Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

58 minutes ago, Rich said:

Forbes has released its annual valuation of NHL teams.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2017/12/05/the-nhls-most-valuable-teams-4/#3ca2687417c7

https://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Jets come in at #26 with an estimated value of $375M.  Estimated revenue of $119M and $10M in operating income.

Funny how Vegas paid $500M for their franchise, yet half the teams in the league are valued at less than that.

Good list.  Of course it doesnt paint the entire picture.  Jets have a ceiling as an NHL franchise but as part of True North, its the economic driver of a lot more revenue than that.  I do enjoy seeing the Jets make money though given how many said it would be impossible.

17 hours ago, bustamente said:

Push comes to shove Calgary will get there new building , might take a few years though, as for value of teams most invoke creative book keeping so Forbes list is a calculated and market guess at best

Correct me if Im wrong, but it only takes into account revenues directly to the team, right?  Like for example, it doesnt factor revenue True North earns from operating the arena.  So the money True North makes is much larger than just what this list would imply.

I think teams have, in the past, said Forbes is way off. 

Didn't anyone click on the links that breaks down why they value each club at the total they give. 

Most of what drives those other cities up is the market size and the value of the arena they play in.     Our gate receipts is better then most teams... it's just the things that the club cannot control is what gives us the smaller value.     Makes sense to me. 

22 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Didn't anyone click on the links that breaks down why they value each club at the total they give. 

Most of what drives those other cities up is the market size and the value of the arena they play in.     Our gate receipts is better then most teams... it's just the things that the club cannot control is what gives us the smaller value.     Makes sense to me. 

Debt ratio and annual operating income is a bit scary but that's probably due to the recent changes in the dollar - would think most of their costs are in USD

Don't see how NYI, Phoenix and Carolina can survive without constant cash infusions from the league

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Debt ratio and annual operating income is a bit scary but that's probably due to the recent changes in the dollar - would think most of their costs are in USD

Don't see how NYI, Phoenix and Carolina can survive without constant cash infusions from the league

Rich owners that can afford to lose money every year?  I don't know.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Correct me if Im wrong, but it only takes into account revenues directly to the team, right?  Like for example, it doesnt factor revenue True North earns from operating the arena.  So the money True North makes is much larger than just what this list would imply.

I think teams have, in the past, said Forbes is way off. 

Yes I believe you are right.

For future relocation talk.. There are 3 things the NHL looks for... 

Atlanta had none so.... 

1. Strong Ownership - Carolina has that 

2. A building to play in - Arizona has that 

3. Local support including sponsorship - Carolina has that 

Arizona doesnt have 2 of those... # 1 and #3. #2 is being decided on right now.. If the downtown Phoenix arena plan fails (it probably will) they will move. 

Carolina was mentioned a few times for possible relocation, speculation only of course.  And Florida.  The NHL will do anything to avoid it.  As goalie said and is quite right about.  People in Winnipeg hated to hear it but Bettman said the same thing about us.  No building and no owner.  He always said Winnipeg had fan support but you cant exist with one out of three.

The only reason there was no fight in Atlanta is because the team owners controlled the building and there was no convincing them to keep hockey in their building even if someone else owned it.  So they had leverage.  They were simply not going to have hockey games at their building anymore.  Period.  So the NHL had no option but to consider relocation.  And Winnipeg was not only the best and most capable soft landing spot, but everyone wanted Chipman to succeed.  He dd the NHL a major solid by being the leverage for the NHL to play hardball in Glendale (and came within minutes of getting the Coyotes the year before they got the Thrashers).

Probably the easiest thing to do is find an owner because the NHL uses creative accounting and revenue sharing and other things to make it worth it.  So if they have a building, thats probably the biggest issue.  No building = doesnt matter if you have an owner and fans.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It's hard to believe that in 2011 no one wanted an NHL team but us.

2011 was only a couple of years removed from the last attempt of Jim Balsillie to get a NHL franchise. Three swings, three misses... A true lesson in futility.

While I can't be certain, I'm guessing there were other parties interested regarding the instability of the Atlanta Thrashers and its ownership group. TNSE, however, just went about acquiring a franchise the right way and was rewarded justly for its patient efforts. TNSE also had a good track record with its IHL/AHL franchise, which I'm sure helped its cause when it came to negotiating with the NHL.

26 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

2011 was only a couple of years removed from the last attempt of Jim Balsillie to get a NHL franchise. Three swings, three misses... A true lesson in futility.

While I can't be certain, I'm guessing there were other parties interested regarding the instability of the Atlanta Thrashers and its ownership group. TNSE, however, just went about acquiring a franchise the right way and was rewarded justly for its patient efforts. TNSE also had a good track record with its IHL/AHL franchise, which I'm sure helped its cause when it came to negotiating with the NHL.

Also helps to have a Baron on your ownership team.

416x416.jpg?background=000000&cropX1=251&cropX2=702&cropY1=40&cropY2=491

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

For future relocation talk.. There are 3 things the NHL looks for... 

Atlanta had none so.... 

1. Strong Ownership - Carolina has that 

2. A building to play in - Arizona has that 

3. Local support including sponsorship - Carolina has that 

Arizona doesnt have 2 of those... # 1 and #3. #2 is being decided on right now.. If the downtown Phoenix arena plan fails (it probably will) they will move. 

It's a shame we can't pin some posts, because this would have been Pinned worthy

12 hours ago, iHeart said:

Fans of the Winnipeg Jets sez:

Dear Gary Dumbass Bettman. Look at Florida's crowd and explain why this team exists

It's not just Gary Bettman who makes the call on whether or not a team stays somewhere. The NHL Board of Governors is the ruling body that makes decisions as far as expansion, sale, and/or relocation of a franchise goes.

You can label Bettman a dumbass (he's still better than Goodell) but you should probably do the same for the BoG.

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's not just Gary Bettman who makes the call on whether or not a team stays somewhere. The NHL Board of Governors is the ruling body that makes decisions as far as expansion, sale, and/or relocation of a franchise goes.

You can label Bettman a dumbass (he's still better than Goodell) but you should probably do the same for the BoG.

yes I know he is still better than Goodell, but I didn't make that quote, the fans of the Winnipeg Jets facebook page did, I think I can understand why Frosty quit following it

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

yes I know he is still better than Goodell, but I didn't make that quote, the fans of the Winnipeg Jets facebook page did, I think I can understand why Frosty quit following it

I think I know which fanpage it is you're referring to on FB. I was on it briefly a while back but had to leave. It was a joke.

I honestly don't get the ire Bettman receives from NHL fans here or across the country, or this notion he has some anti-Canada agenda.