World Cup of Hockey

Ducky

We're the Soviets late 70's to mid 80's era, Canada is too dominant for these international tournaments right now, it's getting boring. THey should hold this again when Crosby and the like are nearing the end of their career. Check that, then they'll have to deal with McDavid ... ;)

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

We're the Soviets late 70's to mid 80's era, Canada is too dominant for these international tournaments right now, it's getting boring. THey should hold this again when Crosby and the like are nearing the end of their career. Check that, then they'll have to deal with McDavid ... ;)

Canada won the Canada Cup in 76 & 84. Don't those qualify as late 70's to mid 80's?

19 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Canada won the Canada Cup in 76 & 84. Don't those qualify as late 70's to mid 80's?

Yes, and the Soviets sent their best players to the Olympics, while the Canadians didn't.

The Soviets were good but not better, top-down, than the Canadians.

Edited by JCon

I often wonder how the 1972 Soviet team would fare against this year's Canada's World Cup team or the last Olympic one. I think we'd sweep the Soviets in 5....Or 6-2 as that series in 72  was an 8 game series. The biggest problem for Team Canada back then 44 years ago was conditioning. They didn't train in the off season like the NHL players of today do & Team Canada needed the first 5 games just to get in shape... Once they did they won 3 straight to win the series.

5 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I often wonder how the 1972 Soviet team would fare against this year's Canada's World Cup team or the last Olympic one. I think we'd sweep the Soviets in 5....Or 6-2 as that series in 72  was an 8 game series. The biggest problem for Team Canada back then 44 years ago was conditioning. They didn't train in the off season like the NHL players of today do & Team Canada needed the first 5 games just to get in shape... Once they did they won 3 straight to win the series.

also helped that Bobby Clarke broke their best player's ankle too.  But that's just hockey, at least it was back in those days.... :)

Always love to watch this speech by Espo - especially to the bozo fans in Vancouver who were booing him.  Vancouver fans - just the worst.

6 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Having Hull and Orr on the team would have helped too.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

also helped that Bobby Clarke broke their best player's ankle too.  But that's just hockey, at least it was back in those days.... :)

Always love to watch this speech by Espo - especially to the bozo fans in Vancouver who were booing him.  Vancouver fans - just the worst.

Everybody thought we'd go 8-0. When we didn't the fans & media got surly. You could see that Esposito was at the point where he justifiably wanted to say "Eff You to Canadians" & just go back to the Bruins training camp. Two weeks later Espo was a hero.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Having Hull and Orr on the team would have helped too.

Absolutely. Hull was the best left winger power forward in the world at the time. Of course Orr was the best hockey player in the world as well but had major knee issues. It was Alan Eagleson's  decision to not allow Hull to play as he was cozy with NHL owners & President Clarence Campbell.

3 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Apparently we won this thing ... yippie ... I missed it, too busy watching the Jets game ;)

Not sure if we won or EU focked up big time at the end.

Looks like Maurice be coaching Friday maybe? Laine vs Poolparty but only on TSN GO:(

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Yeah, my interest in the World Cup died when North America was eliminated.  Haven't watched a game since.

The tournament really should have ended before training camp starts.  Been more interested in the Jets preseason.  Also been worried that Maurice will have missed a good part of TC.  You want your coach to set the tone for the season, especially with all the younger players we have.