Justin Goltz

We see it all the time when our DLine is working well... normally excellent QB's seem to suddenly be unable to hit the wide side of a barn, even on the occasions that they actually have time to throw the ball.

Neither Goltz, nor Hall were expecting to have time to go to their second read, or even finish their first read on any given play.

So even when they did get time, they didn't feel like they could settle themselves and go through their reads, especially the reads opposite of their blind side since they can't see the DL coming in when they do that.

Late reads to the right side of the line are dangerous because fumbles happen when you try to throw late with the blind side DE charging in (and I imagine those hits hurt ALOT)... with our line EVERY SINGLE READ on EVERY SINGLE PLAY felt like it might be a late read because the QB's had no confidence that our OL was going to stop anyone for even a reasonable amount of time.

I'll also say that losing that fumble early (I still say he was down FWIW) and having the punt return TD called back on a weak call is what sunk the team. These guys have absolutely 0 ability to over come adversity. Things start to go bad they go real bad. Same way that if things start to go well it keeps going that way too. I have little doubt that in the Banjo Bowl that if they hadn't made the stop on the goal line that that game would have gotten ugly in a hurry too. But they made the big play early and it kept going. 

A great example of Halls terrible arm is that pass to Kito Poblah against the Ticats in the back of the end zone. Kito was wide open and should have went up for the ball, but if Hall had a stronger arn, the DB was way to far away to be able to make a play on the ball and cause a drop.

Max Hall is unfortunately our best QB, but we need to do better.

If we're thinking of the same play, Hall sailed it on him but it had nothing to do with needing a stronger arm. It wasn't like he had reached the limitations of his arm strength on a 30 yard throw, he just thought he was serving up an easy 6 for his receiver (which he was) and he forgot that he threw it to the guy who has boulders for hands.

I thought we were on the 30? so that would be more like  50 yard pass? Either way, he needed to put more heat on it, Im sure Kito ould have caught the ball had no one been around(stone hands and all), but The DB interrupted what little concentration he had.

We see it all the time when our DLine is working well... normally excellent QB's seem to suddenly be unable to hit the wide side of a barn, even on the occasions that they actually have time to throw the ball.

Neither Goltz, nor Hall were expecting to have time to go to their second read, or even finish their first read on any given play.

So even when they did get time, they didn't feel like they could settle themselves and go through their reads, especially the reads opposite of their blind side since they can't see the DL coming in when they do that.

Late reads to the right side of the line are dangerous because fumbles happen when you try to throw late with the blind side DE charging in (and I imagine those hits hurt ALOT)... with our line EVERY SINGLE READ on EVERY SINGLE PLAY felt like it might be a late read because the QB's had no confidence that our OL was going to stop anyone for even a reasonable amount of time.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on what Goltz/Hall need to be looking for after the snap.  Most of their reads should be done pre-snap anyways, identifying the coverage, seeing if the safety is overcompensating or how tight the backs are playing, etc.  You’ll see a lot more if you can work pre-snap, and then you may have the option of looking off the first and going to your second if you know it’s going to be there and the coverage wasn’t disguised.  The problem is not that Goltz/Hall felt they wouldn’t have the time and be able to settle themselves, it’s that they take too long in their process for what time they are given.  Goltz moreso than Hall.

Doubt Burke cares about saving his job at this point, he's already got guaranteed pay for the next 2 years, and he's gotta know he's one of the worst HC's of all time and there is no way hell get any better any time soon. If he's smart he'll relax and enjoy the next 2 years of his life and forget about the Bombers when this season is over.

Justin Goltz has been moved down to number three on the depth chart. Burke says Jason Boltus will be the next man up if something happens to Max Hall, which given our patch work o-line, is a very real possibility.

Burke is now into full on Milke Kelly mode with regards to quarterbacks. Keep going to the next guy and the next guy and the next guy if they don't win and hope that some one catches lightning in a bottle. It's a hallmark of coaches who know they're stint as head coach is coming to a close. 

Burke has to be the least inspiring head coach I can ever remember. Every coach has their issues, but hey ... at least Mike Kelly had a clue. He was just insane. Paul Lapolice? Lost the locker room but he at least spoke intelligently.

Burke honestly just seems to have no clue. I wouldn't trust him to run my fantasy lineup at this point.

Burke has to be the least inspiring head coach I can ever remember. Every coach has their issues, but hey ... at least Mike Kelly had a clue. He was just insane. Paul Lapolice? Lost the locker room but he at least spoke intelligently.

Burke honestly just seems to have no clue. I wouldn't trust him to run my fantasy lineup at this point.

I truly believe that Burke should have stayed as a d-coordinator in this league. I think he struggles with the media, game management and knowing who he is supposed to "coach". As a head coach, you coach the coaches and very rarely the players. I think Burke's first love is coaching the players and he is now in a position that doesn't really allow that.

I said it earlier in the season, Burke is the worst head coach I have ever seen since I've followed the Bombers and that includes guys like Reinbold and Daley and Kelly. 

I truly believe that Burke should have stayed as a d-coordinator in this league. I think he struggles with the media, game management and knowing who he is supposed to "coach". As a head coach, you coach the coaches and very rarely the players. I think Burke's first love is coaching the players and he is now in a position that doesn't really allow that.

It is painfully obvious that he is in over his head as a head coach. Just doesn't seem to have any idea what he's supposed to be doing. Hell of a defensive coordinator but total and utter failure as a head coach. 

Burke is cooked and he knows it. I like the guy as a defensive coordinator, and I appreciate his honesty in his answers to questions, but you just simply cannot hire somebody with no experience as a head coach, and expect them to simply "get it" and be able to be the head coach for a group of professionals.

Disagree with this statement.  Benevides and Chamblin both very recently jumped into first time GC spots with immediate success. 

I think the thing with Burke is that he was wildly successful at DC for 2 teams, but despite that success, was passed over for multiple HC gigs.  That speaks volumes about his potential at HC... but here come the white knight Bombers with an opportunity for him. 

I don't think we had anything to lose in giving him a shot midseason.. but why we decided to give him a 3-year contract after that is beyond me. How as a player can you get excited to play for an uninspiring coach that throws you under the bus in the media?  Our half-time adjustments have been well behind the curve (if half-time adjustments are actually even made); he has already professed to knowing nothing about offense (although to be a great DC, one would think you would need a good understanding of what is coming against you), and his handling of the media will one day make a really fine case study. 

Agree 100% with 17to85... worst HC in Bomber history, worse than Kelly and Reinebold because at least they appeared to have an idea of what kind of team they were trying to build.

Burke is cooked and he knows it. I like the guy as a defensive coordinator, and I appreciate his honesty in his answers to questions, but you just simply cannot hire somebody with no experience as a head coach, and expect them to simply "get it" and be able to be the head coach for a group of professionals.

Disagree with this statement.  Benevides and Chamblin both very recently jumped into first time GC spots with immediate success. 

I think the thing with Burke is that he was wildly successful at DC for 2 teams, but despite that success, was passed over for multiple HC gigs.  That speaks volumes about his potential at HC... but here come the white knight Bombers with an opportunity for him. 

I don't think we had anything to lose in giving him a shot midseason.. but why we decided to give him a 3-year contract after that is beyond me. How as a player can you get excited to play for an uninspiring coach that throws you under the bus in the media?  Our half-time adjustments have been well behind the curve (if half-time adjustments are actually even made); he has already professed to knowing nothing about offense (although to be a great DC, one would think you would need a good understanding of what is coming against you), and his handling of the media will one day make a really fine case study. 

Agree 100% with 17to85... worst HC in Bomber history, worse than Kelly and Reinebold because at least they appeared to have an idea of what kind of team they were trying to build.

I would argue that Benevides team is seriously underperforming and Chamblin's coaching only improved when Cortez showed up.  Both were 'decent' coaches.

The mistake that is made by rookie coaches is bringing in all their inexperienced guys with them - first Lapo and now Burke has done the same thing...  Chamblin succeeds because of Richie Hall, Cortex and Khari Jones as QB coach doesn't hurt either.

And, yeah, you are over-estimating Reinbold... he had no idea what team he was building...

We keep hiring inexperienced guys to be HC & they are usually friends of Board members or managers. Frustrating.

Ahh revisionist history. Burke was tapped as HC, because he was the most highly touted "next CFL HC" around the league. People were TERRIFIED we were going to lose him if we didn't promote him.