just announced the return of the usfl as a new spring football league in the us. Even further diluting the us spring football market. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the xfl 3.0 leadership when they found this out. They have a partnership agreement with fox who owns a stake in the owners of the league. 

Fox as we all know carried the TV rights to the xfl 2.0. 

https://3downnation.com/2021/06/03/doug-flutie-announces-united-states-football-league-returning-in-spring-2022/

Watch the merger suddenly take on a more serious tone with some urgency. No way the XFL/CFL if they merge want another league setting up shop in the big media markets in the US next year. If this new USFL is going to go in 2022 then I think the XFL/CFL will as well.

Edited by SpeedFlex27