Kyle Walters

Mr. Perfect

So to recap, among his main moves to this point are the signing of Aaron Kelly and Greg Peach, both of whom have made impacts to varying degrees in their time here. He's taken a chance on Mike Sims-Walker, and he traded Buck Pierce, who was not going to be back, and managed to get a non import in the process.

The question I have is (And I'm not advocating we forgo a thorough search for a GM in the offseason) what would it take for you to want Kyle Walters be the official General Manager heading into next season?

He needs to pull the trigger on a deal to bring a QB in.

And make progress on fixing the OL.

Improve the line first .. and provide whomever you decide is "the next one" the best opportunity for success.   The two best friends of a young quarterback are the offensive line and a strong running game ..

He needs to pull the trigger on a deal to bring a QB in.

And make progress on fixing the OL.

But that chance might not come until the days leading up to the dispersal draft.  By which point we will have to had to make a decision on GM.  I don't think any of the contending teams (which is everybody except us and Edmonton) are going to give up their hot shot back ups in season. 

Wade needs to do his due dillegence from now until Grey Cup week.  Then he needs to interview a bunch of guys and weight the results of those interviews against what he thinks Walters has accomplished or what he might accomplish.  Then go from there.  I would hate to see this resolved without at least a search. 

I don't know that he could ever do enough in half a season to "prove" that he is the guy for the job.  As it stands, I like his initiative and we all know he is well-connected around the CIS and CFL.  I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him on, but I still would like to see an exhaustive search done.  If we can find a guy with successful GM experience or extensive AGM experience, that still might be a safer pick.  But is that guy out there, and willing to come here?  I guess we'll see.

I don't think there's anything he can do short of pulling off a great blockbuster trade for a prime time qb. Every GM of a losing team brings in guys who start making an impact, yes even Joe Mack did it for all you haters. When you're so far down as the Bombers were there's nowhere to go but up and I simply don't trust the "imrpovements" that come in the back end of a crappy season. 

I got nothing against Walters, but if he's the GM next year it's a total gamble and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Much rather see them do the complete process and turn over every stone looking for the absolute right guy. If it winds up being Walters after that search then so be it. 

As an unknown commodity, he is doing the right thing by trying to put his stamp on the team.  Wade will know what Walters is all about.  If the move was made tomorrow to make him official GM, I wouldn't be upset.

That might also impact the coaching staff.  Lawless reports that Wade and Walters both like Burke and want him to succeed.  The efforts Walters makes to improve the team this season will have a direct impact on whether Burke gets another chance with better talent.  Which ofcourse will determine the likelyhood of the other coaches staying on too.

I don't think there's anything he can do short of pulling off a great blockbuster trade for a prime time qb. Every GM of a losing team brings in guys who start making an impact, yes even Joe Mack did it for all you haters. When you're so far down as the Bombers were there's nowhere to go but up and I simply don't trust the "imrpovements" that come in the back end of a crappy season. 

I got nothing against Walters, but if he's the GM next year it's a total gamble and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Much rather see them do the complete process and turn over every stone looking for the absolute right guy. If it winds up being Walters after that search then so be it. 

This. All of it.

I have no complaints about what Walters has done thus far, however we should still do an exhaustive search for the best available GM in the post season. If it's him, great. Too many times we have taken the convenient way out of these things.  

Oh boy, this is a great question.  The answer I can assure you is not "work 18 hour days," at least if you're asking what he has to do for ME to want him as our GM next season.  But let's not flog that dead horse anymore.

Walters has made some in-roads, but he wouldn't be able to do enough IN-SEASON to warrant my selection.  There's just no incentive for the playoff teams to deal even surplus talent in-season for draft picks for a Poblah or Kohlert type.  The only way I see is if they suffer a key injury and need to acquire a quick fix from us.  So the Riders likely won't deal Chris Best, the Argos won't deal any of their surplus OL talent, and the Stamps likely won't deal any of their QB's until the end of the year. 

Walters will likely have some clock before the GM search is concluded and the guy hired, and he'll also have Wade Miller's ear for inside information.  If Walters can engage other CFL GM's towards pre-dispersal draft deals to be made at end of season; that would be in his favour.  If he has a clear-cut free agency plan with contingencies, that will be a key piece as well.  If he has done all the CFL Draft scouting and has a plan of attack ready, that too would help.  And if he does all of these things, and has a few of his in-season acquisitions pan out successfully and project well for the next 3-5 years; it might just be enough to win the job.

I like Walters, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and appears calm, cool, and collected.  My main concern is whether or not he's too green for the job, especially a rebuild of this magnitude.  He's got skin in the game though, and is making what appear to be some upside moves right now. I think he's doing the right things.  I'm interested to see how it plays out.

He's the interim GM.

I expect him to make moves to improve this club.

Nice, minor moves thus far.

He'll continue 'til the end of the year, then I want a full scale search for the best GM we can get.

In the meantime, please sign:

-a non-dwarf DB, who stays this time

-an O- lineman who can make a difference.

Also, I expect he is keeping track of all potential QBs currently on other rosters, someone who we could get...in the near future.

I don't necessarilly expect a trade in that regard but rather, a positioning and understanding of when, and whom, to pounce on.

This. All of it.

I have no complaints about what Walters has done thus far, however we should still do an exhaustive search for the best available GM in the post season. If it's him, great. Too many times we have taken the convenient way out of these things.  

Again, I don't think anybody's post, and the originating post says that we should forgo an exhaustive search. The question simply is, what does Walters need to do in one's opinion, to either garner serious consideration, or be hired as the full time G.M. next season after the due diligence of the ball club is completed.

Regarding the QB's, Walters just said at the Buck presser that for the duration of the season, we will finish with what we have at QB, and explore our options when the season is over at the position. He also has said that the team will continue to explore other trading avenues up until the deadline.

Pretty clear objective to me.

Take steps to fix the OL now, get the pieces ready for a QB to come in during the offseason.

Regarding the QB's, Walters just said at the Buck presser that for the duration of the season, we will finish with what we have at QB, and explore our options when the season is over at the position. He also has said that the team will continue to explore other trading avenues up until the deadline.

Pretty clear objective to me.

Take steps to fix the OL now, get the pieces ready for a QB to come in during the offseason.

That's the way to do it IMO. Continue to be very happy with Walters body of work, and what he has been saying in the media as well. Definitely look forward to what the guy can do going forward.

This. All of it.

Again, I don't think anybody's post, and the originating post says that we should forgo an exhaustive search. The question simply is, what does Walters need to do in one's opinion, to either garner serious consideration, or be hired as the full time G.M. next season after the due diligence of the ball club is completed.

And I did say in my post that there's really not much a guy can do taking over midway to convince me one way or the other. GMs really are judged by what they do in the offseason leading into a season. Every GM out there makes some good tweaks when a team is 1-a pile in the standings so just because there's a new receiver making some catches or whatever doesn't really mean a whole lot in the big picture. You want to know if the guy can prove himself with the remainder of this season? I just don't think he can unless he somehow gets us Ricky Ray. 

I think Walters is doing a good job, but I would not go overboard. He accepted (like over 90% of the posters here) that a talent upgrade was needed. Together with the scouting network in the US, he brought up a receiver that may be a good find, but has yet to demonstrate that. He no doubt talked with MB about former Hamilton players that could help, and came up with Peach, Kelly, and Boltus. He decided along with the rest of the organization that Buck was done, and either shopped him around, or fielded a call from BC and made the best deal he could. With all due respect, these are things I would have thought of, and I'm not even considered by other parents as capable of being the manager of my son's basketball team. For Walters to earn the job, he needs to demonstrate to the people on the inside who work with him on a daily basis (ie WM) that he is better than any alternative that comes up in the search. As mentioned, 2 things that would go a long way towards that would be to find someway to upgrade the NI talent on the oline, and to swing a deal at the end of the season for a QB before the Ottawa draft (the decision will for GM will likely be made before free agent QBs are available in Feb 2014). I worry that we are again putting the peter principle into action by taking someone who is good at a certain level of management, and raising them prematurely to a higher level that they may not be ready for or capable of, based on the fact that they are here, are familiar, and would take the job. 

Im slightly disappointed that he isn't pursuing a QB trade asap but I guess it is what it is.  One thing is for certain, we will know if Goltz and/or Hall are worth keeping.

I think that probably has moreso to do with teams like Sask, and Calgary and others not wanting to make a move in the middle of the season. If you make a trade then lose your starter the next week hypothetically, you're in a lot of trouble.

Was anything said about next week's starter?  Golts got the win but didnt look good.

My thought is, Hall started the 2nd Hamilton game because they wanted to see more, but he got hurt. Has Goltz done anything the past 2 weeks to say he is better than Hall, or deserves more of a look? I don't believe that he has.

Was anything said about next week's starter?  Golts got the win but didnt look good.

My thought is, Hall started the 2nd Hamilton game because they wanted to see more, but he got hurt. Has Goltz done anything the past 2 weeks to say he is better than Hall, or deserves more of a look? I don't believe that he has.

He's more mobile.  That's it.  If anything, he (Goltz) needs to use his legs more.