Random Jets News

52 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

How did we go from being one of the best teams - to being a place where players don't want to play?  

It is a combination,unfortunately Winnipeg has always been at the bottom of the list because of our winter's and taxation and smaller city. Now though you add million dollar player's whims to the list (Gaudreau, Dubois) and no trade destinations it really becomes tough for a small market team. Unfortunately greed runs it all now....

Edited by bb1

On 2022-07-18 at 10:23 AM, bigg jay said:

We don't know how long the talk has been going on behind the scenes.  There was obviously discussions going on beforehand if PLD went to the draft, expecting a deal to be done.  

I agree bailing on two consecutive teams is not a good look on him though.

Dubois doesn't care,.

Bottom line, it sounds like he’s definitely thinking about moving on from the Jets.  I haven’t read through all of his comments yet, but he doesn’t say, I’d like to stay in Winnipeg, but I want to also see what free agency has to offer.  The fact that he’s not even mentioning the Jets and long term, sort of tells you where his head is at.

I might be in the minority here, but I'll take this at face value.  He's excited to play hockey on this team for 1 more year.   Based on the off ice bullshit (dressing room, coach resigning, etc.) that the Jets went through, he's using this year as his measuring stick.  If Bowness can right the ship, I do believe PLD would sign long term. 

The way I look at it, PLD was telling the Jets, hey if you want me, you need to get things fixed around here.  

That being said, this is a terrible way to do it, and just answer the question honestly.  if you want to test free agency, then just say so.  The team has enough drama, we don't need anyone else adding to it.

On 2022-07-20 at 7:09 AM, Mark H. said:

How did we go from being one of the best teams - to being a place where players don't want to play?  

For the first time, I'm rapidly losing interest in this team. Chevy has just ground me to dirt with his management style & refusing to deal with our locker room iissues. Now we had PLD playing a Diva wanting out. Naturally, we sign the guy for a year just so we can trade him away for someone else's sloppy seconds. Chipman should have fired Chevy after this eff up of a season but gives him a new 3 year deal. 

On 2022-07-25 at 12:27 PM, iHeart said:

sometimes I wonder if it's the players that don't want to be here or if it's their agents that don't want to be here (or don't want them to be here)

players in a bigger market have more opportunity for earning promotion dollars for doing ads.  Rolling your eyes in a car commercial is about all the Jets have for opportunities to earn money outside of hockey.  Agents get a cut of total revenue so they naturally want their clients in bigger markets.  Though not sure how much more dough Dubois would earn in Montreal over Winnipeg from endorsements.  

14 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

players in a bigger market have more opportunity for earning promotion dollars for doing ads.  Rolling your eyes in a car commercial is about all the Jets have for opportunities to earn money outside of hockey.  Agents get a cut of total revenue so they naturally want their clients in bigger markets.  Though not sure how much more dough Dubois would earn in Montreal over Winnipeg from endorsements.  

A French guy in a French market?  Probably a lot.

Of course a bigger market would have more local sponsorship opportunities. Winnipeg could never compete with a Montreal or Toronto.

Fortunately, though, NHL players get all kinds of sponsorship opportunities irrespective of the market in which they play. IIRC, Scheifele is sponsored by Warrior Hockey.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Of course a bigger market would have more local sponsorship opportunities. Winnipeg could never compete with a Montreal or Toronto.

Fortunately, though, NHL players get all kinds of sponsorship opportunities irrespective of the market in which they play. IIRC, Scheifele is sponsored by Warrior Hockey.

I was more referring to a French guy in a French market.

On 2022-07-27 at 6:59 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

...players in a bigger market have more opportunity for earning promotion dollars for doing ads.  Rolling your eyes in a car commercial is about all the Jets have for opportunities to earn money outside of hockey.  

8 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Me either.  Pure speculation.  But you’d think there would be more opportunities there, commercially.

Hey Mark Scheifele is ingrained into my mind. Thanks MPI!

Im surprised McD/Matthews do ads. Already pulling in 10 or close to it.