Bench Streveler Again

TrueBlue4ever

On 2019-10-21 at 3:34 PM, M.Silverback said:

Me - Collaros 100%. QB job is wide open as far as I’m concerned as fake head coach. Not hating on Streveler. But if he gets beat out by someone else that’s pro sports. And Collaros was (key word) a legit top tier QB in the CFL. Wouldn’t bet my mortgage on it happening again, but wouldn’t bet on Streveler ever hitting that level

O’Shea - he’d go back to Streveler. “Gives us the best chance to win”

This is an excellent post. And it gets at the very heart of the problem. Which is Michael O’Shea.

It also gets at the heart of the solution. Which is to treat pro sports, well...like pro sports. Just win, baby. Win or you’re gone. That goes for quarterback and, above all, especially for the position of head coach.

Oshea has repeatedly, consistently demonstrated stubbornness, rigidity, and/or flat out stupidity. Call it what you want, but the **** he pulled last week is consistent with his historic leadership style.

Leaving Streveler in gets to the core of the Winnipeg problem. Loyalty and mediocrity and/or just unbelievably crappy judgment (remember the 62 yard field goal attempt vs 3rd and 4 gamble in playoffs, anyone? and that’s after his kicker told him his very top range in the dome was 56 yards?) over appropriate risk management and the possibility of excellence. 

Hey, maybe Mike will surprise me and get us a birth in the Grey cup game…which would represent actual progress. Miracles do happen. If he does that, he absolutely gets another year. If he doesn’t and I am the fake GM, his ass is absolutely gone. 

1 hour ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Hey, maybe Mike will surprise me and get us a birth in the Grey cup game…which would represent actual progress. Miracles do happen. If he does that, he absolutely gets another year. If he doesn’t and I am the fake GM, his ass is absolutely gone. 

Hmmm ... I was actually thinking after reading this that, even if he had won a cup say, in year three, and we were now watching the team play as they are presently, I'd still want him gone. Since he actually hasn't won a thing, yeah, see ya.

3 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Loyalty and mediocrity and/or just unbelievably crappy judgment (remember the 62 yard field goal attempt vs 3rd and 4 gamble in playoffs, anyone? and that’s after his kicker told him his very top range in the dome was 56 yards?) over appropriate risk management and the possibility of excellence. 

Your post nailed it. To me a pro head coach should demonstrate loyalty to his players by not crapping on them in the media. If a player fumbles, misses a tackle, whatever, as a good pro head coach you don't use that as an excuse to dump on a player publicly. It's a team game, lots of chances to win, he's a key member of our team blah, blah, blah. But, I'd tell all players behind closed doors enjoy every moment of being a pro athlete because it can end very quickly. Injuries, contract issues, or performance. If another player can perform better than you, they will play. Period. Happens to every pro player at some point. At some point some QB will be a better option than Tom Brady. O'Shea seems very reluctant to give that message to players. Makes me wonder what happened with Drew Willy all those years ago. Did Kyle Walters pull rank and tell O'Shea that Willy was done? 

Edited by M.Silverback

2 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Your post nailed it. To me a pro head coach should demonstrate loyalty to his players by not crapping on them in the media. If a player fumbles, misses a tackle, whatever, as a good pro head coach you don't use that as an excuse to dump on a player publicly. It's a team game, lots of chances to win, he's a key member of our team blah, blah, blah. But, I'd tell all players behind closed doors enjoy every moment of being a pro athlete because it can end very quickly. Injuries, contract issues, or performance. If another player can perform better than you, they will play. Period. Happens to every pro player at some point. At some point some QB will be a better option than Tom Brady. O'Shea seems very reluctant to give that message to players. Makes me wonder what happened with Drew Willy all those years ago. Did Kyle Walters pull rank and tell O'Shea that Willy was done? 

I had the same thought when Willy was release-traded. It was one of the first hints that we had that O'Shea's stubbornness would be a detriment. It also occurs to me that if Walters did this, it would been dumb on his part to extend O'Shea.

35 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Everything we've ever been told has led us to believe that Miller, Walters and Oshea are in lockstep when it comes to team decisions. I really don't believe anyone needed to "pull rank" on anyone else...

True. I'm sure they hash things out and come to some type of consensus or disagree but commit position. I'm guessing that sometimes though arriving at the point of lockstep may be a bit rocky. Perhaps O'Shea lobbies for certain players longer or harder than maybe Miller and Walters, certainly the fans, would like. 

11 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

True. I'm sure they hash things out and come to some type of consensus or disagree but commit position. I'm guessing that sometimes though arriving at the point of lockstep may be a bit rocky. Perhaps O'Shea lobbies for certain players longer or harder than maybe Miller and Walters, certainly the fans, would like. 

It's definitely possible, but my understanding is that Walters and Oshea are very long time friends, and I believe they think a lot alike. If anyone was going to have an outlier opinion, it'd be Miller. He's a well known micro-manager, as well, who likes to have his hands in all things...

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I had the same thought when Willy was release-traded. It was one of the first hints that we had that O'Shea's stubbornness would be a detriment. It also occurs to me that if Walters did this, it would been dumb on his part to extend O'Shea.

Lots of tin foil hat stuff here. 

Edited by Goalie

Coaches want to win. GMs want to win. Owners want to Win. Willy got let go cuz in a cap world what u are paying vs what u are getting is a factor, a big one, winning is a big one, likely biggest. We weren't winning with Willy. The Nichols dilemma is interesting, guy wins for some reason, likely lack of turnovers.  But hes gonna wanna get paid. Whats his worth? Or is he unreliable as a starter now vs what u have to pay him. 

Its what are u getting for what u are paying. 

I guess, interesting thing here.. What would u give Nichols as a FA? 

Or would you keep him. Its a good way to play fantasy GM Owner Coach. 

Edited by Goalie

Unless something weird happens where someone that I'm not aware of becomes available, I'd go into next season with the same QBs. If Nichols stays healthy, we keep winning. If Nichols gets hurt again, then Strev gets more reps and eventually takes over....or he doesn't, and he's out. But I'd be fine going into next season the exact same way we did this year, in all facets of the team.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

It looks like a regular safe tackle with bad landing to me

without question he never sees it coming (blind side) and it's a frog splash from behind...and the guy ties up his arms so he can't protect himself. The whole upper body "jams", causing the injury. Total fluke and not something you can prepare for.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

without question he never sees it coming (blind side) and it's a frog splash from behind...and the guy ties up his arms so he can't protect himself. The whole upper body "jams", causing the injury. Total fluke and not something you can prepare for.

Oh for sure. Unfortunately Matty has had a few of those now. 

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Legal tackle but ultimately fatal, I wouldn't be surprised to see the CFL  move further in the direction of protecting their QB's after this disastrous season.  NFL already has done this with their "no landing on the quarterback" rule change last season, I expect the CFL to do the same for the betterment of the game.   I refuse to tune in to watch Logan Kilgore battle Danny O'Brien unless they're in a boxing ring.

50 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Unless something weird happens where someone that I'm not aware of becomes available, I'd go into next season with the same QBs. If Nichols stays healthy, we keep winning. If Nichols gets hurt again, then Strev gets more reps and eventually takes over....or he doesn't, and he's out. But I'd be fine going into next season the exact same way we did this year, in all facets of the team.

I think Masoli is a free agent. Not sure Hamilton will let him walk. Would you consider him? I think I would, depending on the price. 

9 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

I think Masoli is a free agent. Not sure Hamilton will let him walk. Would you consider him? I think I would, depending on the price. 

Nope...not unless we totally revamp the offense. Masoli has shown he's only really useful in that June Jones Run-n-Shoot offense. That guy's massively overrated and I'd be a lot happier with Matt Nichols, personally. You can question his durability, but Nichols is one of the smartest QBs in the league in terms of processing information and getting rid of the ball. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nope...not unless we totally revamp the offense. Masoli has shown he's only really useful in that June Jones Run-n-Shoot offense. That guy's massively overrated and I'd be a lot happier with Matt Nichols, personally. You can question his durability, but Nichols is one of the smartest QBs in the league in terms of processing information and getting rid of the ball. 

I think the Ti-Cats will choose to stick with the cheaper Evans option over re-signing the more expensive Masoli,.  Evans is a more conventional QB that is easier to game plan around and probably easier to protect from injury, thus the more reliable option long-term.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think the Ti-Cats will choose to stick with the cheaper Evans option over re-signing the more expensive Masoli,.  Evans is a more conventional QB that is easier to game plan around and probably easier to protect from injury, thus the more reliable option long-term.

Could definitely see Masoli in Ottawa next year...