The Retirement Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Does he join Daigle / Yakupov amongst the all time biggest draft busts?

To me, there's a difference between players would could not live up to their expectations and a player who, due to health issues, didn't get the chance to.  We'll never know what Patrick could have done had he been healthy but we know what a healthy Daigle & Yakupov did.

19 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

To me, there's a difference between players would could not live up to their expectations and a player who, due to health issues, didn't get the chance to.  We'll never know what Patrick could have done had he been healthy but we know what a healthy Daigle & Yakupov did.

this. Patrick was a really good player for the Wheaties.... injuries just derailed what would have been a productive NHL career. BIG difference between him and guys like Daigle, Yak and PoolParty...

Id agree with those saying theres a difference between guys who got years in the league vs a guy who might have got 1 full season due to injuries and other issues.  Patrick was a good player, perhaps taken a bit earlier in the draft than he should have been though. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I thought Patrick was healthy and bombed and then was hurt/unhealthy and traded and fizzled out?  He did play 70+ games in his first two seasons and I do remember the chatter being him being a huge bust early on.      

Either way unfortunate.  

he had injury problems going back to his Brandon time and there was talk at that draft about how much it would affect his draft ranking...

39 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he had injury problems going back to his Brandon time and there was talk at that draft about how much it would affect his draft ranking...

Yes, which is why he was a risky pick. But, the talent was there, it was just his body that gave out. Too bad for a kid that was in line to be an elite centre at the NHL level. 

51 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Would someone like Laine be considered a disappointment even though he has put up good numbers?  

laine scored the majority of goals with the Jets, He's been lost in Columbus since he got there. He might respond positively coming back here now that Wheeler is gone. as a fan, I'd be open to that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nikolai Khabibulin has retired for a second time. He retired from the NHL in 2014 and went on to become the goaltender coach for the KHL's Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. On December 27th, 2023, Khabibulin un-retired to play goal for Torpedo at age 50. He announced today he's finally hanging up his playing skates for good.

23 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Nikolai Khabibulin has retired for a second time. He retired from the NHL in 2014 and went on to become the goaltender coach for the KHL's Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. On December 27th, 2023, Khabibulin un-retired to play goal for Torpedo at age 50. He announced today he's finally hanging up his playing skates for good.

wow goalie at age 50.  I bet he was going through a lot of Advil lol...