Bomber Backup QB Battle

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

because McGuire is probably seen as more likely to develop into a guy who can back up properly with a bit of experience. I think at best Bennett is a guy you hope can do enough with his legs and big arm to win. 

Hedging your bets means playing both sides or supporting more than 1 possible outcome.

Seeing McGuire as the most likely to succeed isn't hedging your bets.

Don't really know what to think of cutting Bennett, admittedly didn't see much of pre season but from all accounts Bennett looked improved. Just gonna go out on a limb here and say Mcguire really impressed the coaching staff and the fact that he's quite a bit younger (Bennett free agent next season?) must have pushed him over the top.

I was surprised to see Bennett cut. But maybe salary, age, and up-side all played into the decision.

It would have been nice to somehow keep 4 QB's as I doubt we will keep both Nichols & Streveler next year.

I am looking forward to seeing how McGuire can improve. (Maybe he & not Streveler, will be our QB of the future?!).

Edited by blueingreenland

Further proof that Rashaun’s heart really wasn’t into the Winnipeg football club. 

In my opinion, his belief was that he couldn’t outdo what the other NI were doing. That’s not confidence.

I know the lure of hometown can be strong and maybe he s thinks that starting over will give him the best chance.

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

Further proof that Rashaun’s heart really wasn’t into the Winnipeg football club. 

In my opinion, his belief was that he couldn’t outdo what the other NI were doing. That’s not confidence.

I know the lure of hometown can be strong and maybe he s thinks that starting over will give him the best chance.

I agree, he has all the tools but there's definitely something missing between the ears.

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Well i for 1 was not surprised when a kid fresh from the US of A comes in at 23  and does the things McGuire did you have to look at his potential to be the next starting Qb for us...Bennett has had what 3 years now? 2 teams? Its all about potential at 3 and McGuire has that in spades.

Both are still in there 20's so I would think age is not a factor and the acquisition of 3 years knowledge of the CFL game should be seen as a big plus, so this decision baffles me considering  Bennett showed very well this year and logically the #3 job was his to keep.  Perhaps Bennett surveyed the QB situation across the CFL and gave them an ultimatum, "make me #2 or cut me loose".....I dunno.

Very good chance one of Nichols or Streveler is not  here next year so #3 graduates to #2 and steps closer to the firing line, not many QB's have a good command of the O after sitting on the sidelines watching for one year, which is a likely scenario as McGuire will probably not get any playing time this season.   

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Both are still in there 20's so I would think age is not a factor and the acquisition of 3 years knowledge of the CFL game should be seen as a big plus, so this decision baffles me considering  Bennett showed very well this year and logically the #3 job was his to keep.  Perhaps Bennett surveyed the QB situation across the CFL and gave them an ultimatum, "make me #2 or cut me loose".....I dunno.

Very good chance one of Nichols or Streveler is not  here next year so #3 graduates to #2 and steps closer to the firing line, not many QB's have a good command of  the O after sitting on the sidelines watching, which is likely as he will probably not get any playing time this year.   

I think that the bolded part actually explains what happened.  Bennett had three years CFL experience and yet, there was little to choose between his play and  a guy fresh out of college.  Also, bear in mind that last year Bennett was beaten out by another player fresh out of college.  I think that the Bombers might be thinking that Bennett doesn't have a ton of ceiling left and what you see is pretty much what you're going to get.  

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I think that the bolded part actually explains what happened.  Bennett had three years CFL experience and yet, there was little to choose between his play and  a guy fresh out of college.  Also, bear in mind that last year Bennett was beaten out by another player fresh out of college.  I think that the Bombers might be thinking that Bennett doesn't have a ton of ceiling left and what you see is pretty much what you're going to get.  

I think this rings true.   

Strevler came in straight out of college and took over the #2 without ANY pro Experience so Bennet was kept as the number three.  With Nichols being hurt before the season started its possible Bennet was kept as security incase Nichol's injury was longer term instead of releasing Bennet last year.   This Year another College kid without ANY pro experience came in and played as well as Bennett.  I would think you would keep the new kid with limited playbook and onfield experience if he has the same grasp of the game as the 3rd year/string Vet. 

I liked what i saw from Bennet this year and assumed we would keep him over Mcquire, BUT, and its a big BUT, Maybe the bombers are finally recruiting future CFL QBs like Calgary/BC have been doing for seemingly ages? I can dream anyhow.

9 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

That's pretty much how I've been feeling about it. If you've got two evenly matched guys in camp who aren't really going to play at all, take the younger guy with less experience. If McGuire is at Bennett's level without the experience, his potential SHOULD be higher.

Upside and Potential likely come in to play lots when determining cuts. That and in the CFL.. The Roster. Its still a small GD roster.. A guy like McCallister prob sticks if the roster allows 2 more Intntls and 1 more CDN. 

Unfortunately tho.. It doesnt and hes Not gonna play behind Jeffcoat Jefferson Roh. 

Upside Potential Need.. All fits McGuire over Bennett also especially at 3 spot. 

I dunno.. I've always thought having experience at 3 is nice.. But.. Is having years of being number 3 a good thing? Bennett wasnt gonna start for us one day.. Streveler has and prob will again. McGuire could also. 22 23 years old vs 26 27 is a large difference in potential. 

Strevs and McGuire? Dunno what theirs is.. Kinda at 26 27 do with Bennett.