Covid-19

JCon

man, the one thing I'll say for Alberta....they did testing right. You book your appointment in advance, drive in and drive out. Little to no waiting. We're now doing nearly 20,000 tests per day. Did more than 18,500 on Sunday, and have been averaging about 16,000.....

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

man, the one thing I'll say for Alberta....they did testing right. You book your appointment in advance, drive in and drive out. Little to no waiting. We're now doing nearly 20,000 tests per day. Did more than 18,500 on Sunday, and have been averaging about 16,000.....

They've promised us 3,000 tests a day for months but have only closed sites. We're not doing this well. We're trying to be as bad as Ontario at handling this. 

And, apparently, just telling us to remember the fundamentals is not having the outcome they had hoped for. Shocking. 

Edited by JCon

Yes, something was immediately strange about that King's Head story.  I heard an interview with the owner on Monday morning, and it sounded like he was on the ball when it came to Covid.  Then I saw the article - decided to wait for more info to emerge...

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

And, apparently, just telling us to remember the fundamentals is not having the outcome they had hoped for. Shocking. 

Time to turn down the music...

And then there's this covidiot: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-anti-mask-chris-sky-quarantine-protest-1.5741822

A York region man who has consistently rallied against health measures meant to keep people safe during the COVID-19 pandemic broke his federally-imposed travel quarantine this weekend to speak at an anti-lockdown rally in downtown Toronto.

Social media posts show that Chris Saccoccia, who has also identified himself as "Chris Sky" both in interviews and online, spoke at an anti-lockdown rally in Ireland on Sept. 12.

The 37-year-old then spoke to a crowd at an anti-mask/anti-lockdown rally in downtown Toronto last Saturday. A post on Saccoccia's Facebook page indicated he landed back in Canada on Sept. 20.

What a ******* jerk.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Unfortunately Alberta is going backwards on testing so all those early successes are not going to be held onto. Turn around times on results are getting longer, it's taking longer to get appointments and they are ending a lot of the asymptomatic testing.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Unfortunately Alberta is going backwards on testing so all those early successes are not going to be held onto. Turn around times on results are getting longer, it's taking longer to get appointments and they are ending a lot of the asymptomatic testing.

I’m not sure if slowing down or stopping asymptomatic testing is necessarily bad - asymptomatic individuals will often test negative.  I personally know someone who tested negative but continued to social distance because of travel - they tested positive about 5 days later, after the onset of symptoms. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

I’m not sure if slowing down or stopping asymptomatic testing is necessarily bad - asymptomatic individuals will often test negative.  I personally know someone who tested negative but continued to social distance because of travel - they tested positive about 5 days later, after the onset of symptoms. 

oh no I'm not saying it's bad and the reasons for doing are basically that with cold season upon us there will be more symptoms so testing capacity will be challenged by that. 

Alberta did a lot of things right initially,  but Jason kenney got bored with that and is going full regressive on it now. He thinks if the economy gets better people will stop hating him for all the other crap he is trying to do.

1 hour ago, Stretch said:

Just checked...we've now passed Saskatchewan for 5th place in total cases in Canada (behind Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, and BC). C'mon Manitoba, let's get it together!

Waddya expect when they can't have family reunions. It will also drastically reduce their birth rate.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/italy-europe-covid-19-devastated-1.5744934

...Italy, the first European country to be devastated by COVID-19 with almost 35,875 deaths, now has among the lowest infection and death rates in Europe. An average of 1,700 people a day tested positive in the past week, up from low hundreds in July, though they're much lower than in other countries.

Italian President Sergio Mattarella responded, "We Italians also love freedom. But we know how to be serious, too."

"Italy is doing well because we have implemented very strict rules, and we did so early," said the country's deputy health minister, Pierpaolo Sileri. "The situation today is a sum result of the quick and relatively long lockdown but also the gradual easing that allowed us to adjust protocols as we went along."

33 minutes ago, JCon said:

If only we could be like Sweden and experience more than double the number of deaths per capita. 

Who in your family would you sacrifice? Someone elderly? A dis-owned uncle? 

I suggest you review the current information available.  You are repeating dogma from this April when everyone denounced Sweden's long-term approach.

For the last three months, Sweden is averaging comparable or possibly lower per capita covid deaths than Canada

Maybe something will change but at present there is absolutely no second wave in Sweden - but feel free to keep villainizing them instead of learning something

Just now, Floyd said:

I suggest you review the current information available.  You are repeating dogma from this April when everyone denounced Sweden's long-term approach.

For the last three months, Sweden is averaging comparable or possibly lower per capita covid deaths than Canada

Maybe something will change but at present there is absolutely no second wave in Sweden - but feel free to keep villainizing them instead of learning something

I can read, thanks. 

I would prefer to keep the deaths as low as possible. Just because Sweden killed off a lot of people early on and fewer are dying now that should not be a model to follow. Still twice as many deaths. In fact, the top ten countries with the most deaths per capita are all ones that did a horrible job addressing the Rona. 

Praising them now for killing people early seems odd.