Bombers acquire Mark Parenteau

Tim Burke just said on the coaches' show that Swiston is likely to be out this week and probably longer.  On Parenteau: "He can play center and guard, so he gives us a chance to move some guys around".  Also says Pencer likely will be on the 42 this week.

Did anyone else who listened to the coaches show notice that Tim Burke really emphasized that Parenteau can play centre?  It makes me wonder if they are considering moving Sorensen out to guard or tackle.

Tim Burke just said on the coaches' show that Swiston is likely to be out this week and probably longer.  On Parenteau: "He can play center and guard, so he gives us a chance to move some guys around".  Also says Pencer likely will be on the 42 this week.

Did anyone else who listened to the coaches show notice that Tim Burke really emphasized that Parenteau can play centre?  It makes me wonder if they are considering moving Sorensen out to guard or tackle.

No, I don't think Sorensen is losing his job. Parenteau being able to play centre means we don't have to dress Kowalczuk anymore. Pencer can play instead.

Paranteau is and has always been a sixth man. Tillman signed the guy off the Bomber pr and gave him a ridiculous signing bonus. He then became an overpaid utility guy that has never panned out as a worthy starter. Barker has younger, better and cheaper guys. If he couldn't beat out Jeff Keeping in TO at centre that should tell people something. He may unfortunately truly be an upgrade to Morley et al.

No, I don't think Sorensen is losing his job. Parenteau being able to play centre means we don't have to dress Kowalczuk anymore. Pencer can play instead.

I don't know if I would call it "losing his job".  More like getting moved over to strengthen the right side of the line.  Sorensen has tackle experience.  Would be interesting to see something like January-Greaves-Parenteau-Kowalczuk-Sorensen, with Pencer as the sixth man.  Not saying it's going to happen, but the way Tim Burke was talking it sure sounds like there is going to be a bit of a shuffle going on the OL.

Barker has younger, better and cheaper guys. If he couldn't beat out Jeff Keeping in TO at centre that should tell people something. He may unfortunately truly be an upgrade to Morley et al.

If that was true he wouldn't have just signed Kyle Koch to replace him.

He proved he's not a centre in Sask, but he's a serviceable guard.

I don't know if I would call it "losing his job".  More like getting moved over to strengthen the right side of the line.  Sorensen has tackle experience.  Would be interesting to see something like January-Greaves-Parenteau-Kowalczuk-Sorensen, with Pencer as the sixth man.  Not saying it's going to happen, but the way Tim Burke was talking it sure sounds like there is going to be a bit of a shuffle going on the OL.

There is virtually no chance that Sorensen plays RT for us.

Sorenson has bad tackle experience... Hell the only place he's managed to stick in his travels around the league is in Winnipeg at centre. Most likely scenario is Parenteau simply plays guard, Kowalczuk is no longer the 6th ol and Pencer is. 

Barker has younger, better and cheaper guys. If he couldn't beat out Jeff Keeping in TO at centre that should tell people something. He may unfortunately truly be an upgrade to Morley et al.

If that was true he wouldn't have just signed Kyle Koch to replace him.

He proved he's not a centre in Sask, but he's a serviceable guard.

Exactly.  The only way he's playing centre is out of desperation.  He can't snap the ball consistently.

This off-season, we brought in Dewit - a centre - and now Parenteau...  I'd say Sorenson's days as our C are thankfully numbered.

I don't know why.

It's weird to me how everyone bases their impression of the offensive linemen in this league off reputation alone.

Guys like Tim O'Neill, Jeff Keeping, Chris Van Zeyl, Justin Sorensen and Marc Parenteau have really stepped their game up and developed themselves into very serviceable players despite a lackluster start to their careers. On the flip side, guys like Dmitri Tsoumpas, Andrew Woodruff and Josh Bourke have seen a pretty decent drop off in play yet they're still treated like gold in the eyes of most fans.

This off-season, we brought in Dewit - a centre - and now Parenteau...  I'd say Sorenson's days as our C are thankfully numbered.

I don't know why.

It's weird to me how everyone bases their impression of the offensive linemen in this league off reputation alone.

Guys like Tim O'Neill, Jeff Keeping, Chris Van Zeyl, Justin Sorensen and Marc Parenteau have really stepped their game up and developed themselves into very serviceable players despite a lackluster start to their careers. On the flip side, guys like Dmitri Tsoumpas, Andrew Woodruff and Josh Bourke have seen a pretty decent drop off in play yet they're still treated like gold in the eyes of most fans.

I know what you're saying but I'd still take Tsoumpas over anyone on our offensive line.  :)

I don't know why.

I know what you're saying but I'd still take Tsoumpas over anyone on our offensive line.  :)

I absolutely would too.

But he's certainly not the same Tsoumpas he used to be.

I don't know why.

You forgot Jovon Olafioye on your second list.

I don't know why.

You forgot Jovon Olafioye on your second list.

True. Was focusing on non imports but he definitely applies as well.

Won't be too rough on him though, doesn't he have a pretty serious medical condition?

I'd like to think I'm a fairly knowledgeable fan, that said I would never pretend to know anything about o-line play. I mean it's pretty easy to tell when a unit works and has success, and when one would be lucky to stop the Rifles pass rush. Beyond that, I'll leave opinions on individual guys to the experts....and "experts".

I don't know why.

How Parenteau fits in that group I don't know.  He played more in his early years than he has in his prime.  He had multiple opportunities to win a starting job in both Saskatchewan and Toronto and flubbed it.  I don't know how anyone can judge him above how he's been judged by coaches, because he rarely plays 2 games in a row.  Parenteau's value is that he can play multiple positions at an average level.  Sorensen has no ability to move laterally.  He was smart enough to learn a new position that can mask his deficiencies.  O'Neill has always been a savvy, scrappy interior lineman, not the most talented.  Van Zeyl and Keeping are two of the most athletic OL in the league who were coached into players, kind of like what we've been hoping would happen with Greaves, but hasn't likely due to our poor coaching.

DelMonaco loves Sorensen.  That's why I think they might move him out to the right side, either as a guard or tackle, to stabilize things over there.

Just doesn't make sense.  You can't drop a guy in to play centre who hasn't been here all season.  Sorensen was bad enough at tackle and guard that BC cut him when they were literally running out of NI's, Wally commented that he can't move his feet well enough to play in the league.  Parenteau is brutal at snapping the ball, last thing you need a shaky QB worrying about, and it's not just snapping it on the turf or over his head, putting it too low or too high but into his body throws everything off too.  We'd immediately be weaker at two positions. 

DelMonaco loves Sorensen.  That's why I think they might move him out to the right side, either as a guard or tackle, to stabilize things over there.

Just doesn't make sense.  You can't drop a guy in to play centre who hasn't been here all season.  Sorensen was bad enough at tackle and guard that BC cut him when they were literally running out of NI's, Wally commented that he can't move his feet well enough to play in the league.  Parenteau is brutal at snapping the ball, last thing you need a shaky QB worrying about, and it's not just snapping it on the turf or over his head, putting it too low or too high but into his body throws everything off too.  We'd immediately be weaker at two positions. 

Damn you and your logic

How Parenteau fits in that group I don't know.  He played more in his early years than he has in his prime.  He had multiple opportunities to win a starting job in both Saskatchewan and Toronto and flubbed it.  I don't know how anyone can judge him above how he's been judged by coaches, because he rarely plays 2 games in a row.  Parenteau's value is that he can play multiple positions at an average level. 

Wasn't he Toronto's starting RG for most of last season?

How Parenteau fits in that group I don't know.  He played more in his early years than he has in his prime.  He had multiple opportunities to win a starting job in both Saskatchewan and Toronto and flubbed it.  I don't know how anyone can judge him above how he's been judged by coaches, because he rarely plays 2 games in a row.  Parenteau's value is that he can play multiple positions at an average level. 

Wasn't he Toronto's starting RG for most of last season?

He rotated with Eppele and Andrew Jones after Gagne-Marcoux got injured.