Game Day Thread- Week Three: Winnipeg @ Hamilton June 29, 2018

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Its cute how you get so angered by somebody elses opinion. By saying we would win if Nichols played is pretty much saying the Ds play was fine and thats the part that makes no sense. IMO we lose yesterday when with Nichols. How does Nichols make the D play better exactly? 

This isn't me angry little fella. I'm annoyed because apparently when you say The D sucked and the O didn't do anything, people completely write off the first part. I'm glad you think 17 points and 290 yards is good enough. I don't. I also don't think the D played well. See how that works? You can think both aspects played poorly...because they did. Nichols wont make the D play better. He will make the O better. Which will create more points. Which is how you win games. 

Edited by Bigblue204

14 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

This isn't me angry little fella. I'm annoyed because apparently when you say The D sucked and the O didn't do anything, people completely write off the first part. I'm glad you think 17 points and 290 yards is good enough. I don't. I also don't think the D played well. See how that works? You can think both aspects played poorly...because they did. Nichols wont make the D play better. He will make the O better. Which will create more points. Which is how you win games. 

Not necessarily true..."that is how you win games"...if the defence holds the other team to 0 points or 16 points and we score 17...we win don't we?

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

We knew that the offence under Streveler was going to struggle in some games, but we were led to believe that the invigorated defence would be better than last year, specifically with the deletion of Hurl and the addition of Bighill. They lied.

.....  they were under a misapprehension that the defence would be better. 

It annoys  me, that the rookie qb did well enough in the rain game, to win, and again the defence let the game slip away. pretty tired of that.

My  question is, (for the people that think the defence has been bad this season, as I do, ) will the defence improve, stay the same, or get worse? 

Will the Bombers still be 8th or 9th in yards allowed?

I think it could do better, but I don't think it will. 

another question, what do the D players think of R Hall and his coaching?

Edited by Mark F

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It annoys  me, that the rookie qb did well enough in the rain game, to win, and again the defence let the game slip away. pretty tired of that.

My  question is, (for the people that think the defence has been bad this season, as I do, ) will the defence improve, stay the same, or get worse? 

Will the Bombers still be 8th or 9th in yards allowed?

I think it could do better, but I don't think it will. 

another question, what do the D players think of R Hall and his coaching?

Well I think it's quite straightforward. We inserted new players in key positions to suggest it was lack of execution and not coaching/schemes. Three games in not looking good. I'd say by the sixth game if we see it continuing with no significant improvement time to take a different direction with the D coaching. Players are never absolved of their responsibility regardless of whose coaching but with what we are seeing so far with having new additions with the same overall results  I'd say the pendulum has swung more to something amiss with the D coaching approach. We can still right the ship if after three more games nothing improves. The clock has started, the pressure is on, no more excuses.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

We knew that the offence under Streveler was going to struggle in some games, but we were led to believe that the invigorated defence would be better than last year, specifically with the deletion of Hurl and the addition of Bighill. They lied.

It would be better but O'Shea kept Hall because of some warped sense of loyalty to the guy. Not because he did a good job. We all knew this would happen with Hall as DC. Everyone knew it except Miller,Walters & Osh. Just how the hell can that be?  Players have to perform or they're gone. Why shouldn't it be the same for crappy assistants or coordinators?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Well I think it's quite straightforward. We inserted new players in key positions to suggest it was lack of execution and not coaching/schemes. Three games in not looking good. I'd say by the sixth game if we see it continuing with no significant improvement time to take a different direction with the D coaching. Players are never absolved of their responsibility regardless of whose coaching but with what we are seeing so far with having new additions with the same overall results  I'd say the pendulum has swung more to something amiss with the D coaching approach. We can still right the ship if after three more games nothing improves. The clock has started, the pressure is on, no more excuses.

Our HC doesn't operate like that. I can't see him firing Hall during the season out of respect just because he has played & coached in the CFL for decades. He did fire his STC in 2014 but he was a former U Sports head coach in his first season with the Bombers. No, a Hall firing would be handled a lot differently. We're stuck with the guy, unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

Will the Bombers still be 8th or 9th in yards allowed?  I think it could do better, but I don't think it will.  Another question, what do the D players think of R Hall and his coaching?

I am also concerned that if the players give up on Hall, they also have to know that O'Shea does not have the grit to replace him, and O'Shea will also lose his credibility. Then we are in free-fall. The bottom line: O'Shea and company have had several years now after admittedly walking into a dressing room and organization in disarray, but so far the playoff wins are zero. Yes, the players are paid to play, but when are they going to come to the conclusion that the Grey Cup isn't coming their way any time soon.