Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I think I know which fanpage it is you're referring to on FB. I was on it briefly a while back but had to leave. It was a joke.

I honestly don't get the ire Bettman receives from NHL fans here or across the country, or this notion he has some anti-Canada agenda.

if he didn't have an anti-Canada agenda then we'd be facing the QC Nordiques like at least once this season (because I think the Jets had to face all the Western teams at least once in our first year but then again our excuse is different from Vegas's they're an expansion team we're not)

Just now, iHeart said:

if he didn't have an anti-Canada agenda then we'd be facing the QC Nordiques like at least once this season (because I think the Jets had to face all the Western teams at least once in our first year but then again our excuse is different from Vegas's they're an expansion team we're not)

That logic isn't even bordering on reasonable. In fact, I can't even begin to understand what you're trying to get at in this post.

And if the Nordiques were in the NHL, the Jets would face them twice, on the road and at home. Same as every other Eastern Conference team. 

Re the Panther attendance or rather lack of, the owner supposedly has a sweet lease deal from the county so his isn't losing anything, optics looks bad on the NHL having professionals play in front of virtually nobody but the players don't seem to care, there getting paid and the weathers great.

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Re the Panther attendance or rather lack of, the owner supposedly has a sweet lease deal from the county so his isn't losing anything, optics looks bad on the NHL having professionals play in front of virtually nobody but the players don't seem to care, there getting paid and the weathers great.

I think the Panthers are a real possibility to move eventually but like you said, as long as they have a building and an owner, its the Meatloaf Standard - two out of three aint bad (especially when one of the two is the most important - a building).

To a degree, the NHL should be commended for its loyalty to existing franchises and markets.  The battle in PHX was about two things - asserting their right to decide (and not letting a rich guy come in and force the issue) and creating precedent that when the NHL lobbies local government to invest in buildings, they will move heaven and earth to make it work.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

One thing that should have become clear since the Jets returned and the emotion of losing them faded away is that Bettman is not the enemy and never was. 

Yeah I know I know, it's not Bettman's fault the problem was the wrong people got involved with trying to save the jets, and it all became too political, the NHL needs to stay out of Politics I don't know what the right statement is in this situation. But I think the NHL tried to get involved in Calgary's Civic election but I probably misinterpreted it and got something confused or something

Edited by iHeart

1 minute ago, iHeart said:

Yeah I know I know, it's not Bettman's fault the problem was the wrong people got involved with trying to save the jets, and it all became too political, the NHL needs to stay out of Politics I don't know what the right statement is in this situation. But I think the NHL tried to get involved in Calgary's Civic election but I probably misinterpreted it and got something confused or smoething

I definitely think the NHL was wrong for their interference in Calgary's election.  But I guess as a business they can do that if they so desire.

As I recall, the only area I really had an issue with Bettman during the Save The Jets thing was his reluctance to allow a large group ownership structure but then allowed it for the Oilers.  I DO believe Bettman really really wanted to relocate a couple of Canadian teams to the US as part of his US expansion plans.  No doubt.  But the Jets were dead man walking anyway. 

there have been several tweets from the Vegas social media team this year that I thought were really lame and immature. They stopped being funny a long time ago...I'm officially in the group that wants to see them go on a long and painful losing streak. They're like Jets fans after that one playoff run....really really mouthy for not much reason.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

there have been several tweets from the Vegas social media team this year that I thought were really lame and immature. They stopped being funny a long time ago...I'm officially in the group that wants to see them go on a long and painful losing streak. They're like Jets fans after that one playoff run....really really mouthy for not much reason.

Or Oiler fans last year or Leaf fans in general. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

which Jets are we talking about here?  Because I don't remember any playoff runs.

As for Vegas, yup, time to put an adult in charge of the millennials and get a lot more professional.  I still don't get what they were doing picking on the CFL.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

which Jets are we talking about here?  Because I don't remember any playoff runs.

As for Vegas, yup, time to put an adult in charge of the millennials and get a lot more professional.  I still don't get what they were doing picking on the CFL.

They are just cringe now. Lame AF. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Vegas twitter was wrong. They are cringe. There are strict rules about showing no bias in the pressbox. Someone needs to take the Vegas twitter away from the 16 year old who runs it. 

Imagine if Chipman read that and it was the Jets, the media would be in a worse spot to watch a game. Not surprised this happened by Vegas. Thought it would be LA tho. Team Twitter wars are just dumb imho.

42 minutes ago, iHeart said:

LOL - hey we have a goalie who just passed concussion protocol!  What do we do?  Let's fire pucks at his head in the morning skate!  :)

I still remember reading Don Cherry's book and how Hilliard Graves was always shooting pucks at the goalies' heads in warm-up because he had no control of his shot.   I laughed because I remembered Graves played for Winnipeg and how much he stunk when he played for the Jets.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

The problem is that so many of the people in Ottawa are fans of the Leafs and the Habs...  they did not do a good job of getting the youth to be interested in the Sens....

And also the arena is in Selkirk. 

Its not but its not downtown... Its 20 25 minute drive to no mans land... I insulted Selkirk cuz its actually a nice lil town... Kanata where the Sens play has NOTHING. Its an awful location and their arena is 2 big. Make it 16 to 17000 and its full every night. 

Edited by Goalie

On 2017-12-16 at 4:24 PM, Goalie said:

And also the arena is in Selkirk. 

Its not but its not downtown... Its 20 25 minute drive to no mans land... I insulted Selkirk cuz its actually a nice lil town... Kanata where the Sens play has NOTHING. Its an awful location and their arena is 2 big. Make it 16 to 17000 and its full every night. 

Yes it’s a big problems. Im surprised the owner didn’t mention that as it would be a precursor to new arena chatter. They need a smaller home closer to home.