Game 83 Jets @ Draft Lottery

Goalie

Connor - Scheif - Wheeler - 1 rookie

Laine - Little - Ehlers - 1 rookie.

Why is that so hard to understand? You play your best 6 in the top 6 and those are your best 6. 

We are a team building for the future, If Maurice doesn't play these guys in the top 6, Maurice won't be here in the future. Bottom Line really. 

Even with Laine and Connor the Jets will still have a tough time making the playoffs but not impossible, we are getting closer but maybe another high pick and some shrewd trades at the deadline would benefit the team in the future.

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Connor - Scheif - Wheeler - 1 rookie

Laine - Little - Ehlers - 1 rookie.

Why is that so hard to understand? You play your best 6 in the top 6 and those are your best 6. 

We are a team building for the future, If Maurice doesn't play these guys in the top 6, Maurice won't be here in the future. Bottom Line really. 

Connor over Ehlers aint gonna happen...

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

Glad they didn't have the lottery back then. Can you imagine what it would have been like to go through that season and not get Hawerchuk.

yes that's a great point Jacquie.  If we had picked third or fourth that year we probably would have ended up with Ron Francis or Bobby Carpenter, or some guy named Doug Smith who went second overall (who?).  Francis and Carpenter were good, but they were no Dale Hawerchuk.

That's what happens when the NHL rapes you of a very, very good team. Think of the players the Jets lost when they came into the league......

Fergy had two picks in the 1st the season he picked McBain, the other was Bobby Dollas if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Laine being compared to Ovechkin...  the only 'off the board' is if he goes 1st overall

yeah you never know, Shanahan may do just that.  We'll see.  I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.  Kind of like last year, how Connor just fell into Chevy's lap.  Imagine if the same thing happened this year and Auston Matthews arrives gift-wrapped as the Leafs go with a Finn.  I would probably pass out.

10 minutes ago, Ducky said:

That's what happens when the NHL rapes you of a very, very good team. Think of the players the Jets lost when they came into the league......

Fergy had two picks in the 1st the season he picked McBain, the other was Bobby Dollas if I remember correctly.

yup - 1983 draft.  Fergie got that pick by trading Dave Christian.  He took Dave Christian, and turned him into Bobby Dollas.  Not one of his finer moments.

41 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Even with Laine and Connor the Jets will still have a tough time making the playoffs but not impossible, we are getting closer but maybe another high pick and some shrewd trades at the deadline would benefit the team in the future.

If we get Laine or the Puljarvi guy I hope that Armia steps up and helps with the transition to North America.  I really think Armia has a lot of upside.  I was reading about how he was kind of lonely and homesick playing for Buffalo's farm team, but he really seemed to come out of his shell when he got called up to the big leagues with Winnipeg and got on a line with some skill players.  That Petan/Armia/Copp line was really playing some good hockey in the last 10 games.  With another Finn on the team and someone to mentor for the North American game I'd like to see Armia on at least the third line next year, playing with Copp and possibly Petan or Lemieux.

I also like Perrault and Dano's chemistry.  I just don't know if playing them with Lowry will result in much production if they are stuck on 4th line minutes.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Had to trade him tho, he wanted out.

Here is what I think Maurice will start with next year...

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Staf
Connor - Perreault - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Dano

Trouba Buff

Enstorm Myers

Stu Chiarot

Pavs Helle

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Had to trade him tho, he wanted out.

Here is what I think Maurice will start with next year...

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Staf
Connor - Perreault - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Dano

Trouba Buff

Enstorm Myers

Stu Chiarot

Pavs Helle

That's probably a good line up, though I cringe at seeing Enstrom and Stuart on D.  One of those guys has to go.  I get that there is no room for Burmi or Petan right now, though a trade involving Staff might be in the offing to open things up for Lemieux and Petan.  I really liked Petan's effort level last year.  If he shows up willing to work that hard in TC, then he might make it impossible to send him down.

24 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Jimmy Mann was his first pick ever I believe. Jimmy Mann??

13 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

yes that was a bad one.  They didn't have the internet back then.  It was a different era.  Still no excuse.  Mark Messier could have been picked instead.  Imagine the difference if the Jets had Messier instead of Mann.  Just amazing.

One other quick thought - if the Jets do draft Laine (or Puj) they may want to hire Teemu as a temporary consultant to help either kid acclimatize to Winnipeg.  When Teemu came to Winnipeg he was already 22 years old, while either of these two guys will only be 18.  You do a lot of growing up during those 4 years.  Teemu figured out pretty quickly how special the Jets are to Winnipeg, and he also knew that if he gave the fans a bit of love he'd get it back 100 times over.  These kids are not going to show up being Teemu in terms of personality.  They are still just kids.  They will have a lot of growing up to do, and Selanne may be a good guy to have around for awhile during that process, as he has lived it himself.  Just a thought.  Kind of like how Sidney Crosby and Fleury lived at Mario Lemeuix's house their first year or two in the league, while he mentored them and showed them the ropes.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

24 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes that was a bad one.  They didn't have the internet back then.  It was a different era.  Still no excuse.  Mark Messier could have been picked instead.  Imagine the difference if the Jets had Messier instead of Mann.  Just amazing.

Messier was picked in the 3rd round (48th). Based on his WHA days he didn't show anything to justify being picked higher.

55 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Expansion teams picking in the last four spots....  brutal.

Still Fergie found Christian in late 2nd round...  Thomas Steen in round five.  Watters round six.

If he goes for Lowe or Goulet in first round, this is a world class draft.

Wow - oilers picked up Messier, Anderson and Lowe in that draft

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Overall, Fergy did a pretty good job at the draft table. He did mess up on this one. I think Fergy liked Mann because he was a big body who could actually skate, score goals like he did in the QMJHL back then as well as fight pretty good which it turned out he could. Only problem was when he got to the Jets & the NHL he could skate & fight but couldn't score. Mann stuck around for a few seasons as the team enforcer which is pretty weird for a number 1 draft pick.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It's not saying Connor is better. Just the way to distribute players. 

That's exactly it. It's to distribute the scoring among the lines. 

Connor is a goal scorer, putting him with Lowry is ridiculous and hurts his development, LOWRY couldn't keep up with Connor, Connor actually might be a faster skater than Ehlers. So you put him with Scheif and Wheeler since Connor is a natural LW

Ehlers likes to play the right side, You take advantage of that and put him on the right side of Little, Laine likes to play left side, so you put him on Littles Left.

It's not about which player is better or any of this, it's about having 2 strong lines who could come out there and dominate... It wasn't Ehlers and I liked the kid but you can put anyone with Scheif and Wheeler and they will dominate, Petan played with them and they dominated. The only time they didn't look good was when Stafford played with them. 

It's about distributing the scoring, it's about not putting all your eggs in one basket, It's about... Putting a goal scorer with speed to burn with 2 guys who got speed to burn. It's about using your talent to the best of their abilities.. 

Connor -Scheif - Wheeler would be legit

Laine, Little, Ehlers would be legit too. 

Your bottom 6 becomes better because you put Perreault down there on the third line... Perreault - Petan - Armia. 

Lowry is on the 4th line cuz he's a big kid who really, besides being big and hitting, he doesn't bring much else, he doesn't score goals.. he doesn't set them up... Ideal 4th line that can go out there bang and grind and maybe pop a few... Lemieux,Lowry,Dano. 

Connor with Lowry? C'mon lol, that's just not even funny, Lowry is not the quickest guy in the world, Connor might be the quickest JET now. Why sandbag him with Lowry when you can let him excel with Scheif and Wheeler. 

Edited by Goalie

Wouldn't be surprised if Jets start Connor or Laine on third line... just to take some pressure off them, probably Connor

Whether we start the season with it or not... Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler will be our top line for the next 3-5 years

Wouldn't put two rookies on the second line right away...