Edmonton @ Calgary/ Toronto @ Hamilton

Mr Dee

?‍?This should be a very good game between two motivated teams. Don't forget, Edmonton beat them 3 times last year and Calgary no no like that.?

CFL.ca Staff

Edm vs Calg
The Stamps roll into Labour Day winners of six in a row and the undisputed best team during the first half of the 2016 CFL season, while the Esks seem to have sorted themselves out en route to their current three-game winning streak.

One of the main objectives for Edmonton’s improved defence this Monday will be creating penetration on Stamps quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell.

Calgary’s surrendered a league-low 10 sacks and turned the ball over just 12 times this season — also a league-low figure.

Offensively the Eskimos will be faced with the league’s best statistical defence in Calgary; the Stamps have allowed the fewest points (185) in the CFL while forcing the most fumbles (14) and creating the most pass knockdowns (38) in the league.

Calgary’s offensive line — one of its biggest strengths in the first half — will be without centre Pierre Lavertu. Spencer Wilson will move over to centre, with rookie Ucambre Williams sliding onto the line at right tackle.

While receiver Joe West appeared ready to make his return from the Stamps’ injured list, Dickenson and his staff opted to stick with Davaris Daniels.
The rookie out of Notre Dame hauled in 108 receiving yards and a touchdown in Calgary’s win over Hamilton last week.

Toronto @ Hamilton

Both teams are 4-5
Both enter Monday night’s marquee matchup off losses; Hamilton’s last outing ending in a narrow 30-24 defeat in Calgary, Toronto’s a 16-13 home loss to BC on a last-second field goal.

first game should be good.... high scoring maybe. (my saying that means it will be low score snoozefest)

eskimo radio online 

http://player.630ched.com/#/

had a good interview with the president of eskimoes. Impressive man .

He mentioned that the CFL schedule is badly put together... two teams had five straight away games. said they will be fixing that. B.C. and Hamilton I think. wow that's bad for business.

Not afraid to criticize the league head office.

Edited by Mark F
edit

Just an aside but referring to the Stamps jerseys today. They were introduced 2 years ago & some people complained that the 2 guns crossed on the shoulder pads actually glorified gun violence. Political correctness at its worst. Glad the Stamps stood their ground, didn't cave & change them.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

He mentioned that the CFL schedule is badly put together... two teams had five straight away games. said they will be fixing that. B.C. and Hamilton I think. wow that's bad for business.

No teams have 5 road games in a row this season. Edmonton has 4 road games in a row with a bye week in the middle. Hamilton had 4 in a row with no bye week.

10 minutes ago, Mark F said:

okay, sure  your'e right. It's still not very good is it?

I checked all the schedules because that didn't sound right. The Argos had schedules with 4 and 5 road games in a row for years. BC and the Bombers had 3 road games in a row with a bye week in the mix this season. It isn't good but it happens.

Edited by Jacquie

?‍?The TSN crew mentioned it is Messam's 100th game in the CFL and it looks like he finally found 'a home'. According to Messam himself, he's mostly to blame for not being ready to have a permanent home before.

Messam
Messam signed as a free agent with the BC Lions and was used sparingly — just 23 carries in 17 games — during his rookie season.

In training camp the following season, the Leos traded him to Edmonton for the low, low price of a fifth-round draft choice. Besides the lack of production on the field, there were some off-field incidents.

Messam admits his attitude was an issue.

“Immaturity and feeling like I was a know-it-all,” is how he puts it. “I was thinking that I’ve made it and now that I’m here, that I can rest. Then I realized that when you think you’ve made it, that’s when you have to turn it on and push to get even better.”

That improvement happened in 2011 with the Eskimos as the big man rumbled for 1,057 yards and was named the league’s top Canadian. But then came another huge, axle-smashing pothole.
“I got hurt in 2011 and it kind of put me in a bad headspace,” he says. “And then, trying to recover from the injury, I just wasn’t myself for the next two seasons. Going into Montreal (in 2013), I wasn’t really healthy, I was kind of fighting through it and just going through the motions.”

After one season in Montreal, the Alouettes decided to go in a different direction at tailback and released Messam.
Read the article: 

http://www.stampeders.com/2016/09/01/jerome-took-long-way-to-100/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Just an aside but referring to the Stamps jerseys today. They were introduced 2 years ago & some people complained that the 2 guns crossed on the shoulder pads actually glorified gun violence. Political correctness at its worst. Glad the Stamps stood their ground, didn't cave & change them.

What does the image of guns have to do with Calgary?  Pioneers wearing pistols on their hips never happened except maybe at the Stampede. 

Of course Edmonton probably never had an Eskimo population either...

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What does the image of guns have to do with Calgary?  Pioneers wearing pistols on their hips never happened except maybe at the Stampede. 

The West. Cowboys. People wore guns a hundred & thirty years ago.

Edited by iso_55

2 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

The West. Cowboys. People wore guns a hundred years ago.

Not in Canada, they didn't.  Sure farmers and ranchers probably had rifles but the NWMP didn't allow them to walk around with them just so they could shoot people when drunk.  We were a British colony and governed as such, not an extension of the U.S.