Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

If someone in your household has been tested, to me everyone in that household should self isolate until the results come back, asymptomatic or not. There have already been multiple instances in my kid's school alone where a child is at home due to a recent test, but their sibling is still going to school. The province would tell you that is perfectly acceptable, but to me it makes absolutely no sense.

Thats weird. Even at my daughters daycare, if anyone even has 1 symptom at home, she's not allowed in.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Thats weird. Even at my daughters daycare, if anyone even has 1 symptom at home, she's not allowed in.

The daycare at our school had a positive test. The daycare is divided into three cohorts - infants, pre-school, and school age. The pre-school portion was closed because they had the positive test. The sibling of one of the pre-schoolers, who was a close contact, had to get tested but their older sibling, school age, did not and continues to go to school while waiting for test results. 

Edited by JCon

Just now, JCon said:

The daycare at our school had a positive test. Three cohorts - infants, pre-school, and school age. The pre-school portion was closed. The sibling of one of the pre-schoolers, who was a close contact, had to get tested but their older sibling, school age, did not and continues to go to school while waiting for test results. 

Wtf...mandatory or not, as a parent i would not feel comfortable sending my kid to school if the other was possibly exposed and waiting on a test result.

At some point, people need to take control and not just wait for Mr government to tell them what to do.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

If you've been in contact with someone who's tested positive, this is what I'm hearing. 

However, if you're child is sick with a cold, without knowingly coming in contact with someone who has tested positive, you do not. 

There are kids at my childrens' school who have siblings who've become sick with a cold or something, where the sibling has gone for testing, who do not have to be self-isolated. 

Ok, that's what you mean.  I think the answer to that is, they have enough to do contact tracing the people who have been in contact with a positive test.  They literally contact people every day until their isolation is done.  I can't imagine them doing that for what could potentially be just a cold.  It comes down to people doing the right thing on their own. 

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wtf...mandatory or not, as a parent i would not feel comfortable sending my kid to school if the other was possibly exposed and waiting on a test result.

At some point, people need to take control and not just wait for Mr government to tell them what to do.

It's been the same at all the schools which had cases and the cohorts are sent home. 

The challenge we're (my fam) going to have is that if one of child's cohorts gets shut, they come home and do remote learning for a couple of weeks - not great but not the worst - BUT my other child won't get remote learning because they can still go to class. 

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Damn straight - and the school system would function a lot better with fewer sick days needed, if this had always been the practice.  I know it's tough to keep kids at home, but if everyone did it, it would be required less often. 

random note from here in AB: The province just did a record 25,383 tests in the last 24 hours. 277 new cases from that, which = approx 1.1% TP. Unfortunately hospitalizations are way up (86 with 11 ICU) but an absolutely staggering number of tests completed anyhow...

28 minutes ago, iHeart said:

god I am not looking forward to the long weekend case count **opens up imaginary flask**

auuuuuuggggggghhhhhh

It's not the case count you should be concerned about. It's the number of people in hospital & those in ICU, How many beds were set aside for Covid 19 patients. how many beds are occupied & how many are left. Is the Manitoba healthcare system being overwhelmed or not?

That fact that 2 weeks in to code orange the case counts are still rising is a little alarming. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's not the case count you should be concerned about. It's the number of people in hospital & those in ICU, How many beds were set aside for Covid 19 patients. how many beds are occupied & how many are left. Is the Manitoba healthcare system being overwhelmed or not?

Manitoba is likely in a unique position as far as hospitalizations. We have an empty hospital set up as a dedicated CV19 hospital if needed. The old Women’s Pavilion at HSC was closed in December when the new Women’s Hospital opened. We have greater capacity that we normally would if required. 

Normal ICU beds available in MB is 89. 

2 hours ago, GCJenks said:

That fact that 2 weeks in to code orange the case counts are still rising is a little alarming. 

Manitoba is likely in a unique position as far as hospitalizations. We have an empty hospital set up as a dedicated CV19 hospital if needed. The old Women’s Pavilion at HSC was closed in December when the new Women’s Hospital opened. We have greater capacity that we normally would if required. 

Normal ICU beds available in MB is 89. 

What are the numbers in Manitoba? Alberta has over 900 beds dedicated for Covid. As of today, we have 86 in hospital & 11 in intensive care.  

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else feel like Manitoba is in trouble? I feel like more restrictions are coming.

It’s possible but what would it be? Can’t justify closing schools when there isn’t transmission there. Can’t force businesses to close without federal wage support for 100’s of thousands that just isn’t there. 

I think we stay where we are until we see rampant transmission in a sector or our hospitalizations are over 100 and climbing. 

This is what they have been planning and preparing for the last 6 months. We all just need to be better when we are out. Even today I saw 12 cars at one house, can’t believe each of those only had 1 person in it and 2 lived there.