Wrestling

Rich

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What a change in fortune for Styles. Best all around performer in the world. He should keep the title until WM (and lose it to Cena for his record tying 16th reign). 

I wonder if Randy Orton will get involved in the title chase at some point.  I would not mind a Styles vs Orton feud.

There really aren't that many guys on Smackdown worthy of feuding for the title.  Ambrose, Styles, Orton, Cena.  Wyatt and Ziggler are fringe.

Ziggler is tied up with the Miz for the foreseeable future.  God I love The Miz with Maryse.  She gets Ziggler with the old perfume/mace to the eyes for The Miz win.  Classic!!

I like Miz/Maryse too but that was a lousy finish to a really good match.  But I guess that was the point.  AJ/Ziggler would be a good match and I can see it on a random SD.  As a program, he likely does a rematch or two with Ambrose and then yeah Orton would make the most sense.  Unless they bring someone up.  But Joe would likely be a heel (though I still want to see Roman, Joe, Uso's as a Samoan Swat Team) and Nak would likely be on RAW.

He'll be listed in the record books as Phil Brooks.  The UFC can call him whatever they think will get the most attention.  

When the Rock went Hollywood, he tried dropping The Rock part for a while at first but went back to using it occasionally.  It's all about what sells.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Why does punk still go by CM PUNK in UFC?  you would think he'd want to start going by his real name at some point to differentiate the wrestler from the man, not unlike the rock starting as the rock,  then dwayne the rock johnson, then just dwayne johnson

Its his stage name.  Many actors/performers have stage names.  Plus, the only reason UFC signed him was because they thought it might sell fights.  Phil Brooks aint selling a fight.  CM Punk might.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

He even came out to his WWE music

I believe he used Cult of Personality on the indies too.  It was a contractual issue when he re-signed with WWE a few years ago - he wanted WWE to buy rights to the song, which Vince did (they mentioned it in an angle too).

Regarding the Rock.  He used The Rock when he first left as he was still under contract and WWE and Vince received a producer credit on all his films.  He then had a falling out with WWE over re-signing and abruptly went to using his real name.  WWE owns "The Rock".  He also had representation that wanted him to distance himself from WWE, decrease his physique etc.  He later fired them and worked out a deal with WWE to go back to being The Rock.  By then he had been using his real name so he used Duane The Rock Johnson for a few films.  He dropped The Rock as his real name became established and he, presumably, wanted to stop paying WWE and/or having to let them have a voice in how his name was used.

Punk doesnt have that issue since he owns his own name.

Speaking of which, "Ryback" changed his name legally to "Ryback" so he could keep using it.  Cody Runnels continues to negotiate with WWE to use the "Rhodes" name, which I find ridiculous and I cant believe WWE can stop him from using it.

Raw is boring as hell.  They have a far worse tag team division.  Far worse women's division.  Boring matches.  The universal champ may be funny and a good wrestler but nothing will push casual fans away faster than a fat guy with a neckbeard being the top guy.  Steph is unlikeable.  Mick Foley is transparent and has become terrible and stilted on the mic.  They force out legit talent like Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow and subject us to Jinder Mahal and the Shining Stars.  The announcing team has no redeeming qualities or chemistry.  Raw is a mess.

Edited by Atomic

On 9/12/2016 at 6:37 AM, Atomic said:

I wonder if Randy Orton will get involved in the title chase at some point.  I would not mind a Styles vs Orton feud.

There really aren't that many guys on Smackdown worthy of feuding for the title.  Ambrose, Styles, Orton, Cena.  Wyatt and Ziggler are fringe.

Ziggler is tied up with the Miz for the foreseeable future.  God I love The Miz with Maryse.  She gets Ziggler with the old perfume/mace to the eyes for The Miz win.  Classic!!

Styles is great. Much better than Ambrose.

Rollins slowly becoming a face? They should have brought him back as one the night he returned. Huge pop for Seth that night! As per usual, the WWE didn't see or wanted to see it & just ignored the fans. Rollins began to lose to the point people weren't that excited about him like they should have been. Now, maybe they'll get it right with Rollins. Turn. Reigns. A. Heel.

31 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Raw is boring as hell.  They have a far worse tag team division.  Far worse women's division.  Boring matches.  The universal champ may be funny and a good wrestler but nothing will push casual fans away faster than a fat guy with a neckbeard being the top guy.  Steph is unlikeable.  Mick Foley is transparent and has become terrible and stilted on the mic.  They force out legit talent like Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow and subject us to Jinder Mahal and the Shining Stars.  The announcing team has no redeeming qualities or chemistry.  Raw is a mess.

I agree with some. RAW is very boring and formularic. Everything is predictable from how they do promos to where they put matches to what Cole says. 

Women are much improved but suffer the same fate as the men in being victims of awful boring booking and terrible scripted promos. 

Owens is great. When wrestling is good appearance doesn't turn fans away. At its height Mick Foley was world champion wearing an old dress shirt and tie and pulling a sock out of his tights. Owens can flat out work. Him as world champion is one of the few things they have done right. 

Heres another example of **** booking. Seth Rollins is supposed to be your top baby face. But he never turned face. The heels (the authority) just kicked him out. 

"How could you do this to me Stephanie" is not a face turn. It's horrible! How can anyone get behind that??

hunter did the exact same bullshit turn with Orton back in the evolution days. Instead of Randy turning face, the heels kicked him out. Thank goodness Batista was around to save Wrestlemania that year. And how did barista turn face? By outsmarting the heels and doing the big, defiant thumbs down and beating the **** out of evolution. 

AJ is the best all around performer in the world right now. 

Sandow was finished in WWE. Cody, as Stardust was garbage. 

But with guys like Joe and Nak and Roode in NXT bringing in Mahal makes no sense. 

20 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Mahal is there as a jobber... the lowest tier.  If they brought up any of Nak, Roode or Samoa Joe to play that role, that would just be silly.  Someone has to lose matches.

He was brought back because they lack depth. The jobber matches they are doing is fine. Or guys the fans like who are buried like Ziggler. 

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

I don't think it's THAT BAD but you make some good points. Triple H made Foley look like a fool & his character seems lost right now. Owens is a great wrestler but we're all waiting for Rollins to take back.... errr.... win the Universal Championship. The show does look like it's listing. All thanks to the Triple H swerve.