2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

While the CFL and the CFLPA are awaiting the confirmation of federal government funding before agreeing to an amended CBA for a shortened season, it now appears that the government wants confirmation of an agreement before agreeing to assistance.

According to a report from Dan Ralph of the Canadian Press, an anonymous source close to the private government negotiations say both federal and provincial governments want additional certainty before they agree to any funding within the $42.5 million dollar ask.

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/27/government-wants-certainty-from-the-cfl-before-giving-assistance-report/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

👁‍🗨 (Isn’t one of the sticking points of an agreement that the governments agree to saying yes before they can come to an agreement?)

As always, the cflpa will fold faster than superman on laundry day. They just don't have as much bargaining power as they would like to have. There are probably thousands of guys out there who would love the opportunity to play professional football and unlike the NFL you don't have the best of the best to make it mean anything.

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

“Latest word today from Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage on CFL request for financial aid: “Our government recognizes how important the CFL and professional sport is for many Canadians, as well as a display of incredible Canadian athletes,” he tweeted Monday.

As is typical of Trudeau this will go on forever. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

As always, the cflpa will fold faster than superman on laundry day. They just don't have as much bargaining power as they would like to have. There are probably thousands of guys out there who would love the opportunity to play professional football and unlike the NFL you don't have the best of the best to make it mean anything.

Thousands of Americans perhaps....not thousands of Canadians....well is this quantity or quality?  It will be interesting to follow the government money back and forth. The government apparently wants an agreement between the CFL and the PA before they agree and apparently the PA says they need assurance about the government money before they agree. Other leagues seem to work as more of a partnership between the two factions , why can’t the CFL and the PA?

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Thousands of Americans perhaps....not thousands of Canadians....well is this quantity or quality?  It will be interesting to follow the government money back and forth. The government apparently wants an agreement between the CFL and the PA before they agree and apparently the PA says they need assurance about the government money before they agree. Other leagues seem to work as more of a partnership between the two factions , why can’t the CFL and the PA?

Want my answer??  I just couldn't resist...🤣See the source image

Edited by SpeedFlex27

As the hours pass, and no good news forthcoming, it looks like our off season discussion thread will continue, and break all thread records.

Here, I’ll start, “I simply can’t wait until free agency starts next February”

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

As the hours pass, and no good news forthcoming, it looks like our off season discussion thread will continue, and break all thread records.

Here, I’ll start, “I simply can’t wait until free agency starts next February”

Another click bait headline... it’s good to read the article 

NFL turning a blind eye to Canadian leagues financial issues

The CFL continues to wait, with baited breath, for federal government financial support. Our Canadian league is hoping for a return to action in Winnipeg early this fall.

Meanwhile the NFL, the CFL’s big brother, ignores little brother’s plight, at least from what we understand today.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/hewitt-commentary-nfl-turning-a-blind-eye-to-canadian-leagues-financial-issues-1.5045225#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=0KUUxtl

35 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that is absolutely perfectly fine.....the NFL can go f*** itself. I don't want their help and the strings that would likely come with it. 

I do see where you’re coming from, but we sit back and watch talent vacate our league and the NFL signs them on the cheap.

Other leagues do compensate for development, and the NFL certainly can afford it, but the mindset isn’t there. Our league bends too easily to our southern neighbours.

Now I wouldn’t want any strings attached either, and I highly doubt they will offer this assistance, but there should be some way to jump start better deals. Something like longer contracts (maybe 3 years or so). If the NFL wants these players..they can pay for them. And all the teams should recognize this. What we’re doing now isn’t working.

Now, fans may say, who’s going to sign up here for longer, stricter contracts. I think they’d be surprised. Everybody knows by now that there is a path from the CFL to the NFL and we should have restrictions that help the league, not hinder it.

Would we go through a rough trial period? Probably, but holding firm and with resolve, the league, as a whole, would benefit in the long run.

Talented players with nowhere to go and nobody to develop them. But given a chance?

Who knows...

5 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

The last time the CFL sold their soul to the NFL it got into the NFL window BS and the NFL simply cherry picking players. It wasn’t out of kindness or being a benevolent. Big Brother....it was pure business. No thanks.

Ah, but that’s where you have to have CFL size balls and stand firm. I mean, why do we have to sell out? 
We don’t. 
We've learned. The window of which you speak would have to be handled differently. 
Why can’t we dictate terms of what we want...or no deal?

We develop, they pay. These one year contracts we have now give the NFL the same means to an end and they don’t pay.
We can change that. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Ah, but that’s where you have to have CFL size balls and stand firm. I mean, why do we have to sell out? 
We don’t. 
We've learned. The window of which you speak would have to be handled differently. 
Why can’t we dictate terms of what we want...or no deal?

We develop, they pay. These one year contracts we have now give the NFL the same means to an end and they don’t pay.
We can change that. 

Not sure given the circumstances that you are bargaining from any kind of position of strength. 

23 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Not sure given the circumstances that you are bargaining from any kind of position of strength. 

But we don’t bargain with them. I wouldn’t approach them at all. The league must agree to come with contract offers to all imports that cater to our need, not for anybody else. 
We will lose some potential star players but we lose them anyways. At least we can have them for 2-3 years. 
We will still get noticed, and that’s what we want.

Lets take back our league 

We set the rules for our league, and our league alone. We set the contracts for our league. We are not going to be in any less bargaining position than we are now.

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

But we don’t bargain with them. I wouldn’t approach them at all. The league must agree to come with contract offers to all imports that cater to our need, not for anybody else. 
We will lose some potential star players but we lose them anyways. At least we can have them for 2-3 years. 
We will still get noticed, and that’s what we want.

Lets take back our league 

We set the rules for our league, and our league alone. We set the contracts for our league. We are not going to be in any less bargaining position than we are now.

Still delusional I see.  That's reassuring.

18 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

NFL turning a blind eye to Canadian leagues financial issues

The CFL continues to wait, with baited breath, for federal government financial support. Our Canadian league is hoping for a return to action in Winnipeg early this fall.

Meanwhile the NFL, the CFL’s big brother, ignores little brother’s plight, at least from what we understand today.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/hewitt-commentary-nfl-turning-a-blind-eye-to-canadian-leagues-financial-issues-1.5045225#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=0KUUxtl

Good discussion around this topic. It's a really complex issue because I agree that the 1 year CFL contracts for players then walking to the NFL is not working as a long term CFL strategy. Tough for teams to manage, sucks for fans. And, I agree that the NFL really doesn't have any interest in financially compensating the CFL in any way. 

Realistically, what incentive does the NFL have to compensate the CFL in any way? With increasing practice roster sizes and hundreds of new college players coming out every year, why do they need any type of "farm system"? And honestly, it's not as if the CFL typically provides them with elite NFL talent. The Cameron Wake's are very rare. Mostly CFL players who make the NFL end up at the bottom of a team's roster. Easily replaced by a late round NFL draft pick or a UDFA. 

I'm not criticizing anyone's take on this. It's a complicated issue. The CFL has to figure out a better model for building revenue and retaining players on it's own.