US Politics

Rich

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And as I just read online, her lawyers said they paid for it.  I imagine its fairly standard as part of your over-all legal fee arrangement.  She'd be billed for it.  OR, it was due diligence on the part of the law firm to test her credibility.  Many lawyers have done that.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but isnt the choice of SCOTUS nominee meant to be confirmed by Senate as a check on the power of the President?  So this idea that Trump can pick anyone he wants and the Dems are evil for not just going along with it rings hollow.  The whole point of selecting someone that is agreeable to the majority of the Senate is to avoid appointing a radical or someone of undeserving character.  You dont get your pick guaranteed.  

And if the GOP felt that way, they broke their own rules by blocking Obama's pick.

They're doing it pro-bono. I laughed when I read that! Silly Senators, they should know the answers to the questions before they ask. 

Just now, JCon said:

They're doing it pro-bono. I laughed when I read that! Silly Senators, they should know the answers to the questions before they ask. 

Especially that prosecutor.  Im surprised she didnt look at that question and tell the Senators it literally didnt matter and would be transparent.  I havent seen the actual video of the questioning but from reading about it, reports are Trump is upset she didnt go after Dr Ford harder and people seem to think the prosecutor realized pretty quick she had a credible truthful witness and the whole thing was a sham.  She read the questions, even the stupid ones.

Anyone watching that can detail the conduct of the prosecutor?

2 minutes ago, do or die said:

With my crystal ball.......no matter what Kavanaugh says this afternoon, or how he comes across.....

You are going to get a lot of "Facts vs Emotion" from the Republicans..

Just a hunch...

Yup.  They will say "no evidence, no corroboration". They will pretend the other allegations didnt happen.  They will say there is no time for an investigation.  And the crux of my issue with that is, there IS plenty of time.  They refused to hear Obama's nominee for a made up reason.  There is no magic drop dead date for confirming Kav.  They think they might lose the Senate, thats the problem.  So be it.  If Kav was a good pick, it wouldnt matter...the Senate is supposed to work together to confirm a qualified candidate.

My big problem is, this isnt like any other job.  Even a cabinet position where they could confirm him and if further evidence came forward later, they could fire him.  He gets this seat for life.  What happens if more people come forward and sue him or file criminal charges while he's on the SCOTUS??

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup.  They will say "no evidence, no corroboration". They will pretend the other allegations didnt happen.  They will say there is no time for an investigation.  And the crux of my issue with that is, there IS plenty of time.  They refused to hear Obama's nominee for a made up reason.  There is no magic drop dead date for confirming Kav.  They think they might lose the Senate, thats the problem.  So be it.  If Kav was a good pick, it wouldnt matter...the Senate is supposed to work together to confirm a qualified candidate.

My big problem is, this isnt like any other job.  Even a cabinet position where they could confirm him and if further evidence came forward later, they could fire him.  He gets this seat for life.  What happens if more people come forward and sue him or file criminal charges while he's on the SCOTUS??

Well, you could end up taking it all the way to the Supreme Court, where he can then rule against it........

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

great point. He’s showing he is not impartial at all. 

Impartial?  This guy came though the Republican internal vetting.... because he was seen as the most likely candidate to uphold the concept of Executive Privilege, in the high court, where and when required.  That got him the green light from Trump.