US Politics

Rich

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

and the response to that would be - who should be on the supreme court?  I am not in favor of this guy for sure, but who do you want instead?

So you support pulling his nomination?  That's a great step towards healing.  Asking anyone here who they'd prefer as if the pint is "name someone better or accept him" is pointless.  Obama's pick was better simply because he wasnt seen as overly partisan.  But Trump has the right to pick someone that the Senate confirms.  Let him pick someone who doesnt have multiple allegations of sexual assault...hey, maybe that would set a precedent and the US wont pick a President with the same issue!

6 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

and the response to that would be - who should be on the supreme court?  I am not in favor of this guy for sure, but who do you want instead?

I don't know enough about judges who would be qualified for the position, but what I would like to see is the partisan bullshit cut out and these senators and congressmen doing their jobs in the best interests of the country and voters even if it's not in the best interest of their party. 

8 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it, but that "silly garbage" represents a significant number of people in the US.  My point, which seems to be lost in a sea of vitriol, is that you can either choose to listen, and understand their views, or you can call them :silly garbage".  Plan B is going to lead to another victorious 4 years for Trump.  Because these same people were feeling alienated and victimized in 2016.  Now that has racheted up 1000%.  I personally don't understand it myself.  Is there no way to communicate back and forth without using words like "silly garbage" to describe each others' views?

Rich comment coming from the guy who once **** on me and erroneously labelled me a SJW merely for having a different opinion. And in what universe is me saying a long-winded FB post is silly garbage misconstrued as a personal attack on other people or on your views? That's quite an obtuse reach.

One heavily biased letter from some "person" on social is not indicative or representative of anything, anyway. Misguided speculation and reaching are no way to create productive discourse.

39 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So you support pulling his nomination?  That's a great step towards healing.  Asking anyone here who they'd prefer as if the pint is "name someone better or accept him" is pointless.  Obama's pick was better simply because he wasnt seen as overly partisan.  But Trump has the right to pick someone that the Senate confirms.  Let him pick someone who doesnt have multiple allegations of sexual assault...hey, maybe that would set a precedent and the US wont pick a President with the same issue!

LOL - I am not on any side, so you don't need any healing from me.  I just see the constant vitriol here, and I hear the other side, and the entrenchment of both sides just says to me that there doesn't seem to be any happy medium.  And that's depressing.

27 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Rich comment coming from the guy who once **** on me and erroneously labelled me a SJW merely for having a different opinion. And in what universe is me saying a long-winded FB post is silly garbage misconstrued as a personal attack on other people or on your views? That's quite an obtuse reach.

One heavily biased letter from some "person" on social is not indicative or representative of anything, anyway. Misguided speculation and reaching are no way to create productive discourse.

Ok - so fair enough.  It's obvious that any sort of "middle ground" attempt at showing how the other side is feeling isn't appreciated.  I already knew that.  As for obtuse reaches, I think a lot of people are guilty of that.  Continue calling peoples' views "silly garbage" all you want.  It will be a long six years unfortunately for those who hate Trump.

36 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't know enough about judges who would be qualified for the position, but what I would like to see is the partisan bullshit cut out and these senators and congressmen doing their jobs in the best interests of the country and voters even if it's not in the best interest of their party. 

amen!

57 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Ok - so fair enough.  It's obvious that any sort of "middle ground" attempt at showing how the other side is feeling isn't appreciated.  I already knew that.  As for obtuse reaches, I think a lot of people are guilty of that.  Continue calling peoples' views "silly garbage" all you want.  It will be a long six years unfortunately for those who hate Trump.

Try reading what is actually posted and then formulate a proper and thoughtful response, instead of going on the defensive.

What's fair enough? You've addressed nothing and resorted to deflection. No attempt whatsoever at finding "middle ground," much less engaging to discuss anything in a productive manner. And once again, more misconstruing of what was actually stated.

For the second time, I didn't call yours or anyone else's views silly garbage. I commented that the useless FB post you felt compelled to share here is silly garbage. And here's why: it accomplishes absolutely nothing as far as actual meaningful discourse goes. Moreover, if you already knew that, why post it? It's literally no different than if someone posted a hard left-biased "letter" rife with inconsistencies being shared on social media. All it does is spread misinformation, fuel the raging fires of ignorance, and take up space.

Edited by blue_gold_84

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

That fb post isn't middle ground though, it's partisan drivel. We already know that ignorant ******* love trump and his obvious bs and hate libruls. Doesn't make them right.

3 minutes ago, bustamente said:

We all have a past not all of us are choir boys, but when your being considered for a position on the SCOTUS you can't have these types of skeletons in your closet.

Yup and even though I've been on the receiving end of some posts from people for being a "lefty" (even though Im not), I posed the serious question as to whether Kav should, to a degree, get a pass if indeed this is true but he's done nothing of the sort since.   I think its fair to say he should not be on the SCOTUS (and really, he shouldnt be for reasons other than these allegations).

I also suggested, had he come forward to apologize, he might have survived and might already have been confirmed.    The fact he is taking the approach that it never happened, its all lies, he wasnt even there etc, makes it about proving one side over the other.   Reportedly, he will admit to the Senate that he was "not perfect".  Akin to that suggested early apology.

I think he's toast.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That fb post isn't middle ground though, it's partisan drivel. We already know that ignorant ******* love trump and his obvious bs and hate libruls. Doesn't make them right.

yes, it may be partisan drivel, but if over 60 million Americans (probably more) feel that same way, how do you change their minds?  

Edited by kelownabomberfan

31 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

All it does is spread misinformation, fuel the raging fires of ignorance, and take up space.

So I've posed this question to others on other forums when they dismiss the people who are probably going to re-elect Trump in two years, as "ignorant".  Do you honestly feel that it's only ignorance that is driving this?  Is there no other reason?

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Forty-five percent of Americans now have a favorable view of the Republican Party, a nine-point gain from last September's 36%. It is the party's most positive image since it registered 47% in January 2011, shortly after taking control of the House in the 2010 midterm elections. Forty-four percent give the Democratic Party a favorable rating.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/242906/republican-party-favorability-highest-seven-years.aspx

40 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, it may be partisan drivel, but if over 60 million Americans (probably more) feel that same way, how do you change their minds?  

You can't change their minds because they are being willfully ignorant and take pride in that stupidity. What you do is pity them and then ignore them. There is no objective metric out there that shows trump doing anything positive, they want to elect him again (they won't) they are getting what they deserve and the United states becomes much less significant on the world stage and these idiots will keep bleating about Obama and Hillary's buttery males oblivious to the fact that it was their own ignorance that led them to this point.

Edited by 17to85

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

they want to elect him again (they won't) 

ok - I want to believe you for sure.  It's just so polarized.  I was just on a cruise ship for 9 days and the only US channels we had were Fox News and MSNBC.  Flicking between the two, it was amazing to see the spin both were putting on the same issue.  Trump was either the greatest president who ever lived, or Hitler, Pol Pot and Mao all rolled up into one.  There just doesn't seem to be any middle ground any more.  Each side thinks the other is stupid, ignorant etc. and I don't see that changing.  And that's sad to me.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Trump was either the greatest president who ever lived, or Hitler, Pol Pot and Mao all rolled up into one. 

I would love to see the MSNBC coverage that made Trump out to be worse than Hitler. That would be something to behold. 

I did see Fox News edit Trump's speech to the UN yesterday to not show the part where the world leaders laughed at him. That was in keeping with state media mantra. 

He didnt even really win the last election.  lol

Although his intelligent targeting of voters in an effort to gain strategic ground on the electoral college was impressive (not his, but his people).  I cant imagine him winning again, but you never know.

The issue isnt ALL his supporters because a lot of people who vote or at least answer polling questions on the phone arent overly knowledgeable.  We all know people around election time that literally have no clue.  The issue is that surprisingly large amount of people that fall into "White nationalist subtle racist" and "out and out proud to be a hater racist".  Those are the ignorant people that were generally held in check by community standards which are not the norm anymore.

You also have a percentage that will vote Republican no matter what.  Trump could literally murder a black child while shouting the N word and a segment of the right would vote for him because they would hold their nose and consider it better than voting Dems.  The same is true of a segment of left voters.  

The fact there is ample evidence the President is a criminal, has committed numerous acts of sexual assault/harrassment, is laughed at on the world stage etc etc should be enough for the "right" to want him gone and replaced with someone qualified.  But they'd rather win, no matter what.  The same might be true of the left but since the Dems have not elected someone like Trump, we can't be sure.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You also have a percentage that will vote Republican no matter what.  Trump could literally murder a black child while shouting the N word and a segment of the right would vote for him because they would hold their nose and consider it better than voting Dems.

Let's be totally honest, there's a segment that would love him more if he did that.

Trump's base is the people who support the KKK

47 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So I've posed this question to others on other forums when they dismiss the people who are probably going to re-elect Trump in two years, as "ignorant".  Do you honestly feel that it's only ignorance that is driving this?  Is there no other reason?

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Forty-five percent of Americans now have a favorable view of the Republican Party, a nine-point gain from last September's 36%. It is the party's most positive image since it registered 47% in January 2011, shortly after taking control of the House in the 2010 midterm elections. Forty-four percent give the Democratic Party a favorable rating.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/242906/republican-party-favorability-highest-seven-years.aspx

I think this table is worth posting. 

Look at that middle-income gain for Republicans. Incredible. 

Of course, when the crash comes, they will be the hardest hit. They're probably quite happy with the bubble now. 

Republican Party Gains Ground Among Those With Republican Views
Percent with favorable view of each party, September 2017 and September 2018
  Republican Party Democratic Party
  Sep 2017 Sep 2018 Sep 2017 Sep 2018
  % % % %
All adults 36 45 44 44
Party ID  
Republicans plus leaners 67 85 13 11
Democrats plus leaners 10 10 80 80
Women 35 40 49 48
Annual Household Income  
Less than $30,000 34 40 46 51