World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

1 hour ago, do or die said:

As many as 40K Russian troops killed, wounded, held prisoner or missing: NATO
https://thehill.com/policy/international/599431-as-many-as-40k-russian-troops-killed-wounded-held-prisoner-or-missing

Meat Grinder GIFs | Tenor

Even if these figures are overestimated, half of that is still a staggering number over a timeframe of four weeks. That's a substantial percentage of the 150K troops sent.

It's incredible how poorly planned and executed this invasion seems to be thus far, especially when Russia's military was deemed amongst the world's most formidable.

Didnt the soviets in ww2 consider and treat their soldiers like toilet paper....no matter how many got killled, .just kept throwing more people into battle, till the other side was overwhelmed?

seems to be the plan here.

21 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Russia's military was deemed amongst the world's most formidable.

Good pr....for arms dealers, always need a formidable enemy.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

The vaunted Russian army has been proven to be a paper tiger as this war crime is turning into a stale mate which might make Putin do the unthinkable.

Putin has lost close to half of his 100,00 man army and enormous amounts of war materiel. His oligarchs are very unhappy and his remaining military is on the verge of open mutiny. He may have to negotiate a golden parachute and accept exile to a willing foreign country like Serbia or Switzerland where his mistress and children are already living. The Swiss are petitioning their government to expel them, though. 

Edited by Tracker

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

The vaunted Russian army has been proven to be a paper tiger as this war crime is turning into a stale mate which might make Putin do the unthinkable.

Not sure it was all that vaunted. It's old as **** equipment. The problem Russia always posed as a military was the piles and piles of nuclear weapons they still possess. 

Russia's army TV station Zvezda reporting on the arrival of the LST Orsk at the Russian-occupied port facility in the city of Berdyansk:

The southern flank of the special operation can now receive anything, including armor and ammunition, at any time,” “The port, and the entire city, are under reliable protection of the Russian air defenses.”

That is until somehow.......the Ukrainians blew it up!
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/03/24/russian-ship-destroyed-berdyansk-berman-es-intl-lon-vpx.cnn

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

Putin has lost close to half of his 100,00 man army and enormous amounts of war materiel. His oligarchs are very unhappy and his remaining military is on the verge of open mutiny. He may have to negotiate a golden parachute and accept exile to a willing foreign country like Serbia or Switzerland where his mistress and children are already living. The Swiss are petitioning their government to expel them, though. 

Send him to Mars compliments of Bezos and Musk.

Retired Major General Names The Vladimir Putin Trait That’s Breaking Russia’s Military

Retired U.S. Army Maj. Gen. James Marks put the blame for Russia’s faltering invasion of Ukraine firmly on Russian President Vladimir Putin and his excessive pride.

Marks, now a military analyst for CNN, said Wednesday that Putin likely thought the invasion would be a 48-hour “cakewalk” with cities across Ukraine falling quickly to his troops. The war is now in its fourth week, with the United Nations estimating that some 7,000 to 15,000 Russian troops have been killed.

“I mean, that’s hubris,” Marks told anchor Pamela Brown. “That’s a misunderstanding, a strategic miscalculation that’s incredibly huge. And Putin is in the intel business and he totally blew it. I mean, that’s phenomenal.”

Russian forces were ill-prepared for the assault on their neighboring country as a direct result of Putin’s arrogance, Marks continued.

“They thought they would … get into Kyiv and they’d immediately be welcomed and they’d have an opportunity to be replenished in (a) short amount of time. That has been totally exposed,” he explained.

An “incredible lack of leadership” meant supplies couldn’t get to the front lines and Russian soldiers didn’t know what to do or why they were doing it, he said.

“I mean, it’s a total collapse of the Russian military,” Marks added.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james-marks-putin-ukraine-russia_n_623c24c7e4b0c727d487f7be

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Retired Major General Names The Vladimir Putin Trait That’s Breaking Russia’s Military

Retired U.S. Army Maj. Gen. James Marks put the blame for Russia’s faltering invasion of Ukraine firmly on Russian President Vladimir Putin and his excessive pride.

Marks, now a military analyst for CNN, said Wednesday that Putin likely thought the invasion would be a 48-hour “cakewalk” with cities across Ukraine falling quickly to his troops. The war is now in its fourth week, with the United Nations estimating that some 7,000 to 15,000 Russian troops have been killed.

“I mean, that’s hubris,” Marks told anchor Pamela Brown. “That’s a misunderstanding, a strategic miscalculation that’s incredibly huge. And Putin is in the intel business and he totally blew it. I mean, that’s phenomenal.”

Russian forces were ill-prepared for the assault on their neighboring country as a direct result of Putin’s arrogance, Marks continued.

“They thought they would … get into Kyiv and they’d immediately be welcomed and they’d have an opportunity to be replenished in (a) short amount of time. That has been totally exposed,” he explained.

An “incredible lack of leadership” meant supplies couldn’t get to the front lines and Russian soldiers didn’t know what to do or why they were doing it, he said.

“I mean, it’s a total collapse of the Russian military,” Marks added.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/james-marks-putin-ukraine-russia_n_623c24c7e4b0c727d487f7be

Cutting thru all the complex political punditry, thousands and thousands of people killed/maimed/injured both military and civilian (and climbing), tons of infrastructure destroyed (and climbing), financial, mental, emotional, spiritual ruin everywhere (and climbing), mass exodus of people to other countries (and climbing) all because of a self-absorbed idiot no matter how one rationalizes this madman.

Human beings, what a species.

"Electric cars are now three to six times cheaper to drive in the US as gas prices are getting higher and more volatile.

ZETA is comparing the Ford F150, Toyota RAV4 and Honda Civic to the F150 Lightning, Rivian R1T, and Tesla Model 3.

Above, you see a comparison between a full tank of gas and full battery pack for those vehicles, but more interestingly, here’s a comparison of the cost per mile:"

https://electrek.co/2022/03/22/electric-cars-3-to-6-times-cheaper-to-drive-us-high-gas-prices/

( I can't post the details)

Ford F150  lightning..... $13.50.

@Noeller

Edited by Mark F

18 minutes ago, Mark F said:

"Electric cars are now three to six times cheaper to drive in the US as gas prices are getting higher and more volatile.

ZETA is comparing the Ford F150, Toyota RAV4 and Honda Civic to the F150 Lightning, Rivian R1T, and Tesla Model 3.

Above, you see a comparison between a full tank of gas and full battery pack for those vehicles, but more interestingly, here’s a comparison of the cost per mile:" 
https://electrek.co/2022/03/22/electric-cars-3-to-6-times-cheaper-to-drive-us-high-gas-prices/

tesla

@Noeller

One of the biggest obstacles to 'E-cars is the cost of replacement batteries. They will get better and cheaper, but a set of replacement batteries for a Tesla can be as high as $22,000.00. That's a LOT of depreciation.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

$22,000.00.

Will get you  about six months of gas for your car right now.

Kidding.

2022 article.

"It turns out, though, that leading researchers and EV companies have continued to develop batteries that last 1 million miles or longer. In China, BYD and Contemporary Amperex Technology, another battery giant, are each advertising an EV battery life of 750,000 to 1 million miles, equivalent to five to seven decades of average driving. In the West, a GM spokesman told me that the company’s Ultium battery, which will launch later this year in the electric Hummer, will last a million miles too. At Dalhousie, Dahn’s own test battery has now lasted 3 million miles, stretching the outer boundaries of the benchmark he set for long-life batteries. And Gene Berdichevsky, CEO of Sila Nanotechnologies, a silicon anode company, said he expects to ship a 30-year battery by the end of the decade.

“It’s a ‘forever battery,’” Berdichevsky told me. “Thirty years might as well be forever.”"

https://search.brave.com/search?q=tesla million mile battery&source=ios

"Eric Bach, vice president of hardware engineering at Lucid, pointed out that the forthcoming Air has a battery warranty of up to 150,000 miles, but the actual mileage life expectancy of the vehicles are much higher and depend on the use or abuse conditions. “Typically,” he said, “high-mileage vehicles show wear and tear on the internal-combustion drivetrain, as well as chassis and Interior components. Electric powertrains, such as that of the Lucid Air, are inherently more durable and could likely even drive a million miles if treated well and maintained.”"

anyway , people are still driving 2012 nissan leafs.

Edited by Mark F

16 hours ago, Mark F said:

@Noeller

Absolutely there is no comparison in cost per mile from a purely operational aspect. I would love to see what the difference is when price of vehicle difference/maintenance factors are worked in. I saw one done between a Tesla Model 3 and some other car one time on a year to year total cost analysis and the Tesla edged out the gas vehicle but it wasn't by a huge margin. This was a Canadian study side by side of two brand new vehicles of the same class and comps. I would imagine the electric would run away with it now given the absurd gas prices. I don't think there is any argument from anyone that electric cars are cheaper to run than gas cars. I think any reluctance towards electric vehicles now will be the lack of infrastructure, battery capacity, and high cost to buy. Once these obstacles are overcome, one would be foolish, (especially here in Canada where hydro is cheap) to not own electric. I could understand other areas of the world where hydro is very expensive and there are caps on usage and huge infrastructure and generating shortcomings being more problematic though.

Edited by GCn20

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

One of the biggest obstacles to 'E-cars is the cost of replacement batteries. They will get better and cheaper, but a set of replacement batteries for a Tesla can be as high as $22,000.00. That's a LOT of depreciation.

And yet it's not a real problem. EV's last longer than ICE vehicles and battery packs can be sold to provide storage for solar arrays.

Now do injectors on a diesel truck or (more accurately) drive train on same for a more realistic (and far more likely) comparison.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

interesting article

I cant find anything..... but it would be interesting to compare the sums stolen by Putin, to what was amassed by Soviet dictators..... brezhnev, khruschev, stalin....

I think those men did not die wealthy, and stole only small fractions of what Putin has stolen.

A big deal for them it seems was a summer home and expensive car. I have looked at some of their children, and I think some oF them had ordinary jobs.

dont know though.

Edited by Mark F

24 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I cant find anything..... but it would be interesting to compare the sums stolen by Putin, to what was amassed by Soviet dictators..... brezhnev, khruschev, stalin....

I think those men did not die wealthy, and stole only small fractions of what Putin has stolen.

A big deal for them it seems was a summer home and expensive car. I have looked at some of their children, and I think some oF them had ordinary jobs.

dont know though.

What we do know is that none of them owned a $700 million super yacht.

Navalny group presents evidence Putin owns mysterious $700 million mega-yacht Scheherazade

France, Italy, and Spain have seized at least eight yachts linked to Russian oligarchs hit with sanctions after Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24. Other sanctioned Russians have moved their mega-yachts to the Maldives, Seychelles, Dubai, Turkey, and other areas out of the reach of U.S., British, and European Union oligarch asset hunters.

Graceful, a $140 million yacht believed to be owned by Russian President Vladimir Putin, got a head start, sailing from Germany to the coast of Kaliningrad, Russia, in mid-February, about two weeks before Russia's invasion. But the $700 million, 459-foot superyacht Scheherazade, rumored to be "Putin's yacht," has been docked in an Italian port, Marina di Carrara, since September.

"In the rarefied world of the biggest superyachts," The New York Times reported earlier in March, "the Scheherazade is alone in that no likely owner has been publicly identified." Even in "the hyper-confidential world of superyachting," the Times adds, "there is an unusual degree of secrecy surrounding this vessel."

The Scheherazade's British captain, Guy Bennett-Pearce, told the Times that while he is not allowed to disclose who owns the ship, it is not Putin. "I have never seen him," he said. "I have never met him." He also said Italian finance investigators had recently boarded the ship looking for certification documents.

Jailed dissident Alexei Navalny's Anti-Corruption Foundation said Monday that aside from Bennett-Pearce, the rest of the Scheherazade's crew is not just Russian, but also work for the FSO, or Federal Protective Service, Russia's equivalent of the U.S. Secret Service. Navalny's team ran through how it linked the crew to the FSO in a Russian-language video and in English on Twitter.

Putin officially earns a $136,000 salary and owns a modest apartment, three Soviet-era cars, and a small camping trailer, Radio Free Europe reports, but Navalny's group and other anti-corruption politicians — some subsequently killed or poisoned — have linked Putin to a vast spread of mansions, jets, yachts, and other luxury assets. "Putin never keeps assets under his own name," though, Navalny investigator Maria Pevchikh tweeted. "So you need to look not at the ownership structure but rather at who manages and pays for it."

(more)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/navalny-group-presents-evidence-putin-065144269.html

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-first-phase-ukraine-operation-mostly-complete-focus-now-donbass-2022-03-25/

LONDON, March 25 (Reuters) - Russia said on Friday that the first phase of its military operation in Ukraine was mostly complete and that it would focus on completely "liberating" eastern Ukraine's Donbass region.

The announcement appeared to indicate that Russia may be switching to more limited goals after running into fierce Ukrainian resistance in the first month of the war.

The defence ministry said Russian-backed separatists now controlled 93% of Ukraine's Luhansk region and 54% of the Donetsk region - the two areas that jointly make up the Donbass.

"The main objectives of the first stage of the operation have generally been accomplished," Sergei Rudskoi, head of the Russian General Staff's Main Operational Directorate, said.

"The combat potential of the Armed Forces of Ukraine has been considerably reduced, which ... makes it possible to focus our core efforts on achieving the main goal, the liberation of Donbass."

Rudskoi said 1,351 Russian soldiers had died in the operation and 3,825 had been injured. Russia's military had not given an official casualty figure since March 2, when it said 498 soldiers had been killed.

What a fustercluck. 

UK Government Signals Mercenary Group Is On A Mission To Kill Ukrainian Leader Zelensky

The United Kingdom’s Foreign Office signaled Thursday that it believes Russia is using the Wagner Group, a shadowy Kremlin-linked mercenary organization, to hunt down and kill Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

Since the start of the war, Zelenskyy has said he is Russia’s “No. 1 target,” and U.S. officials have voiced repeated concerns about his safety. But the Ukrainian leader has refused to flee his country, choosing instead to stay in Kyiv, the capital, as it continues to ward off a Russian takeover.

The alleged founder and leader of the Wagner Group, Dmitry Utkin, is believed to have Nazi sympathies ― an irony if true considering how Russian President Vladimir Putin has justified his aggression in Ukraine by claiming it needs to be “de-Nazified.”

British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss announced that the Wagner Group numbered among dozens of individuals and businesses to be newly sanctioned, describing it as “the organisation of Russian mercenaries reportedly tasked with assassinating President Zelenskyy.”

Also facing sanctions are Alfa Bank, five other financial institutions and a variety of individuals, including Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov’s stepdaughter, who reportedly lives in a multimillion-dollar London flat.

The European Union slapped sanctions on the Wagner Group and other entities accused of funding it back in December, citing serious human rights abuses by members.

Russia says it does not use the mercenary group, which it refers to simply as a private company. According to the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington-based think tank, that plausible deniability comes in handy: “The Russian government has found Wagner and other private military companies to be useful as a way to extend its influence overseas without the visibility and intrusiveness of state military forces.”

European security officials suggested in February that hundreds of Wagner Group fighters had been trickling into eastern Ukraine to lay the groundwork for the war, according to The New York Times.

Ukraine’s defense ministry said on Sunday that a new group of Wagner mercenaries had entered the country with the aim of targeting the president and other high-ranking Ukrainian officials.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/british-government-signals-mercenary-group-mission-kill-zelenskyy_n_623cd3bbe4b0c0781ab8838d

13 minutes ago, do or die said:

Lieutenant General Yakov Rezantsev - a top commander who bragged the war would be over 'in a few hours' is killed in Ukrainian strike
5th General to be killed by Ukrainian forces.

Correction:  its 6 Generals, and a Naval Deputy Commander...........