2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

So the companies that will now legally be able to accept bets in Canada, are going to pay the CFL a LOT (15-20 million is an estimate) to allow betting on their games. Each team is expected to net around 2 million bucks from this endeavour. 

I did not realize the league needed to give permission to allow betting on it. 

28 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I did not realize the league needed to give permission to allow betting on it. 

That is my understanding of the situation. But the gambling houses make so much ******* money... They pay each of the leagues a pile of money and it's still only a fraction of what they're taking in. It's really quite the racket... 

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That is my understanding of the situation. But the gambling houses make so much ******* money... They pay each of the leagues a pile of money and it's still only a fraction of what they're taking in. It's really quite the racket... 

Do you know if the Government gets a cut? I mean, they did need to approve it in a bill. Would seem to be a good tax revenue stream for them. 

58 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It’s money from sponsorships to be the official betting partner for cfl or individual teams or from cfl selling it’s statistical data to gambling companies but with this I am not sure cfl has much in terms of next generation stats.

I'm not one for sports wagering... I absolutely do not understand the random numbers that Hustler is always talking about...... All I know is the league and its member clubs are expected to net 15-20 million from this, with each club getting around 2 million.... Based on estimates. 

Just what I've read on Twitter via CFL News and other feeds... 

Going out on a limb to say Medlock will be in that “more to come” list. 

In the “came out of nowhere but yeah I guess it makes sense” group, I would put:

Pat Neufeld (aging, body beat up a lot, younger competition) 

Jake Thomas (stuck it out a long time to get that Cup, not playing full time in games, may want to go out on top),

Stanley Bryant (35, oldest on the team, punishing position, but his new contract makes this more surprising if it happens) 

Nick Taylor (at 33, oldest DB in a position that sees a lot of turnover and losing a step is a big hindrance)

And maybe a big surprise, but Andrew Harris (34, bruising position, more than any other player, going out on top would be very meaningful given the turmoil of the year, the fallout with opposing players and the media who called him out, getting revenge with the MOP and Canadian awards in the game, and capping his career with returning the championship to his hometown, like Bryant, the new contract signing would suggest he is fully prepared to come back, so this falls on the more shocking end of the spectrum)

All purely speculative with no evidence one way or another. Players do like their last memory to be a positive one for sure, and curious to see if some players get back to camp and the grind of it really hits home after a season off if they were wavering. We shall see.  

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Going out on a limb to say Medlock will be in that “more to come” list. 

In the “came out of nowhere but yeah I guess it makes sense” group, I would put:

Pat Neufeld (aging, body beat up a lot, younger competition) 

Jake Thomas (stuck it out a long time to get that Cup, not playing full time in games, may want to go out on top),

Stanley Bryant (35, oldest on the team, punishing position, but his new contract makes this more surprising if it happens) 

Nick Taylor (at 33, oldest DB in a position that sees a lot of turnover and losing a step is a big hindrance)

And maybe a big surprise, but Andrew Harris (34, bruising position, more than any other player, going out on top would be very meaningful given the turmoil of the year, the fallout with opposing players and the media who called him out, getting revenge with the MOP and Canadian awards in the game, and capping his career with returning the championship to his hometown, like Bryant, the new contract signing would suggest he is fully prepared to come back, so this falls on the more shocking end of the spectrum)

All purely speculative with no evidence one way or another. Players do like their last memory to be a positive one for sure, and curious to see if some players get back to camp and the grind of it really hits home after a season off if they were wavering. We shall see.  

I dont see harris calling it yet. My dark horse would be darvin adams. Hes had a lot of ups and downs, fought a bunch of injuries and the nfl window is closed. Hes a very physical blocker, and that takes a lot out of you.

The big thing thatll push guys to retirement though is their home life. Guys who got great jobs in the missing season and may not be able to return to it. 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I dont see harris calling it yet. My dark horse would be darvin adams. Hes had a lot of ups and downs, fought a bunch of injuries and the nfl window is closed. Hes a very physical blocker, and that takes a lot out of you.

The big thing thatll push guys to retirement though is their home life. Guys who got great jobs in the missing season and may not be able to return to it. 

Yeah, but he likes trash talking so much. I bet he sticks around in order to get in some more yapping. And, now that he's a Grey Cup Champion, he'll do it even more. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I'd bet a years salary Harris is one of the first guys to show up for camp. No change he's done. And Adams has posted videos of him doing football drills on his IG. 

I could see Neuf calling it. I don't think Bryant is done just yet. He wants to build a legacy here. 

the Bombers posted a pic on their social media of Adams getting his vaccine, so he'd be ready to go....encouraging fans to do likewise. Don't think DA is done yet. Neufeld has been quoted in recent Tait pieces as being really fired up and ready to go, so don't think he's calling it just yet. What will be interesting of course, is how many guys THINK they're ready to go, but when they actually get into 2-A-Day's, realize that they just don't have the legs anymore....

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd bet a years salary Harris is one of the first guys to show up for camp. No change he's done. And Adams has posted videos of him doing football drills on his IG. 

I could see Neuf calling it. I don't think Bryant is done just yet. He wants to build a legacy here. 

I dont think we are gonna see any regular guy other than medlock call it. 

The great job Walters did in the off season to re-sign our key players will play a big part in players wanting to stick around for another run....No guarantees we will repeat BUT we sure have a good shot at another title with the solid corps still in place...I'm sure any players entertaining retirement will run that around in their head before pulling the pin...I don't think, that other than Meds., we'll see an exit of any of our key talent