Willy for Durant?

Im not convinced Willy's going to make $411 this year. He may not make his play-time bonuses. I suspect that it's structured in a way linked to play time/performance.

"Then, according to sources, Willy's salary will rocket to $410,000 in 2016 and to $450,000 in 2017 if he meets his play-time bonuses." 

On this topic, I'm curious where Nichols contract tops out, with max playing time bonuses and stats bonuses, etc....because Tait mentioned in a piece over the weekend that there is a bit of a cap crunch for the Bombers if Nichols earns everything he's got in the contract...

47 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We won't be trading Willy this year. No one wants him at $411K, let alone give us a good player and take on his salary. We'll likely hold on to him for the rest of the season then ask him to take a pay cut to less than half what he's currently making. I'd rather sign Franklin and let Willy go, but I doubt management will see it that way.

I wouldn't be so sure.

10 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Franklin is just putting time in Edmonton till he is free to go to the Riders. 

Why would he want to go to the dumpster fire that is the Riders if he can make as much money and have as good a shot at starting elsewhere?

1 hour ago, SteMar_67 said:

Im not convinced Willy's going to make $411 this year. He may not make his play-time bonuses. I suspect that it's structured in a way linked to play time/performance.

"Then, according to sources, Willy's salary will rocket to $410,000 in 2016 and to $450,000 in 2017 if he meets his play-time bonuses." 

Do we know the structure of the contracts? If both Willy and Nichols have play time bonuses,  only one will get the playing time.

5 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Do we know the structure of the contracts? If both Willy and Nichols have play time bonuses,  only one will get the playing time.

Haven't seen a breakdown anywhere. I would think the media reports the max a starting QB can make (to inflate the number), assuming he starts. I would also assume they report a backup QB salary as the max he can make assuming he doesn't start.

I'm sure the salary structure of our QBs will be a question asked to KW by media at some point.

It would be interesting for sure to find out, but honestly I don't care how much they make. I wouldn't mind being the most expensive team (with a fine for going over the salary cap) to win the Grey Cup. :)

I think it was last week that Walters was on H&L and Lawless asked him about the QB salaries. 

Walters said it isn't something O'Shea would worry about in choosing his players. It is something that he monitors and would report to Wade on if it became an issue. 

Sounded like it isn't an issue yet but could be down the road. 

Nichols has a bonus that kicks in at 6 starts. It is reported to be worth $100000. Willy's contract is incentive based. He is not garanteed the $410000 if he does not reach the requirements of those incentives. 

I will go on a limb and speculate that Willy's bonuses are based on games played(not necessarily games started)...thus the reason we have not seen him finish any of the blow out games. Has anyone seen him in any short yardage situations? I have not.

As long as Willy's insentives don't kick in this year then the cap should not be in jeopardy. I am also guessing Willy's $410000 contract contains a minimum of $100000 in incentives.

On 21/08/2016 at 1:08 PM, Nolby said:

With Harris named as the starter, I think Burris ends up back in Regina for Durant in Ottawa....you heard it here first.

I would love to see that trade happen just to watch Rider fans' heads explode. B)

Edited by Jacquie

28 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

Nichols has a bonus that kicks in at 6 starts. It is reported to be worth $100000. Willy's contract is incentive based. He is not garanteed the $410000 if he does not reach the requirements of those incentives. 

I will go on a limb and speculate that Willy's bonuses are based on games played(not necessarily games started)...thus the reason we have not seen him finish any of the blow out games. Has anyone seen him in any short yardage situations? I have not.

As long as Willy's insentives don't kick in this year then the cap should not be in jeopardy. I am also guessing Willy's $410000 contract contains a minimum of $100000 in incentives.

This is the first time I've read the bolded part. Do you have a source? IIRC Willy's first contract was incentive based and his second was more guaranteed/less bonuses.

A couple of weeks back Brown was talking on the radio about Willy having a $22K game check, which would mean $396K over 18 games and 15K of bonuses. How much of that was paid out at the beginning of TC and how much is playing bonus wasn't discussed. 

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

This is the first time I've read the bolded part. Do you have a source? IIRC Willy's first contract was incentive based and his second was more guaranteed/less bonuses.

A couple of weeks back Brown was talking on the radio about Willy having a $22K game check, which would mean $396K over 18 games and 15K of bonuses. How much of that was paid out at the beginning of TC and how much is playing bonus wasn't discussed. 

See this post below. The bolded part is from a Penton article.

2 hours ago, SteMar_67 said:

Edited by Jacquie

5 hours ago, Mike said:

I find these to be interesting comments from someone who has a QB in the family.

It's an opinion. That's all. A feeling Willy will never get it back. He's been pummelled & severely injured. No one can go through that without being affected. We all saw how he played when he had time to throw this season. He was releasing the football early rushing his throws. Throwing off his back foot. He didn't TRUST his eyes & what he was seeing. It's going to be extremely hard for Drew to get his confidence back.

Edited by iso_55

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I just reread that article. It doesn't say how much of the salary is bonuses nor does it say that the contract is bonus laden. 

It does say "if he reaches play-time bonuses" he will make $410 for 2016. I would suggest he won't make FULL play time-bonuses. Not sure how much that is, but it may not make him so undesirable to keep or trade. 

Edited by SteMar_67

18 minutes ago, SteMar_67 said:

It does say "if he reaches play-time bonuses" he will make $410 for 2016. I would suggest he won't make FULL play time-bonuses. Not sure how much that is, but it may not make him so undesirable to keep or trade. 

Agreed, but full playing time bonuses could be anything from $100 per game to $100K if he starts more than X games or anywhere in between. I expect that at least some of his bonus money would have been paid out at the start of the season. 

Ed Tait http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/08/20/209750/ says: "Drew Willy has been a pro since Nichols grabbed the No. 1 QB chores from him, but the move – as inspired as it has been for the team – also creates a potential salary-cap squeeze for the Bombers. The club is paying Willy a QB1 rate, while Nichols has some bonuses in his contract that will max out if he keeps playing." - IMO that means that Nichols has more bonus money in his contract than Willy does, which would make sense as Nichols was the backup QB when he signed his contract and Willy was the undisputed starter.

I still say that Willy's contract size plus how he's played this year makes him untradeable. 

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Agreed, but full playing time bonuses could be anything from $100 per game to $100K if he starts more than X games or anywhere in between. I expect that at least some of his bonus money would have been paid out at the start of the season. 

Ed Tait http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/08/20/209750/ says: "Drew Willy has been a pro since Nichols grabbed the No. 1 QB chores from him, but the move – as inspired as it has been for the team – also creates a potential salary-cap squeeze for the Bombers. The club is paying Willy a QB1 rate, while Nichols has some bonuses in his contract that will max out if he keeps playing." - IMO that means that Nichols has more bonus money in his contract than Willy does, which would make sense as Nichols was the backup QB when he signed his contract and Willy was the undisputed starter.

Agreed, No question the budget for Nichols increases now that he's playing. Also, no doubt that they would have thought that if Nichols was playing, then Willy would be on injured list.  The key here is the word "potential"

I still say that Willy's contract size plus how he's played this year makes him untradeable. 

Possibly. Tough to say without details of contract...I'm sure it will come out soon enough if there is a cap issue. It may also be one of those bonuses paid in February type deals that see a release in the spring. I do believe K.W. would have his bases covered. In that case Montreal may want him :)

25 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I may be wrong, but i believe most veteran back ups have clauses like that, start x number of games and you get paid closer to starters money. I imagine he is a few weeks away from hitting that mark. Its hard to say what our cap space is like right now, we have a bunch of guys on IR. I bet denmark didnt come back to elite wr money. (100k range maybe?)

He hits that mark I think we are looking to ship willy. Question is would we have takers on him.

I firmly believe willy has upside that nichols doesnt. I dont know that he has the ability to full fill that potential atleast not here. I fear a trade of hank for willy. Durant for willy? No chance. Id take it though. I dont see any reason sask would do that deal. 

What about glenn for willy? I think thats more interesting as its a bit more probable. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I may be wrong, but i believe most veteran back ups have clauses like that, start x number of games and you get paid closer to starters money. I imagine he is a few weeks away from hitting that mark. Its hard to say what our cap space is like right now, we have a bunch of guys on IR. I bet denmark didnt come back to elite wr money. (100k range maybe?)

He hits that mark I think we are looking to ship willy. Question is would we have takers on him.

I firmly believe willy has upside that nichols doesnt. I dont know that he has the ability to full fill that potential atleast not here. I fear a trade of hank for willy. Durant for willy? No chance. Id take it though. I dont see any reason sask would do that deal. 

What about glenn for willy? I think thats more interesting as its a bit more probable. 

KG just threw 5 TD passes last game. I don't think Popp is going to trade him anytime soon. Willy for Cato maybe or Adams. I'd take Cato, but in that event, may as well stick with Davis and Bennett as backups.

21 minutes ago, SteMar_67 said:

KG just threw 5 TD passes last game. I don't think Popp is going to trade him anytime soon. Willy for Cato maybe or Adams. I'd take Cato, but in that event, may as well stick with Davis and Bennett as backups.

Mtl is a couple losses from being out of it, this is probably as high as his value will ever get again. It depends on if pop thinks glenn is a part of the future in mtl or not.  I think that deal only goes through if we some how work in salary cap relief for them. Or any deal they do this year. 

That would be interesting too. I like cato, Id certainly take him over our back ups. Though keeping 4 around is allways a good idea. 

1 hour ago, SteMar_67 said:

Good idea. But it would be good to know if either Davis or Bennett can function well in a game situation. Practice is nice but nowhere as immediate or chaotic as it is during a game.