Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
captaincanuck12

Byfuglien contemplating NHL future

Recommended Posts

Just heard on the radio about this.  That would be a huge blow to the Jets.  I would speculate that the off-season rumours of ruffled feathers in the dressing room might ring true and this may have affected Byfuglien himself.

If he does retire that leaves a major hole on the defence.  You don't just simply replace him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Just heard on the radio about this.  That would be a huge blow to the Jets.  I would speculate that the off-season rumours of ruffled feathers in the dressing room might ring true and this may have affected Byfuglien himself.

If he does retire that leaves a major hole on the defence.  You don't just simply replace him.

Yup count me as officially concerned for this team, especially if we lose Buff. I guess building our D through the draft will be greatly tested this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't he have contemplated this during the off season??  Don't get me wrong, Buff has earned the right to make a decision that is best for him and his family, but by waiting this long, he's really put the Jets in a tough spot.  The timing of this is really strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Couldn't he have contemplated this during the off season??  Don't get me wrong, Buff has earned the right to make a decision that is best for him and his family, but by waiting this long, he's really put the Jets in a tough spot.  The timing of this is really strange.

Yeah I was thinking about that too.  It really doesn't make any sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Yeah I was thinking about that too.  It really doesn't make any sense.

It makes tons of sense. He's looking at his wife and kids and not feeling the drive to get back on the ice. The timing is exactly that. I see it all the time with people at retirement age. They have the resources to retire but never felt the need to. But, then something happens or they wake up and say, "I don't want to do this any longer." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to bring this up since it could be unrelated to everything, but isn't there at least one instance a season where he's injured? to me Buff is irreplaceable, where will we find another D-man that has that much oompf and a sense of humor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JCon said:

It makes tons of sense. He's looking at his wife and kids and not feeling the drive to get back on the ice. The timing is exactly that. I see it all the time with people at retirement age. They have the resources to retire but never felt the need to. But, then something happens or they wake up and say, "I don't want to do this any longer." 

^^^ My dad at 52. Just woke up and said "what am I doing?" and took early retirement from a federal firefighting job. Has never been happier than over the last 11 years... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

^^^ My dad at 52. Just woke up and said "what am I doing?" and took early retirement from a federal firefighting job. Has never been happier than over the last 11 years... 

He fights federal fires?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

Couldn't he have contemplated this during the off season??  Don't get me wrong, Buff has earned the right to make a decision that is best for him and his family, but by waiting this long, he's really put the Jets in a tough spot.  The timing of this is really strange.

This is why I'd blame last season's locker room strife more than anything... if work isn't fun, don't keep doing it - he put up with Kane now he probably sees that gong show starting all over again...

Add some injuries and family...  still walking away from a lot of $$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floyd said:

This is why I'd blame last season's locker room strife more than anything... if work isn't fun, don't keep doing it - he put up with Kane now he probably sees that gong show starting all over again...

Add some injuries and family...  still walking away from a lot of $$

Also add the sense that there might not be an opportunity to be playing meaningful hockey late in the year. I can see where he is coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Also add the sense that there might not be an opportunity to be playing meaningful hockey late in the year. I can see where he is coming from.

Can't imagine how frustrated Wheeler and Buff would be finally getting their shot after all these years and watching it get torpedoed by Trouba, Laine, Copp and Roslo's ice time concerns...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Can't imagine how frustrated Wheeler and Buff would be finally getting their shot after all these years and watching it get torpedoed by Trouba, Laine, Copp and Roslo's ice time concerns...

Well Buff has won a couple cups already. Wheeler? If not for the youngsters he doesn't get a shot in the first place. 

What exactly is wrong with guys wanting more ice time? Damn these players for wanting to show what they can really bring instead of being just happy with 10 minutes a game. 

Ice time concerns are on the coach.. Attaching Scheif and Wheeler at the hip is on the coach. These problems u speak of are on the coach. 

 

Eventho it was Pekka Jalonen who said it about Little.. Chevy obviously agrees they need a better 1B center.. Otherwise he wouldn't have moved 2 firsts the last 2 years for 2 different centers.

Lockerroom problems are on the coach tho.. 100 percent. If this was bombers and players came out and ruffled feathers.. Ppl would want OSH gone. 

 

Edited by Goalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty obvious Maurice played a huge role in this mess. All he had to do is switch up 55 and 26.. He didn't. 

2 seasons ago.. Ehlers Scheif Laine dominated when put together. Dominated. Scored every shift pretty much. 

We all know Wheeler and Little have chemistry from their ladd little wheeler years. 

Whats the problem here? 

I dunno. But all signs point to a stubborn coach

 

Why have 2 top lines tho when u can have 1. 

Edited by Goalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Well Buff has won a couple cups already. Wheeler? If not for the youngsters he doesn't get a shot in the first place. 

No, he has one championship. 2010 with the Blackhawks. He's been with this organization since. And I don't even understand the second part. He doesn't get a shot at what if not for the youngsters...?

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Pretty obvious Maurice played a huge role in this mess. All he had to do is switch up 55 and 26.. He didn't.

Yes, not making this one change up front is the reason why Byfuglien is taking personal leave. Not his injury history, not his life after hockey, not his age, and not his interests/hobbies/enjoyment of life outside of the game... This is clearly all Paul Maurice's fault by not making a line change to the forward group that a defenseman is contemplating his future in the NHL.

Image result for eyeroll gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Pretty obvious Maurice played a huge role in this mess. All he had to do is switch up 55 and 26.. He didn't. 

2 seasons ago.. Ehlers Scheif Laine dominated when put together. Dominated. Scored every shift pretty much. 

We all know Wheeler and Little have chemistry from their ladd little wheeler years. 

Whats the problem here? 

I dunno. But all signs point to a stubborn coach

 

Why have 2 top lines tho when u can have 1. 

You're getting Connor-Scheif-Laine mixed up... they were great at the beginning and then petered out...

ESL was never scoring on every shift ha

Maybe Statsny was worth that $8 million we would have needed to sign him... instead we re-upped Little to an albatross of a contract for an aging 3RW

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.tsn.ca/has-laine-been-unfairly-deployed-by-the-jets-1.1367609

Good read with some advanced stats from Yost.

Embedded Image

Is deployment an issue? There seems to be a valid argument for it. 

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Maybe Statsny was worth that $8 million we would have needed to sign him... instead we re-upped Little to an albatross of a contract for an aging 3RW

Except that isn't what happened. Little re-signed in Sep. 2017, well before Stastny was ever even remotely an option for this team. That extension, however, kicked in last season.

And Stastny isn't worth $8M. The money the Knights offered wasn't too far off what the Jets did. Term was the sticking point, IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Except that isn't what happened. Little re-signed in Sep. 2017, well before Stastny was ever even remotely an option for this team. That extension, however, kicked in last season.

And Stastny isn't worth $8M. The money the Knights offered wasn't too far off what the Jets did. Term was the sticking point, IIRC.

That's what I mean... we re-upped Little a year early to a long contract without any feel that he'd have chemistry with really anyone...

Statsny was absolutely worth 3 years or $8 million... he was clicking with Laine and Ehlers...  if you don't have Little's contract you can pay him

Chevy jumped the gun - it was this weird thing to keep the Thrashers core together...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

That's what I mean... we re-upped Little a year early to a long contract without any feel that he'd have chemistry with really anyone...

Statsny was absolutely worth 3 years or $8 million... he was clicking with Laine and Ehlers...  if you don't have Little's contract you can pay him

Chevy jumped the gun - it was this weird thing to keep the Thrashers core together...  

You make these assertions with the use of hindsight and nothing more. That's some Goalie-level absurdity, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

No, he has one championship. 2010 with the Blackhawks. He's been with this organization since. And I don't even understand the second part. He doesn't get a shot at what if not for the youngsters...?

Yes, not making this one change up front is the reason why Byfuglien is taking personal leave. Not his injury history, not his life after hockey, not his age, and not his interests/hobbies/enjoyment of life outside of the game... This is clearly all Paul Maurice's fault by not making a line change to the forward group that a defenseman is contemplating his future in the NHL.

Image result for eyeroll gif

Right. 1 cup. Hes got his ring.

As for Maurice this thread is all over the place... Hes responsible for the lockeroom problems that are quite obviously real. 

Maurice has nothing to do with Buff besides keeping Trouba on PP1 over him. 

Edited by Goalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You make these assertions with the use of hindsight and nothing more. That's some Goalie-level absurdity, man.

There were a lot of sideways glances when that Little extension came out...  its not hindsight

Little is a third line player getting $5 million plus - its a problem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...