Kyle Walters

Mr. Perfect

I think with this later move for Parenteau Walters has won me over.

He's a big gamble.  I know people won't like that.  I wouldn't expect him to stay as busy as this in the future if he does get the role, but I love how he is finally acting on things we have been clamouring for.  Get rid of Pierce? Check - and an added bonus for NI WR.  Get a Canadian OL in here? Check.

The only thing that would really give me a red flag is if he wanted to keep Burke.

I think with this later move for Parenteau Walters has won me over.

He's a big gamble.  I know people won't like that.  I wouldn't expect him to stay as busy as this in the future if he does get the role, but I love how he is finally acting on things we have been clamouring for.  Get rid of Pierce? Check - and an added bonus for NI WR.  Get a Canadian OL in here? Check.

The only thing that would really give me a red flag is if he wanted to keep Burke.

You don't have to be a rock-star GM to realize we needed a NI WR, a NI OL, or that Buck had to go. 

And its not like either Foster or Parenteau are world beaters (though Foster is at least intriguing). 

The GM this team needs has to have solid plan and a vision (and a whole off-season to do it) AND be able to land a good QB.

Not saying that couldn't be Walters, but so far he's just grabbed a lot of low hanging fruit. 

But if Goltz can't pass then in the long run his legs won't help us. Otherwise teams would just put a running back  at qb & go from there if it was just about running from that position. The more I watch Goltz the more apparent it is he can't read defenses & make the right decisions when passing. The Rider MLB kept overrunning the play at IGF which is why Goltz had the room he had to run yesterday. Don't expect that to happen every game. Eventually teams will take away Goltz's running ability on first & 10 or second & long the longer he plays & runs the ball himself. Then he'll have to try to win the game with his arm which is what defenses will want him to do.

really? You think he's bad at reading defenses? I don't see that, I don't see a lot of bad decisions passing the ball out of him. Maybe it doesn't always work but that has a lot to do with some of the other issues on the team. I can think specifically of a ball that went straight through Edwards hands at a first down marker, I can think of a ball that bounced off Kohlerts chest close to a first down marker...  I think his limitations as a passer are somewhat overblown by some people. I think the overall package that Goltz brings is superior to Hall right now simply because opposing teams have to defend more aspects. No matter who goes in the passing game we have won't beat anyone, Goltz legs might open things up enough though to scratch out a win.

2 of 9 at halftime for 12 yards tells me that he can't read defenses. Those drops you speak of were made up later by a couple of circus catches by his receivers in the second half that never should have been completed.

I was thinking about Kyle Walters this afternoon. The one advantage of hiring Walters is that he knows the Bomber organization & the needs of the team now so that would probably outweigh his inexperience as he would have a clear plan of attack to fix things as he seems to have. He wouldn't need to evaluate needs as he already knows the problems the team  is having. Having another inexperienced guy come in from another team who doesn't know the Bombers & would have to get up to speed would be disruptive. So, this hire may work. As long as there is a head coaching change & the guy who replaces Burke is a solid choice.... The other advantage is he worked under a completely useless General Manager & saw how not to do things.

But if Goltz can't pass then in the long run his legs won't help us. Otherwise teams would just put a running back  at qb & go from there if it was just about running from that position. The more I watch Goltz the more apparent it is he can't read defenses & make the right decisions when passing. The Rider MLB kept overrunning the play at IGF which is why Goltz had the room he had to run yesterday. Don't expect that to happen every game. Eventually teams will take away Goltz's running ability on first & 10 or second & long the longer he plays & runs the ball himself. Then he'll have to try to win the game with his arm which is what defenses will want him to do.

really? You think he's bad at reading defenses? I don't see that, I don't see a lot of bad decisions passing the ball out of him. Maybe it doesn't always work but that has a lot to do with some of the other issues on the team. I can think specifically of a ball that went straight through Edwards hands at a first down marker, I can think of a ball that bounced off Kohlerts chest close to a first down marker...  I think his limitations as a passer are somewhat overblown by some people. I think the overall package that Goltz brings is superior to Hall right now simply because opposing teams have to defend more aspects. No matter who goes in the passing game we have won't beat anyone, Goltz legs might open things up enough though to scratch out a win.

2 of 9 at halftime for 12 yards tells me that he can't read defenses. Those drops you speak of were made up later by a couple of circus catches by his receivers in the second half that never should have been completed.

that's ridiculous, every other qb gets the benefit of his receivers making unreal catches too why shouldn't Goltz be able to benefit from it as well? Those stats say nothing about how well he can or can't read a defense because there were the two drops I mentioned in there (seems to me that he put the ball where it needed to be there) Hell that one in the endzone to Denmark with a review might have stood as well changing the stats. You are reaching awfully hard to make Goltz sound like a worse passer than he actually is. He may not be the most consistent passer out there, but the entire package is the best that any of the current Bomber qbs have demonstrated. 

I stand by the fact I think Goltz is a terrible passer. I don't care if he can run. He's also getting into his mid to late 20's. If he hasn't learned proper mechanics by now he never will.  Guys that run have a short shelf life because they get injured. It'll be his brain, his arm & then his athleticism that determines how long he plays or even develops in the future.

I would like, however, to see the starter pulled if he is under 50 yards passing in the first half.

And if your team is up by __ points at the half, what then? 

If the starting QB has under 50 yards passing, I'd still pull him, because he'd be playing badly.  The score isn't always a good indicator of how well the QB is playing.

That's baloney.

2 of 9 with 3 drops tells you he can't read defences?

And on the other side of the ledger, when you put up the ball where the receiver has to you know, catch it...you consider it a circus catch.

Do you know how often a QB throws up the ball so that only the receiver can catch it? 

Have you not seen games in the last 2 weeks where this has happened often?

They get credit and Goltz gets none.

Typical of you.

I stand by the fact I think Goltz is a terrible passer. I don't care if he can run. He's also getting into his mid to late 20's. If he hasn't learned proper mechanics by now he never will.  Guys that run have a short shelf life because they get injured. It'll be his brain, his arm & then his athleticism that determines how long he plays or even develops in the future.

What's wrong with his mechanics?  He's a little slow on his reads (we don't appear to be doing much pre-snap), but he can make the throws from the pocket and on the move without having to wind-up.  He's been making better decisions the last couple weeks in terms of getting rid of the ball too, save for pushing too hard in the 4th quarter in Regina.  I'd like to see where he's at after half a season.

Now you're moving the goal posts a bit... you said he can't read defenses but now it's just that he's a terrible passer... What exactly makes Hall a good passer? What makes him so much better a passer that it negates the huge advantage Goltz brings with his ability to run? We're not talking about the difference between Ricky Ray and Nealon Greene here, we're talking about which qb benefits the Bombers more. 

I would like, however, to see the starter pulled if he is under 50 yards passing in the first half.

If the starting QB has under 50 yards passing, I'd still pull him, because he'd be playing badly.  The score isn't always a good indicator of how well the QB is playing.

This game is a perfect example of why you shouldn't do that automatically.

Both Gotlz and Durant had rough goings out there in the 1st half.

Should both have been pulled?

The 1st half stats were not owned by Goltz, therefore why would he pay for it?

Mistakes were made and not only by Goltz.

Exactly. Great point.

If the starting QB has under 50 yards passing, I'd still pull him, because he'd be playing badly. The score isn't always a good indicator of how well the QB is playing.

Exactly. Great point.

how is that a great point? under 50 passing but one interception and one fumble.. what if backup comes in and is forcing stuff or fumbles it away?

goltz had poor stats but won the game and managed it well.. your both wrong in my books and sticking with the starter was the wise

Well, I think Goltz is over-valued by some posters on here but we do need to stick with him for a bit just for the sake of giving him a chance to develop... the next two games should be telling.  If he can't move the ball against a team surrounded with utter chaos... then, well, maybe we don't need nine games to judge his performance...

I haven't seen Goltz put together a drive like Elliott yet, however, he does seem like a more talented Brink so that's good... 

I don't know anybody who is saying that Goltz is the answer.

But finally...we have a chance to make the evaluation to keep...or to pass.

He's not going to get Elliott-like numbers, for two reasons: He's tightly managed and he's not Elliott (who ignored the 1st reason)

I don't know anybody who is saying that Goltz is the answer.

But finally...we have a chance to make the evaluation to keep...or to pass.

I think all anyone is saying is that of the options we have available to us Goltz right now is the most multidimensional and provides the most options to the offense and the most for opposing defenses to worry about. 

For me personally I don't have enough faith in the receivers or the o-line or the gameplan to make enough plays even if Hall is a significantly better passer, at least with Goltz there's the chance he'll take off and get some first downs with his legs. 

Ev'rybody's talkin' 'bout

Goltz, Hall, Boltus, Brown, Pierce, Elliott

This-QB, that-QB, QB QB QB

All we are saying is give Goltz a chance

Ev'rybody's talkin' 'bout

Goltz, Hall, Boltus, Brown, Pierce, Elliott

This-QB, that-QB, QB QB QB

Would John Lennon approve of this post? ;)

So, expect the defense to play lights out for 4 quarters while your qb shits the bed?? Great strategy.

well... yea. And ST to bring one or two to as well.. im hoping not every game but its not unheard of before..

i think goltz can be a nealon greene type qb (minus brain farts i hope) move the ball with feet and manage a game.. if he starts to hit his targets, all the more awesome..