Amber Alert

So the first ever Amber Alert in Manitoba was issued this evening. The child was safely located when a winnipegger saw the truck and called police. So it worked perfectly. 

Very interesting. I was watching a taped program on my DVR and it interrupted it to flash the Alert. And I received a text and email message. Very impressive communication. 

I assume the TV Alert interrupted all live programming too?  I was one Shaw but was it the same for MTS?

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Dont interrupt my tv. Don't text my phone. i aint looking for Amber Alert kids!

You do realize it was someone who received the Amber Alert that immediately saw the vehicle in question which led to the safe recovery of the child, right?  System worked like a charm. Hopefully you will never be help from anyone. 

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

I never got anything like this.  How did you guys get texts and emails?  Did you sign up somewhere or do they just spam certain people?

No signing up.  It was forced to my email and text (I assume).  Same with TV.  I hear it was pushed through MTS, SHAW, Bell, whether you were watching live TV or a recorded program on your PVR.  Where are you located, what service provider do you use?

I just went back and checked.  The email came as a Breaking News Alert from the Free Press.  So they'd have my email.  I assume if they dont have your email, they cannot email you.  The Text however appears to be a force text from my service provider (in this case MTS), I'd assume all service providers would be on board with doing this but wonder if the national carriers were.  Anyone get the text from Rogers or Telus?  The fact the TV message came through SHAW and Bell make me think everyone was on board.

Tremendous system.  And I wonder if it uses (or if this is how it would now be used) the Emergency Broadcast System.  Remember back in the day watching local cable, they'd do those occasional tests.  I havent seen that in forever since generally watching non-local and PVR.  If there was a zombie Apocalypse, would they communicate in the same way as the Amber Alert?  It was quite impressive.  I heard it surprised the police how fast the vehicle was identified.

I know when they first started doing this in states a lot of people were pissed off cause the first time it was 3 in the morning and for some people the alert noise was whatever they had set it for and some people like loud notification sounds. No doubt there is an option in the settings for on/off

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

I did not get anything as a Shaw TV customer and MTS cell phone customer. Although I don't think I was watching TV at the time.

That's probably why.  The TV does not come to life, rise up and seek you out. ;-)   I was watching a recorded program and the audio cut for a split second, screen went blank and before I could swear at the TV, a red screen appeared with the message.  Then it returned to live TV.  Text came moments later.  Email a few moments after that.  Im SHAW TV and MTS Cell.  I heard MTS TV and Bell TV also interrupted live and recorded programming.

26 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I know when they first started doing this in states a lot of people were pissed off cause the first time it was 3 in the morning and for some people the alert noise was whatever they had set it for and some people like loud notification sounds. No doubt there is an option in the settings for on/off

But they were awake, watching TV, no?  The volume wasnt impacted for me.  It was whatever my TV/sound system was already set to.  So if I was blasting the sound, then yes, the alert would be loud but it wouldnt anger me.  I set the volume after all.

The momentary invasiveness of it is really a small price to pay for a very impressive and worthy system.  And it worked like a charm.

47 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Must be an American thing.  Dont see Government Alerts on my phone.  Seems like a very American thing to do...lol but a good idea actually, especially the Presidential Alert.  When you hear that alert, you know your ass is in trouble.