Justin Goltz

We keep hiring inexperienced guys to be HC & they are usually friends of Board members or managers. Frustrating.

Ahh revisionist history. Burke was tapped as HC, because he was the most highly touted "next CFL HC" around the league. People were TERRIFIED we were going to lose him if we didn't promote him. 

Aside from Burke being a successful coordinatior and Daly being a marginal one, the situations of Daly and Burke are very similar in my opinion...

At least we had a QB in 2005.

We keep hiring inexperienced guys to be HC & they are usually friends of Board members or managers. Frustrating.

Ahh revisionist history. Burke was tapped as HC, because he was the most highly touted "next CFL HC" around the league. People were TERRIFIED we were going to lose him if we didn't promote him. 

Precisely.  But that is merely fan opinion.  What concerns me more is management's evaluation of head coaching candidates...or rather...the lack of it.

Precisely.  But that is merely fan opinion.  What concerns me more is management's evaluation of head coaching candidates...or rather...the lack of it.

safe to say I think that Burke was lured here with the promise that he'd be next up to be head coach. How else can you explain him just getting the job after all those red flags that popped up last season

Yeah, true to an extent so i will give you that. We know the best connected & most successful ex head coach & GM works in the CFL offices as Director Of Officiating & would jump at the chance to be a HC &/or GM again. We'll see how that goes.

Its hard to tell if Burke could be a good HC...  he went into this season with Creehan and Crowton - this was his choice (although likely with no small influence by Mack...) - maybe if we coughed up the dough for Stubler and Cortez, the season is not quite so bad.  too late now... just hope Miller and BoD recognize that we need to spend $$ on coaches who actually work for us - not just the ones that used to.

So from the start of the year.....Goltz goes from #4 to #2 (Brink, Elliott chopped), then to #1, (Buck hurt) then down to #3.....briefly a #2 behind Hall.....Back to #1....then a #2...finally this week, back to #3.   Of course, this is with 7 games still to go......

Comedic.

In retrospect...if it wasn't for my upcoming shoulder surgery........

So from the start of the year.....Goltz goes from #4 to #2 (Brink, Elliott chopped), then to #1, (Buck hurt) then down to #3.....briefly a #2 behind Hall.....Back to #1....then a #2...finally this week, back to #3.   Of course, this is with 7 games still to go......

Comedic.

In retrospect...if it wasn't for my upcoming shoulder surgery........

But...we were on the cusp...

Yeah, true to an extent so i will give you that. We know the best connected & most successful ex head coach & GM works in the CFL offices as Director Of Officiating & would jump at the chance to be a HC &/or GM again. We'll see how that goes.

How do you know this exactly?  Just wondering if this has been made public somewhere recently, because I sure haven't heard it yet.

How do you know this exactly?  Just wondering if this has been made public somewhere recently, because I sure haven't heard it yet.

Sure haven't heard what? That he wants to coach &/or manage? That's pretty common knowledge.

Sure haven't heard what? That he wants to coach &/or manage? That's pretty common knowledge.

How so?  I am curious to know where this information comes from.

He has said in some interviews that he would like to go back to being a GM and/or HC. He's also applied for a few openings in the past few years as well including here after Kelly and Bauer were gone.

Interesting...

He has said in some interviews that he would like to go back to being a GM and/or HC. He's also applied for a few openings in the past few years as well including here after Kelly and Bauer were gone.

Interesting...

Sorry TB, but this is pretty common knowledge. The CFL job is a gig until he finds something else coaching wise. If not, it's a nice cushy job to fall back on. But Higgins does want to coach again.

Interesting...

Sorry TB, but this is pretty common knowledge. The CFL job is a gig until he finds something else coaching wise. If not, it's a nice cushy job to fall back on. But Higgins does want to coach again.

I'm not sure why your apologizing here.  I questioned your statement because I hadn't heard anything about it.  I don't claim to know ALL of what goes on in the CFL, so if there is something I haven't heard, I'll ask about it.  That's part of what a message board is about.

Besides, if it was "common knowledge" then shouldn't I be the one apologizing??   :unsure:

Interesting...

I'm not sure why your apologizing here.  I questioned your statement because I hadn't heard anything about it.  I don't claim to know ALL of what goes on in the CFL, so if there is something I haven't heard, I'll ask about it.  That's part of what a message board is about.

Besides, if it was "common knowledge" then shouldn't I be the one apologizing??   :unsure:

Sorry, TB.

Interesting...

Sorry, TB.

I apologize to all four of you

It has been presented that Goltz was Mack's guy. Another example of athletisim not translating into being a player, especially at the QB spot. Why do you think he played QB at Occidental College?

bah Tim Burke loves his athletes as well, case in point all the raving he did about Cauchy Muamba in preseason, specifically his athleticism. All the raving he did about Markett, specifically the athleticism, all the raving he did about Goltz, specifically the athleticism. Hell remember that Goltz didn't get his own special package in the offense until Burke took over... All this blaming Mack for Goltz is ridiculous when Goltz biggest and most vocal supporter was Tim Burke, until Goltz had some bad stretches of play, then Burke was pretty quick to turn on him. Course Burke is a smart guy, he knows that the fired GM is a great scapegoat so he can try and buy himself some breathing room by joining in on the piling on. 

It has been presented that Goltz was Mack's guy. Another example of athletisim not translating into being a player, especially at the QB spot. Why do you think he played QB at Occidental College?

bah Tim Burke loves his athletes as well, case in point all the raving he did about Cauchy Muamba in preseason, specifically his athleticism. All the raving he did about Markett, specifically the athleticism, all the raving he did about Goltz, specifically the athleticism. Hell remember that Goltz didn't get his own special package in the offense until Burke took over... All this blaming Mack for Goltz is ridiculous when Goltz biggest and most vocal supporter was Tim Burke, until Goltz had some bad stretches of play, then Burke was pretty quick to turn on him. Course Burke is a smart guy, he knows that the fired GM is a great scapegoat so he can try and buy himself some breathing room by joining in on the piling on. 

Com'n now...nobody has accused Burke of being smart  ;)