Week 4 Ottawa @ Montreal

johnzo

8 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Is that the best the Als could of done for a HC

Well, unless Kent Austin is desperate to coach again and the Als' awful owner and front office would take him .... Yes.

Was said many times that Lapolice was going nowhere near that mess this offseason.  Davon Claybrooks was on the list, but he ain't doing it either.  Yeah when Reed is running the show, this is what you get.

6 minutes ago, yogi said:

Matthews is terrible.

I think it would have been even worse with Willy at the helm.

Bad conservative stale coaching and playing favorites with the wrong QBs does this.  You got two young athletic QBs on your team and you're not letting them see the field.

STUPID!!

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

I think it would have been even worse with Willy at the helm.

Bad conservative stale coaching and playing favorites with the wrong QBs does this.  You got two young athletic QBs on your team and you're not letting them see the field.

STUPID!!

You are like Chris Jones.. You wanna pull the QB after every series. Pull Willy he sucks put in Matthews.. Pull him he sucks now play this guy oh wait he sucks also

Edited by Goalie

47 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You are like Chris Jones.. You wanna pull the QB after every series. Pull Willy he sucks put in Matthews.. Pull him he sucks now play this guy oh wait he sucks also

For Willy, I think most of us knew prior to this season starting he should have been taken off the Als roster altogether.  He has absolutely nothing left in the tank and if it wasn't for Kavis Reed being in a position he shouldn't be in, he'd probably either be a 3rd string QB off in Edmonton or CGY where he couldn't do any damage, or out of the league period.

And I only said Matthews was better than Willy which isn't saying much at all considering just about every QB except for Watford fits that bill.  But I've been pretty hard against putting him as the immediate backup behind Willy as my other post title said bench Willy and start Adams.  Adams has proven he's better than Matthews who's already been given his chances and gotten kicked off of two other rosters.

But hey, if you want to go head and try to defend the already disgraced Kavis Reed and his piss poor QB favorites that he's forcing Sherman to play, by all means please do.

I just don't get why the Als just want to keep putting old stale QBs in there and refuse to put young fresh blood out there to at least try and get the team moving.  It just does them no good to keep trotting out QBs who've hit their ceiling and got kicked off of other teams.

With a pure rookie or 1st year player like Streveler, yeah you gotta give them room for mistakes and temper your expectations on them because they're still learning the game.  Plus in a case like Streveler's where he's already exceeding expectations in some ways, he's earned the rope.

Willy and Matthews are both veterans who if they're going to get to start have to be expected to play at a much higher level than they have, and if they start screwing up they deserve to get yanked.  Put in Adams and the rookies.

28 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I just don't get why the Als just want to keep putting old stale QBs in there and refuse to put young fresh blood out there to at least try and get the team moving.  It just does them no good to keep trotting out QBs who've hit their ceiling and got kicked off of other teams.

With a pure rookie or 1st year player like Streveler, yeah you gotta give them room for mistakes and temper your expectations on them because they're still learning the game.  Plus in a case like Streveler's where he's already exceeding expectations in some ways, he's earned the rope.

Willy and Matthews are both veterans who if they're going to get to start have to be expected to play at a much higher level than they have, and if they start screwing up they deserve to get yanked.  Put in Adams and the rookies.

Improving QB performance always starts with improving the O-line play, the Als could roll through 30 different QB's and it would look much the same, I don't think Streveler would look any better in that situation.  Once the O-line is solidified almost any competent QB can begin to go to work executing the plays in the play-book and move away from ad-libbing sandlot football.  Willy is in a very bad spot, he requires very good O-line play to execute even moderately well and he's terrible at sandlot play.

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Improving QB performance always starts with improving the O-line play, the Als could roll through 30 different QB's and it would look much the same, I don't think Streveler would look any better in that situation.  Once the O-line is solidified almost any competent QB can begin to go to work executing the plays in the play-book and move away from ad-libbing sandlot football.  Willy is in a very bad spot, he requires very good O-line play to execute even moderately well and he's terrible at sandlot play.

Willy would do better with Stampeders. 

Bo doesn't run, and doesn't have to, cause their line somehow or other, is always good.

Not sure why that team is so good at O line, but it is.

Edited by Mark F

I love that the myth that Willy is the 'victim' of bad OLs still exists...  the guy plays like a deer-in-the-headlights and no OL will ever fix that.  Willy makes all-star OLinemen look like rookies.

Look how much max protect we deployed when he was here and that didn't work...  he had happy feet from day one and after that hit in Hamilton, he's shellshocked.  Guy should be ecstatic to have somehow still received $$ for 2-3 more years...

28 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I love that the myth that Willy is the 'victim' of bad OLs still exists...  the guy plays like a deer-in-the-headlights and no OL will ever fix that.  Willy makes all-star OLinemen look like rookies.

Look how much max protect we deployed when he was here and that didn't work...  he had happy feet from day one and after that hit in Hamilton, he's shellshocked.  Guy should be ecstatic to have somehow still received $$ for 2-3 more years...

The O-line did not solidify until they inserted Bond at LG and Hardrick at RT which coincided with Nichols taking over from Willy.  Before his major injuries Willy was pretty much fearless.  Go back and watch his early performances in B+G.

13 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The O-line did not solidify until they inserted Bond at LG and Hardrick at RT which coincided with Nichols taking over from Willy.  Before his major injuries Willy was pretty much fearless.  Go back and watch his early performances in B+G.

just had a look, he was twice CFL offensive player of the week, 2014, and team nominee for outstanding CFL player. Leggett was on the team.

Edited by Mark F

19 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Man you gotta pull Matthews, he's attempting retarted throws with no form out there and not coming close to hitting the WR.  Stick in Adams.

I hate when this word is used in this context.

I love the irony of you misspelling this word in this context.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Bingo, this OL crap is a farce.  MTLs offensive line is by no means anything to write home about.  But Matthews was sacked less than Willy last night, and I guarantee you if you got a get rid of the ball quick guy like Nichols out there with them they do just fine.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

just had a look, he was twice CFL offensive player of the week, 2014, and team nominee for outstanding CFL player. Leggett was on the team.

July 30th, 2015.  Willy came back early from a knee injury and gutted out a win against BC, rushing for 72 yards despite a visible between-plays limp.  We'd gotten completely creamed without him the week before. We were a different team with him.

He's struggled aince then, but once upon a time, the dude was a legit starter.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Remember that his center in 2015 was Dominic Picard, a guy who could neither snap nor block.