US Politics

Rich

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Senate is national.

but.....well it's just that I never heard that McCain retired, I know he has been sick for awhile (sick enough to not vote on the tax bill) oh wait is Flake currently sitting in his seat as some kind of deputy senator or something

4 minutes ago, iHeart said:

oh I had no idea so one from each party I'm assuming?

2 Senators from whatever parties get elected.  So you can have two Republicans.  Arizona right now has McCain and Flake, both Republican.

Im not what states might have one of each.  I think states usually go down party lines so a Republican leaning state likely elects two Republicans and vice versa.  But I dont know for sure.

Just checked.  Alabama has one of each (as Doug Jones beat Roy Moore).  Colorado has one of each  Florida.  Indiana.  Missouri.  Montana.  Nevada.  North Dakota.  Ohio.  Penns.  West Virgina.  Wisconsin.   The rest have an dependent or are same party shared.

The senator in each state with the most tenure is called the Senior Senator and the other one is the Junior Senator.

Trump aired his negotiation session with Republicans and Dems over DACA and the Wall, clearly to establish that he is a "very stable genius".  I didnt watch the whole thing, just clips and the analysis on news shows.  But he seems to have goofed.  It reenforced what everyone says about him, that he is easily swayed and generally just goes with the opinion he hears last. 

The whole idea was he would not support DACA unless Dems agreed to fund the Wall.  Then he openly agrees with Dems that he will do DACA first, get it done and then discuss the Wall.  So a horrified Republican chimes in to "clarify" what Trump meant that DACA had to have The Wall funding and Trump's like yeah, sure.  And then flip flops again.

He clearly had little idea what anyone was talking about and his own people were trying to manipulate his thought back to the direction they wanted.

The other big news is the Dem who released a transcript of Fusion GPS CEO's testimony before Congress.  Clearly establishes the Steel Dossier as legitimate research and not a Democratic conspiracy.  Steel went to the FBI out of genuine concern that Trump was being blackmailed and the Russians were hacking the election.  FBI told him "yeah, we have someone on the INSIDE of the Trump campaign cooperating and we already know this".  Hmmm...

Plus, its stated that the fact Trump was mobbed up in Russia was common knowledge there and required little digging to connect him.  That seems to confirm what Trump's own guy, Bannon, found out when he did Opposition Research on Trump in 2015.  Trump stinks!

This guy is really stupid

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/politics/president-donald-trump-fisa/index.html

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump's sunrise tweet casting aspersions on the domestic surveillance program his own intelligence officials have called essential set off a thunderclap of concern in Washington -- and underscored the pitfalls of the President's morning television tweet-alongs.

Phones at the White House began ringing almost immediately after Trump wrote at 7:33 a.m. ET that the FISA program up for reauthorization in the House on Thursday may have been used to "badly surveil" his campaign.

On the blinking lines: Republican lawmakers and top intelligence officials perplexed that Trump had appeared to contradict more than a week of public statements from the administration in support of the reauthorization, which allows the government to conduct warrantless spying on US soil.

When he sent his early morning message on Thursday, he quoted directly a banner graphic that had appeared on Fox News minutes earlier: "House votes on controversial FISA ACT today."
The headline was punctuated by a direct-to-camera appeal by the conservative judge Andrew Napolitano against re-upping the surveillance program.
"Mr. President, this is not the way to go," he said at 6:47 a.m. ET. "Spying is valid to find the foreign agents among us. But it's got to be based on suspicion, and not an area code."

Basically whomever speaks to him last (even through the TV) is his position.  There really is something wrong with him. 

Trump says no to bipartisan DACA deal.  Which is weird because Im sure it was just two days ago that he pledged to sign anything they put in front of him...
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/politics/daca-deal-obstacles-flake-white-house/index.html

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump rejected a pitch Thursday from a bipartisan team of senators on a compromise immigration deal to protect "Dreamers" while increasing border security.

Democratic Sen. **** Durbin and Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham met with Trump to discuss a compromise plan from a small group of six senators, but were rebuffed and told to keep working, Durbin said.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Trump says no to bipartisan DACA deal.  Which is weird because Im sure it was just two days ago that he pledged to sign anything they put in front of him...

it's getting more obvious by the day that 1. he's not all there.

Which, combined with, 2. being  exceptionally ignorant, and 3. thinking you are infallible, 4. having let go anyone who doubts 2 and 3, .....

Pretty sure this won't work out very well.

Edited by Mark F

"Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?" Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met yesterday.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

President Trump spent his Thursday night phoning aides, allies and friends, asking them how they thought the “shithole” remark was playing out in the press.

One White House official referred to this as a “victory lap.”

"You've seen the comments in the press. I've not read one of them that's inaccurate. To no surprise, the President started tweeting this morning, denying that he used those words. It is not true. he said these hate-filled things, and he said them repeatedly," Durbin said

Above from CNN stories

If he mentioned El Salvador, it is a horrible place, same with Honduras, largely due to USA financing, supporting, and propping up genocidal dicatatorial regimes.

from my college years, I remember the slogan 

" US.... out of El Salvador".

same throughout any place in central, and South America. 

chance he knows that is zero.

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

If he mentioned El Salvador, it is a horrible place, same with Honduras, largely due to USA financing, supporting, and propping up genocidal dicatatorial regimes.

from my college years, I remember the slogan 

" US.... out of El Salvador".

same throughout any place in central, and South America. 

chance he knows that is zero.

The fact he preferred immigrants from Norway cements his sentiment as clearly racist.  It also reinforces the notion that he might be suffering some mental health issues and takes on the position of the last person he spoke with.  In this case, he met with the PM of Norway and decided he liked them.

I used to think the idea that he might have dementia or something was just criticism.  "oh he's nuts" sort of thing.  But if you really follow how he speaks, what he says etc, Im no doctor, but there's something missing.

I did see two doctors on CNN debate this issue.  One said that you can find evidence of dementia by examine a person's speech patterns years ago and comparing it to today and in his opinion there are clear signs.  The other doctor who was arguing against this agreed Trump should be removed but because he's just an ignorant jackass.  lol