Blow out

pigseye

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

pretty sure i have a pretty good direct knowledge as have played in 2 of the 3 leagues u mentioned.as well as been involved in creating playbooks and packages.maybe some teams run a series of pre-determined plays...called game planning but to say to run play A...B..C..D...E in a series is yes laughable and not a recipe for success.

Now you may yes have a set of plays based on scouting to counter act a teams sets..schemes..personel etc..etc but game flow and situation dictates what you run..as well as what seems to be working outside your game prep too

Its not that those 15-18 are in a strict series no. But those 15-18 in the first 20 some yes. As i said, you do mix in other plays situationaly. 

Game flow and situation are Set by your opener. Thats how you set and control the tone. After that you cant pre plan, only strategize and prepare tactics. 18 plays in you arent gonna say give up on the run (unless ur plop) and arent going to know for sure if X strategy/tactic/play has been countered off the table by the D. 

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You do, but if you build and maintain for the play offs and hope to break through your chances are not nearly as good as a team going all in in a short period of time to win it all. Not all GC winners are perennial play off teams. 

You're making the playoffs every year, meaning you have a shot every year. Of course not all GC winners are perennial playoff teams, but making the playoffs more often than not certainly increases the odds of winning a championship.

How does "going all in in a short period of time" increase a team's odds of winning a championship vs. a team building for continuity that makes the playoffs consistently...?

13 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You do, but if you build and maintain for the play offs and hope to break through your chances are not nearly as good as a team going all in in a short period of time to win it all. Not all GC winners are perennial play off teams. 

As yes, the Taman approach.  That explains his incredible success and why he's still such a factor in this league.  

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

I love when people try and act like they know more than Booch.... 

I too have loved the very effective "Booch slapdown" handed to some of our self proclaimed experts.  Very enjoyable to watch.  At the same time Booch, thanks so much for sharing these "in-depth" type views.  They are fascinating.

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Its not that those 15-18 are in a strict series no. But those 15-18 in the first 20 some yes. As i said, you do mix in other plays situationaly. 

Game flow and situation are Set by your opener. Thats how you set and control the tone. After that you cant pre plan, only strategize and prepare tactics. 18 plays in you arent gonna say give up on the run (unless ur plop) and arent going to know for sure if X strategy/tactic/play has been countered off the table by the D. 

Just curious if you know the background of who you're arguing with... have you played NCAA and CFL?

18 hours ago, 17to85 said:

No one except you. 

You believe the sky is falling, that is completely false. I mean really Edmonton beat the Bombers once this year, it just happened to be in the only game that mattered, but the thing about football is that it's a harsh mistress, lose one game in the playoffs your done no matter what else you did last season. 

Let me ask you this, is Calgary not a contender cause they've lost a bunch of playoff games when they had such good records in the regular season? 

Yet the majority on here want Hall's head on a poke and you want Lapos too, and I'm the only one?

Who said the sky is falling, they are on the right track, just not as close as some seem to think they are. You judge a team by how they perform in crunch time, not how they played in July or August, ffs you know this.

Calgary has also won a bunch of playoff games and cups in that stretch, unlike us.

17 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Calgary has also won a bunch of playoff games and cups in that stretch, unlike us.

Except they really haven't got a lot of cups to show for all the seasons of being first in the league... They got 2014, they got 2008 after they cleaned out their own gong show. So really judging by the team everyone loves to hold up as the best thing going we have 10 years to get 2 cups with multiple seasons of playoffs. Plenty of times Calgary was one and done in the playoffs as well. Can think of a bunch of west final games they pissed away at home. Did that make them not a contender? Simple fact is that all season long Winnipeg was one of the best teams in the league, that makes them a contender, that they lost a single elimination game doesn't change that. I think everyone agreed that all of Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary were contenders for the cup. Had Winnipeg won last weekend would people sit here and say Edmonton was never a contender? I somehow doubt that. 

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

I love when people try and act like they know more than Booch.... 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

Just curious if you know the background of who you're arguing with... have you played NCAA and CFL?

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I too have loved the very effective "Booch slapdown" handed to some of our self proclaimed experts.  Very enjoyable to watch.  At the same time Booch, thanks so much for sharing these "in-depth" type views.  They are fascinating.

Yeah don't profess to be a know it all blow hard but have seen a lot..done a lot and worked with a lot so like to share my first hand experience/knowledge as well as some insider insight I am privvy to at times as well...

The original poster is somewhat correct, that there is I guess you can call it a set list and play-calls predetermined based on looks and  if flow goes a certain way...thats a given and thats basically part of the gameplan ...and some coaches a lack there of.  I was just trying to argue the perception that I got that a first drive was a pre-determined sequence of plays that are ran in succession regardless of the fact of anything else.

That being said I have been in games where we ran basically 3 plays until the other team showed they could counter, or stop it

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Except they really haven't got a lot of cups to show for all the seasons of being first in the league... They got 2014, they got 2008 after they cleaned out their own gong show. So really judging by the team everyone loves to hold up as the best thing going we have 10 years to get 2 cups with multiple seasons of playoffs. Plenty of times Calgary was one and done in the playoffs as well. Can think of a bunch of west final games they pissed away at home. Did that make them not a contender? Simple fact is that all season long Winnipeg was one of the best teams in the league, that makes them a contender, that they lost a single elimination game doesn't change that. I think everyone agreed that all of Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary were contenders for the cup. Had Winnipeg won last weekend would people sit here and say Edmonton was never a contender? I somehow doubt that. 

Let me ask you straight up then, can this current Bomber team win the GC? You said in a previous thread that we couldn't with Lapo as the OC, so if we can't win the GC, how are we a contender then? Surely even you can see the nonsense in your logic even if spuds and the others can't?

10 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Let me ask you straight up then, can this current Bomber team win the GC? You said in a previous thread that we couldn't with Lapo as the OC, so if we can't win the GC, how are we a contender then? Surely even you can see the nonsense in your logic even if spuds and the others can't?

why'd I get dragged into this pissing match again?

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

of course they can. any team can string together 3 wins in the playoffs at any time. Yeah I said we'll never win with Lapo, that's hyperbole, but it'll be an uphill battle to win with him, will take the D and STs dragging his ass along.