Canadian Politics

16 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Thanks Mark.   I just get a paywall unfortunately.

I clicked my link and it did the same thing, but solution.....

do a google search for "financial times solar power chile" and  for some reason, you get a link to the article, without the paywall.

Not sure why.

saying that all wind energy is a scam because Ontario has not succeeded with it, is simply not logical.

For every failed wind project, there are numerous successful wind projects. 

If it is a failure, (I don't know about that) All that means, is that the Ontario effort was poorly planned and executed.

It would be similar to picking out one  failed car company in 1910, and concluding that  the motor car will never succeed.

No doubt there were lots of people who said, and hoped for that in those days. saddle makers, farriers, horse breeders.

Texas is one of the American leaders in wind energy, and they do it cause the make money. No other reason. 

Texas loves wind power

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/20/texas-wind-energy-green-turbines-repbublicans-environment

Edited by Mark F

11 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It would be similar to picking out one  failed car company in 1910, and concluding that  the motor car will never succeed.

No doubt there were lots of people who said, and hoped for that in those days. saddle makers, farriers, horse breeders.

But not the guys shoveling poop on the streets.  

People need to stop thinking of wind or solar like they do the big power plants. They are smaller scale and should be seen as such. You won't build a wind farm and power entire provinces, but you can build some and generate some power so that you lessen the burden on other sources of energy. 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

People need to stop thinking of wind or solar like they do the big power plants. They are smaller scale and should be seen as such. You won't build a wind farm and power entire provinces, but you can build some and generate some power so that you lessen the burden on other sources of energy. 

Multiple sources are the key.  Oat straw pellets are an excellent energy source in rural areas.

10 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Multiple sources are the key.  Oat straw pellets are an excellent energy source in rural areas.

Yes I have long thought that if the country is really serious about lessening the carbon dioxide emissions we should transition away from the really centralized power grid. Put solar panels on every roof and let buildings generate as much of their own power as they can, then you don't need big coal or gas fired power stations. 

17 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah.  It's unfortunate that the PC's let their party get usurped by Doug Ford.  That was a major political boner.

Wing of the party that was "usurped" were the business as usual cucks that would have changed little in a province that needs to a lot to undo over a decade of lib left damage.

Ford isnt a dream candidate but his enemies are the exact people you want as enemies.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

saying that all wind energy is a scam because Ontario has not succeeded with it, is simply not logical.

For every failed wind project, there are numerous successful wind projects. 

If it is a failure, (I don't know about that) All that means, is that the Ontario effort was poorly planned and executed.

Texas is one of the American leaders in wind energy, and they do it cause the make money. No other reason. 

Texas loves wind power

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/20/texas-wind-energy-green-turbines-repbublicans-environment

define "successful" though.  Texas loves wind power, but also spends billions of dollars subsidizing it, with no real end in sight.  I don't call that success.  I call that welfare.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

this will be true when storage is built that can handle the power from wind farms.  The problem in Ontario and elsewhere is that wind power gets generated mostly when no one needs it.  And so causes more pain than it is worth.  It's not lessening the burden, it's creating an even bigger burden.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yes I have long thought that if the country is really serious about lessening the carbon dioxide emissions we should transition away from the really centralized power grid. Put solar panels on every roof and let buildings generate as much of their own power as they can, then you don't need big coal or gas fired power stations. 

what about the CO2 emissions from building all of those solar panels?  Do those just not count?  How long do those solar panels have to sit on your roof before you are net zero on emissions?

Ontario has the most expensive electricity in North America
The result of subsidized, over-priced wind power that Ontario doesn’t need.

2010 to October, 2015: Electricity rates increased 60-88%.
November 1, 2015: Rates increase another by 8.7%.
January 1, 2016: Rates increase by another 10%.
May 1, 2016: Rates increase by another 2.5 cents per kWh because “Ontario didn’t sell enough power over the winter”:
January 1, 2017: PST removed, decreasing bills by 8%.
January 1, 2017: Rate increases due to hidden Cap & Trade.
May, 2017: Hydro bills are reduced by 17%.
The reduction will be charged to taxpayers because “everyone benefits from electricity infrastructure, not just rate payers”.
May, 2017: Subsidies are offered to those with a low income. Subsidies will be charged to taxpayers.
June, 2017:  Hydro One announces annual increase of $171 to cover infrastructure upgrades.

http://www.windontario.ca/

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Another very effective way to heat barns and shops is burning sunflower seed shells.  Those suckers are dynamite for energy production.

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

what about the CO2 emissions from building all of those solar panels?  Do those just not count?  How long do those solar panels have to sit on your roof before you are net zero on emissions?

This seems to be a pretty good source with several answers to that question.  There are problems, but there are also solutions.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/solar/solar-energy-isnt-always-as-green-as-you-think

6 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

define "successful" though.  Texas loves wind power, but also spends billions of dollars subsidizing it, with no real end in sight.  I don't call that success.  I call that welfare.

subsidy for oil... here's an example.

Alberta has abandoned wells, estimated cost of dealing with them 8 billion dollars....

Alberta regulations say producing wells must be sold to cover environment cleanup costs for non-producing wells.

But in 2015, a small company called Redwater Energy went into receivership — and Alberta's court decided federal bankruptcy law trumps Alberta energy rules.

As a result of the case, oil companies have paid creditors while abandoning environmental cleanup to the Orphan Wells Association or the landowner who allowed the company to drill on their land.

and there's no requirement in Alberta to deal with an abandoned oil well within a certain period. invitation to a walk away.

anyway,  as I said earlier, new renewable is now cheaper, with no subsidy. See Chile link I mentioned earlier. No subsidy. Cheapest power. cheaper than all other sources of power.

I don't say I know a lot, cause I don't but I read about renewable energy every day. And everything I read including business sources like Bloomberg, or the financial times are of the view that the change  to renewable energy is unstoppable now.

Even those abandoned wells in Alberta, might be used as an energy source, by using them for groundsource heat. That's being experimneted on right now in a town in Alberta.

for storage, there are solutions. one for example is pumped hydro. pump up to a reservoir while wind blows, run down through turbines when it doesn't.

for concentrating solar, they are using molten salt. 

anyway, I can't see anyway it's not going to happen. 

China's doing it right now.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Another very effective way to heat barns and shops is burning sunflower seed shells.  Those suckers are dynamite for energy production.

ha ha that's awesome.  After a day on the tractor and constant Zote ingestion I probably could have heated a barn for a week.

11 hours ago, iHeart said:

Yeah, or a public shakedown of Ford by a disgruntled relative who wanted more money knowing she would get a free megaphone from media in her quest.

Edited by Zontar

22 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Canadas friendly marxists and election meddlers Leadnow found a willing partner. 

Whenever I see something like this just days before an election red flags go up. I don't like Doug Ford but this just reeks of a hatchet job. I think a lot of voters will as well. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27