Around The NHL 2016/2017

Trouba really took a step forward this year, a big step forward.  He had that edge that all good NHL defenseman have.  That's the Trouba we all knew he could be.  If I could, I'd lock him down long-term this summer, and make Troubs and Morrissey our Keith and Seabrook for the next 8 years.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Would be great to get Troubadour under contract for 8 years. 

Would 6X8 get it done?

For me but i doubt it.

We have him for 2m next season then they can match any offer on the next contract right?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

To me signing Trouba long term is the biggest priority this offseason. If Chevy gets that done I'd almost be willing to look past the inevitable let down coming Re: free agency.

The core of this team is pretty clear now and they'll all guys under 24.  Over the coming years signing Ehlers, Laine, and Morrissey to long term extensions is just as crucial as Trouba.

Im torn on how to address the goaltending. Even after this years struggles I still think TNSE believes one of Helle or Comrie is the future #1. Can it happen soon enough is the question. I think it's a pipe dream to expect Bishop, Darling or even Fleury here. But do we need an established #1? We need league average goaltending and we're a playoff team. 

Ottawa is 9th in the league in GA and started Condon 37 games. Calgary is 14th in GA and started Johnson 36 games. Anaheim got 32 games out of Bernier. All playoff teams. These are the calibre guys I think would be more likely to come to Wpg #1, and #2 maybe that's all we need?

My biggest concern heading into the offseason lies at the feet of our staff, not the players. Individually so many took huge strides this year, but we still lag so far behind in too many categories. Eventually (I would hope) the excuses of scheduling, injuries etc get out of this org's vocabulary.

Big, big offseason coming up. 

18 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I think the Jets will be in play for Darling, he wants to be a starter and we can give him the chance and a pretty good contract.

I agree. I'd be somewhat leary of giving him big money tho.  Stats very similar to hutch after 73 75 games 

Johnson Bernier Darling are all realistic options and I'd be fine with any 1 of them and helle next year. 

You don't really need a huge upgrade on Helle. You need an upgrade on Hutch who when it mattered most sucked badly. 

The less informed fan will put it on helle but in reality he was a rookie who was overplayed at times because Hutch absolutely sucked and the coachea had Zero faith in him when games actually mattered.  

Edited by Goalie

49 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Johnson Bernier Darling are all realistic options and I'd be fine with any 1 of them and helle next year. 

You don't really need a huge upgrade on Helle. You need an upgrade on Hutch who when it mattered most sucked badly. 

The less informed fan will put it on helle but in reality he was a rookie who was overplayed at times because Hutch absolutely sucked and the coachea had Zero faith in him when games actually mattered.  

Maybe even Mason to that list, all a good option to help Helle, Hutch has no future with this team and really is an AHL goalie at best. I'm sure Chevy has his favourite and wont break the bank as he see's what needs to be done in terms of signing his youngster's to long term contract's and that includes Trouba.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I think Darling is the guy they will go after. Another name who the Jets tried to sign when he came over from Finland... Antti Raanta. Keep that name in the back of your minds also. I see Raanta being a real possibility 

I expect LV to take Raanta. 

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Would be great to get Troubadour under contract for 8 years. 

Would 6X8 get it done?

Nope. I think, if you want Trouba for 8 years and for him to sign this summer, you're looking at 7.5M to 8M AAV.