Covid-19

JCon

Some pretty interesting stats shared by Dr Rousin today. Of the current hospitalizations the age range is 17 to 88. Patients in ICU include people in their 20s, 30s and 40s. 

Not just one demographic is having serious outcomes. Also not all have pre existing conditions that make them more susceptible to serious outcomes. 

If you have a chance these are almost always a good listen.

https://youtu.be/Vu1mILB65Ks

On 2020-10-02 at 3:44 PM, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else feel the government is inconsistent with its guidelines? Don't do Thanksgiving with people outside your household but Halloween is ok or Don't do Thanksgiving but bars are still open? Or limit your contacts with others but people can still play hockey, soccer etc.

Which is why a segment of Canadians are resistant to rules like masks or non compliant. Thye mixed messaging by government everywhere in this country. Canadians don't trust what they are being told.

5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Fixed it for ya :D

No CANADIANS don't. You have mixed messages everywhere. From all levels of government & from all parties in power in different provinces. Read what rebusrankin said before you try to do stand up comedy here. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Mark, do you realize that if we don't change the way we're doing things that in a year from now there is a good chance that high percentage of airlines will be out of business? Transportation & tourism will be devastated. It'll be the same in other industries across the board & that we'll be in a full blown depression similar to or worse than the Great Depression of the 1930's. These quarantine measures just can't continue the way they are now for any economic recovery. The job losses worldwide will be staggering. Temporarily yes, they were necessary but as time goes on they will become unsustainable.

We have to rely on science to help with the changes. The way Covid 19 is treated in hospital from March until today has changed because we know more about the virus than we did then. Mortality rates appeared to have dropped. Less people in hospital & ICU. When tens of millions around the world are suffering because they are unemployed, is it any worse than getting sick with Covid? No jobs, wars, mental anguish, homelessness, marriages & the family unit breaks down, increased violent crime. suicide & poverty. I don't know if being sick with the virus will ultimately be worse. We will have to open up totally at some point & that includes borders for travel even if the virus is present. 

Then they will need to work towards more accurate testing.  Look man, I know people who tested negative after travel, but then later tested positive and infected others.  Things are going to change for airlines, not only due to less tourism, but also due to more Zoom meetings. A rapid test won’t change that. 

On 2020-10-02 at 2:44 PM, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else feel the government is inconsistent with its guidelines? Don't do Thanksgiving with people outside your household but Halloween is ok or Don't do Thanksgiving but bars are still open? Or limit your contacts with others but people can still play hockey, soccer etc.

Churches can operate with social distancing... to a maximum capacity of 500...

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No CANADIANS don't. You have mixed messages everywhere. From all levels of government & from all parties in power in different provinces. Read what rebusrankin said before you try to do stand up comedy here. 

You are implying that Brian Palliser is Liberal...  you've gone full ISO these days... time for a two week timeout I think 

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Some pretty interesting stats shared by Dr Rousin today. Of the current hospitalizations the age range is 17 to 88. Patients in ICU include people in their 20s, 30s and 40s. 

Not just one demographic is having serious outcomes. Also not all have pre existing conditions that make them more susceptible to serious outcomes. 

If you have a chance these are almost always a good listen.

https://youtu.be/Vu1mILB65Ks

I clicked on the link but can't handle that much Roussin...

Made it here...  https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/?archive=&item=49358

Interesting because I know that the 'Northern Health region' case is actually someone living in Winnipeg but just had a northern health card...

Testing is below national average so our infection rate is likely artificially high if tests are skewed towards symptomatic

The three new deaths are again from long-term care homes... but I see no new precautions for those locations

I know for a fact that the Steinbach care home staff were not informed they had covid positive patients until a week after diagnosis.

Of the ICU patients, the age range is 17-88 then of the six people - one is 17, one is 88, one is 20s, one 30s, one 40s and one unknown age...

So I guess we assumed the three new ICU admissions are the younger demographic

Health Canada approves the first rapid test: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/health-canada-antigen-test-abbott-1.5751939

Health Canada regulators today approved another rapid COVID-19 test — the first antigen device to receive the necessary approvals for use in this country.

U.S.-based Abbott Laboratories can now sell and distribute the Panbio COVID-19 Ag Rapid Test Device, which can produce results in less than 20 minutes.

The test is advertised as a solution for mass testing in "decentralized settings." Health Canada has authorized it as a point of care test, meaning it can be used by trained professionals in pharmacies, walk-in clinics or doctors' offices.

9 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I remain anonymous for reasons, but I'm close enough to the situation to know that your source not being informed was not the fault of Bethesda Place.  

Bethesda was not informed by Manitoba Public Health...

27 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

A.  That was not your original claim

B.  Still not buying it. 

Don't tell me what my original claim was just because you now don't have an argument

Staff worked at the care home without knowing there were covid positive patients present.  That was the original claim - you said its 100% false - seeming like you had a counterpoint - and now you just shrug and say well I still don't believe it anyway... typical of how people argue nowadays.

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Don't tell me what my original claim was just because you now don't have an argument

Staff worked at the care home without knowing there were covid positive patients present.  That was the original claim - you said its 100% false - seeming like you had a counterpoint - and now you just shrug and say well I still don't believe it anyway... typical of how people argue nowadays.

Your claim was that they were not informed for a week without saying by who.  Not sure that was on purpose to make it harder to refute or just an honest omission of an important detail.

I can tell you that this came as no surprise to anyone on campus when it was first reported (less than a week after the test result came back).

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Your claim was that they were not informed for a week without saying by who.  Not sure that was on purpose to make it harder to refute or just an honest omission of an important detail.

I can tell you that this came as no surprise to anyone on campus when it was first reported (less than a week after the test result came back).

Obviously you have a stake in this game so you want to twist my original statement 

And your second paragraph is 100% false unless you are calling this staff member a liar

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Obviously you have a stake in this game so you want to twist my original statement 

And your second paragraph is 100% false unless you are calling this staff member a liar

I have no stake beyond trying to preserve truth, regardless of the topic.  It just so happens I have a pretty good idea about what actually happened in this case, although I had no direct involvement.

What I do have is a very good idea of the measures that have been taken to protect patients and staff since March.

I don't know why this staff person didn't get or process the information.  There's a lot of places communication can break down and the fault doesn't always lie where someone claims it does. 

Is the claim that no one knew or just this one person didn't know?  

Is the claim that they didn't know a person was tested because they were suspected of having COVID?  

Is the claim that they knew that this person was a potential risk, wasn't put into isolation and staff were exposed?

Is the claim that they knew this person was a risk, but MB Public Health wouldn't provide results, even though proper/enhanced isolation, sanitizing and screening had been implemented?

It's a pretty broad claim that has a lot of potential holes.

Yeah as an impartial observer your first claim is different than the 2nd and this whole argument is a he said /she said argument. 

This is why it's always risky to use one person's story as gospel. Lots of people miss things in a work setting all the time. Lord knows I see it all the time when things get missed in at work communications. 

59 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah as an impartial observer your first claim is different than the 2nd and this whole argument is a he said /she said argument. 

This is why it's always risky to use one person's story as gospel. Lots of people miss things in a work setting all the time. Lord knows I see it all the time when things get missed in at work communications. 

Not to mention that these staff are represented by some pretty good unions.  If they were put in danger, the unions would have let everyone know.