Byfuglien contemplating NHL future

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Meanwhile, we bewildered Jets fans just ask, how could this mess have happened in the first place? 

Buff is a character. At his age maybe he just felt like it was time to be a dad and husband. This is in reality, buff wanting to retire and TN saying to think about it. 

Buff is not going to win. 

I'll go ahead and go there... 

If he had a classic mr burns change of heart again and wants to play the final year and a half of his deal.. I would strongly consider moving him at the deadline, honestly, hes not the only vet id look at moving, little and if possible Wheeler and definitely Kulikov.. Its just time to hand it over to the true Jets 2.0

The drafted and developed young vets like Scheif (needs to pull his head out his ass tho) Lowry, ehlers, Connor, laine.. Morrissey.. Not D n D but Pionk looks like a keeper to me, sprinkle in a Copp and Perreault, Roslo looks to be taking strides.. U got a nice young group.. 

Really.. Im sure Buff and Wheeler each get you a 1st plus.. RHD? Younger Center? 

Its just time for a bit of a blow up.. It might hurt at first but in the long run, we would be way better off. 

This group appears to comfortable. Right down to coaches like huddy Flaherty who have been here since Claude Noel was coach... Maurice on final year of deal.. 

Its just time. 

33 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Buff is a character. At his age maybe he just felt like it was time to be a dad and husband. This is in reality, buff wanting to retire and TN saying to think about it. 

Buff is not going to win. 

Sounds more like Buff saying the after season physical missed a broken bone & he never should have been cleared medically. We all know the NHL, Jets & their medical staff will take this seriously. He gave up his huge salary to not report which really makes no sense. Unless he thinks he can sue & win even more money in a financial settlement.

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

Sounds like he injured himself this summer and now wants the Jets to pay for it. 

He's done as a Jet. If he wants to come back, they need to deal him. 

I don't think the Jets talked him into thinking about retiring. I think he came in and said he wanted time to think.

Not sure if you heard Bill Watters on 1290' drive show yesterday, but he said what you're saying - only not nearly in as nice a way.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Not sure if you heard Bill Watters on 1290' drive show yesterday, but he said what you're saying - only not nearly in as nice a way.

I heard. Bill is a character who tends to take things to the extreme. Can't say I disagree with much of what he said yesterday, assuming what he thinks happened actually did. 

Edited by JCon

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

My nickle of thought. The Jets and Buff both knew he was coming off injury and at end of season waived it off expecting it to get better.

Question is when did this "break" happen.

No, they both signed off on the medical. You don't sign off on a medical that doesn't include all the relevant information. 

Watters was pretty direct lol.  He thinks buff was fine and injured himself on the off season.  He thinks he tried to pull a fast one by claiming he might retire when he wasn’t going to.  The only way that makes sense is if buff thought the jets wouldn’t suspend him and would keep paying him while he thought about it.  

presumably buff is now claiming his injury was related to hockey and thus he should be paid. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Buff is Buff, who the hell really knows what the real deal here is. Loved him as a player for the most part and he seemed like he loved playing here but now both the team and Buff are losing big time. 1 year ago we seemed so close .......

4 hours ago, captaincanuck12 said:

We can all speculate what's happening with Buff, but the reality is we likely will never know.    Another reality is that the Jets will not have him in the lineup this year, and we have $8M in cap space we cannot use till this gets sorted out. 

I think we have the cap space;  If he wins, he'd be placed on Injured Reserve retroactively so Jets would have to pay him (or insurance would) but wouldn't count against the cap.  Buff's issue now is he isn't getting paid and he's covering his own medical expenses.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2019-11-06 at 9:53 AM, Goalie said:

I'll go ahead and go there... 

If he had a classic mr burns change of heart again and wants to play the final year and a half of his deal.. I would strongly consider moving him at the deadline, honestly, hes not the only vet id look at moving, little and if possible Wheeler and definitely Kulikov.. Its just time to hand it over to the true Jets 2.0

I sure do agree with most of this. Esp the first part in bold above, 'cept I'd put it even stronger: i.e. If Buff decides he want to play again I am shopping him hard. Whatever the elixir, the team chemistry and work ethic this year has been notably stronger than last, and Buff was a big part of last year (and the 7 before that).

Don't get me wrong: there's something very likeable about Buff, beyond his huge presence, shot, and undeniable skills. In some ways, he has a winning personality too.

That said, he has often taken large chunks of the reg season off, with a penchant to float during the unsexy, "doing-the-laundry" parts of the year. I have noticed, in the past - albeit just eye test - that when Buff is injured during the regular season the Jets overall team defence seems to improve. I think if you go back to their reg season record without Buff we'd find the Jets actually do pretty good (often better?) without him. Happy be be corrected with actual numbers, as admittedly that's just my gut sense of it.

In the playoffs? Different story. There, he shows up. Usually big time. BUT...at 34 years of age, he just aint gonna be getting better and - when coupled with whatever the H-E double hockey-sticks has being going on with him since training camp walk out PLUS the fact that the Jets are doing fine without him...well, to me it becomes a no-brainer.

I do NOT want him back on this team at this point. And, if I'm Chevy, I'm moving him for a regular contributor plus prospects.

Do not agree with the second bolded part above, though: i.e. def NOT moving Wheeler. He is still the heart beat of the leadership group and - since Little went down again - has absolutely demonstrated his versatility and value, driving the second line. Hell, 2 games ago against Big D, he went something like 85% or 89% in the face-off circle and is also an iron-man type. Nope, hang on to Wheeler for this year, esp if we are looking like a playoff team, which we are. The rest I agree with. Thx.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

• 1 month later...

So, I don't know the ins-and-outs of the CBA and whatnot but why can't he just retire, if that's what he wants? Based on Wheeler's comments, it sounds like he's not interested in playing any longer. So, why the need for the mutual contract termination? If he just retires, won't that have the same effect? 

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

So, I don't know the ins-and-outs of the CBA and whatnot but why can't he just retire, if that's what he wants? Based on Wheeler's comments, it sounds like he's not interested in playing any longer. So, why the need for the mutual contract termination? If he just retires, won't that have the same effect? 

He probably did and then his agent talked him out of it...