Muhammad Ali

Goalie

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Gotta rewatch Will Smith's "Ali" next week sometime...

I remember when Ali was a conscientious objector & refused to report for military duty. People back then felt he was a coward for not wanting to serve in the Viet Nam War. Not sure exactly when things turned around for Ali with the public back in the day. I do remember the fight with Joe Frazier in 1971 at Madison Square Garden. That was the biggest fight ever in the boxing world at the time & still may be to this day. I think the anticipation of his return really was the beginning of the love for the man we see today.

Ali had an amazing way of thinking. He always had a positive outlook on his career and showed that believing in yourself is a powerful way to win. In his mind he was the champion before he even got in the ring. 

RIP Champ. 

34 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Ali had an amazing way of thinking. He always had a positive outlook on his career and showed that believing in yourself is a powerful way to win. In his mind he was the champion before he even got in the ring. 

RIP Champ. 

Although Ali was a great boxer in his early career, what he really did to revolutionize sports was bring personality and self-promotion into a world where most athletes were treated as silent drones.  Boxing capitalized on the concept and it has bled off into other combat sports, as most fans really do want to know the real person better to confirm their love for their heroes.

Sadly most of the major league sports have stuck to programming their athletes in drone speak. Nothing more boring then watching a pro athlete jibber-jabber for 2:30 seconds and say nothing.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne