Jump to content

good news thread (non polItical please)


Recommended Posts

Thought a thread with good news would be a good idea.

In December, Associate Minister for the Environment, Eugenie Sage, confirmed the plastic bag phase out for retailers.

From July 1, 2019, retailers will be prohibited from selling or giving away single-use plastic shopping bags. As of 2018, the nation uses approximately 1.6 billion single-use plastic bags each year.

 

https://www.theplanetarypress.com/2019/01/new-zealand-plastic-bag-phase-out-confirmed/

Edited by Mark F
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After almost two months of working from home, I'm going back to work next week! it'll be one or two times a week though because we are taking baby steps though I will still have to work from

NIce reminder that there are more good people than bad actors.    

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-31/illinois-becomes-11th-state-to-legalize-recreational-marijuana?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-bu

  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Other than doubles probably not in the open era. 

Andreescu is having one hell of a year, really making some noise beating some good players. 

The Canadian men are doing OK too but nothing like this. 

Indian Wells is a big tournament too, outside of the grandslams it's probably the biggest 1000 level tournament along with a couple others so winning this is a big deal. Good for her and always love seeing the Canadian athletes do well in non traditionally canadian sports. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Other than doubles probably not in the open era. 

Andreescu is having one hell of a year, really making some noise beating some good players. 

The Canadian men are doing OK too but nothing like this. 

Indian Wells is a big tournament too, outside of the grandslams it's probably the biggest 1000 level tournament along with a couple others so winning this is a big deal. Good for her and always love seeing the Canadian athletes do well in non traditionally canadian sports. 

Not to be underplayed, she received a sponsors exemption to enter this tournament. She received no favours and no breaks on her draw. 

Truly an unbelievable feat for an 18 year old. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-03-05 at 12:02 PM, Mark F said:

Thought a thread with good news would be a good idea.

In December, Associate Minister for the Environment, Eugenie Sage, confirmed the plastic bag phase out for retailers.

From July 1, 2019, retailers will be prohibited from selling or giving away single-use plastic shopping bags. As of 2018, the nation uses approximately 1.6 billion single-use plastic bags each year.

 

https://www.theplanetarypress.com/2019/01/new-zealand-plastic-bag-phase-out-confirmed/

Serious question that I hope doesn't counter the point of this thread.

What will people use for garbage bags going forward? Are the "Kitchen catchers" or whatever that much more environmentally friendly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tacklewasher said:

Serious question that I hope doesn't counter the point of this thread.

What will people use for garbage bags going forward? Are the "Kitchen catchers" or whatever that much more environmentally friendly?

(not counter to the point at all. I didn't intend  "no discussion" when I posted it.)

For groceries I have been using reusable bags which most grocery stores sell (they're cheap, and quite sturdy). Many people use them now. 

Lee Valley tools requires you to bring a bag.... they won't provide a bag.

example of why this needs to be done: 

Quote

 

A whale that washed up in the southern Philippines died after swallowing 40kg of plastic bags.

Marine biologist Darrell Blatchley was called to recover the 4.7m-long (15.4ft) mammal after it was reported to be trapped off the coast of Mabini on Saturday.

The Cuvier's beaked whale had been vomiting up blood and showed signs of starvation and dehydration. 

"I was not prepared for the amount of plastic I saw.

"The animal had roughly 40kg of rice sacks, grocery bags, banana plantation bags and general plastic bags in it stomach.

 

 

Surely very minor human inconveniences do not overrule the well being of every other creature on this planet.

Edited by Mark F
Link to post
Share on other sites

They would have to keep selling plastic bags for garbage bins no question about that.    I am not fully opposed to stores not providing plastic bags but I would hope the onus would be on them for providing paper bags and/or cardboard boxes like Costco does.

I don't think everyone will always carry a bag with them so when those times come when you buy on impulse or without intending to buying anything it would be a pain in the arse trying to carry a bunch of little items in my hands.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mark F said:

(not counter to the point at all. I didn't intend  "no discussion" when I posted it.)

For groceries I have been using reusable bags which most grocery stores sell (they're cheap, and quite sturdy). Many people use them now. 

Lee Valley tools requires you to bring a bag.... they won't provide a bag.

example of why this needs to be done: 

 

Surely very minor human inconveniences do not overrule the well being of every other creature on this planet.

I get the reusable bags and have several. But I still get enough plastic ones that I use for kitchen/bathroom garbage cans. And the impulse shopping will be a bit of an issue as well as we are not good about putting the reusable ones back in the car after using them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Other than doubles probably not in the open era. 

Andreescu is having one hell of a year, really making some noise beating some good players. 

The Canadian men are doing OK too but nothing like this. 

Indian Wells is a big tournament too, outside of the grandslams it's probably the biggest 1000 level tournament along with a couple others so winning this is a big deal. Good for her and always love seeing the Canadian athletes do well in non traditionally canadian sports. 

She's moved up to 24th in the world rankings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

“Being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, is a dream come true,” he said. “I don’t need anything fancy; taking care of my family and being worry-free is good enough for me.”

 

Ain't that the dream!

Edited by JCon
Link to post
Share on other sites

LeBron James Opened a School That Was Considered an Experiment. It’s Showing Promise.  

The inaugural class of third and fourth graders at the school have posted extraordinary results on its first set of test scores.

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/education/lebron-james-school-ohio.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...