Wrestling

Rich

The only issue with RAW was by the main event, fans were tiring of the "new" way WWE produces it's "epic" matches with the multiple false finishes and kicking out of every finisher.  They need to have some main event level matches where a guy's finisher works.

I would suspect the Sasha win was a recent change.  She was purposely held out to soften her reaction with the idea of making her big win mean more at Summerslam.  They must have wanted a "change" for the first RAW.

Good effort all around.  Im not sure if they are now doing a subtle Roman heel turn but if they are playing him straight, its still not going to work.  Roman as leader of the Club might be a possibility.  Balor turning is a possibility.  I was worried when Balor came out and Cole ran down all his Japanese accomplishments, he said "Junior" so many times I figured he was earmarked for the cruiserweight division.

"Universal" Champion is at least somewhat catchy.  I guess the Universe is bigger than the World so its Steph showing that her balls are bigger than Shane's. 

Observer:

Though the future of Brock Lesnar’s mixed martial arts career remains in doubt, he will officially not be facing any disciplinary action in professional wrestling.

In fact, Lesnar isn’t subject to WWE’s wellness policy. A WWE spokesperson confirmed to TMZ Sports that Lesnar’s part-time status means that he isn’t tested under the policy.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Observer:

Though the future of Brock Lesnar’s mixed martial arts career remains in doubt, he will officially not be facing any disciplinary action in professional wrestling.

In fact, Lesnar isn’t subject to WWE’s wellness policy. A WWE spokesperson confirmed to TMZ Sports that Lesnar’s part-time status means that he isn’t tested under the policy.

Shocking!  I wonder if they drug test The Rock when he makes his appearances :P

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

WWE just released Joey Styles.  There is speculation it relates to an interview he recently did where he was very honest about hating the "WWE Universal Championship" name and a few other things.  He was there a heck of a long time, all things considered.

Oh MY GAWWWD!!!!

Sounds like an interesting interview between Steve Austin and Dean Ambrose.  I havent watched it yet (It's on the PVR) but here is a recap from Observer:

WWE Champion Dean Ambrose appeared on the Stone Cold Podcast with Steve Austin last night on the WWE Network after Raw went off the air and had interesting comments about his match with Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 32 earlier this year. 

Lesnar defeated Ambrose in convincing fashion at WWE's biggest event of the year, and Ambrose provided a glimpse into how the match was put together.

“It was pretty cool, you know? I went to the ring that night pretty pissed off, and then, as I walked to the ring, I had no idea what was gonna happen." Ambrose said. "Went out there with not much of a plan so to speak. I felt like I was pulling teeth to turn that match into something epic.”

After further prodding from Austin, Ambrose said, “Artistically, Brock didn’t want to do anything if you want me to be perfectly honest. Because you know, Brock’s gonna Brock. He’s all about Brock." 

"I had a vision for that match to be the craziest thing imaginable, you know what I mean? And I was trying to pitch everything to everybody and had every idea. I put so much effort in and so much work in, and other people did too, and I was met with laziness.”

But Ambrose said that it was an invigorating feeling walking to the ring against Lesnar in front of one hundred thousand people not knowing what was going to happen. He described those moments as something he lived for.

The interview started somewhat awkwardly as Ambrose answered questions about his childhood, but it kicked into gear when Austin asked Ambrose if he had a chip on his shoulder. Ambrose replied that he has at times, but doesn’t consider himself someone who has a chip on his shoulder now.

Austin came back to that near the end of the interview and challenged Ambrose to overcome what he perceived as complacency.

Austin challenged Ambrose, "I’m challenging you to amp up and amplify everything you’ve got because I think the WWE Universe deserves to see that, and you’ve shown a lot of that, but I would dare say you’ve rested on your laurels, you’re a little bit comfortable and you need to find the edge again."

Ambrose was offended by the suggestion, and said that pushing the envelope is something that he always tries to do, but it can be challenging in the current environment.

At the interview's conclusion, Ambrose said he liked that Austin reminded him that getting on top is one thing, but staying there is another.

I hate to say it hurt my view of Brock.  I love Brock as a performer but its interesting to hear it was Brock who nixed anything and not just the way WWE chose to book it.  Ambrose was hurt a lot by being basically squashed by Brock.  The idea wasnt for Ambrose to become World Champion shortly after so thats part of it.  But still....

And Austin saying Dean has rested on his laurels is interesting.  It makes me wonder if there is scuttlebutt behind the scenes about that because Dean seems like someone who works really hard and as he said, what you do and how you do it is all about the writers and Vince & Hunter.  Austin has said it before about the current environment but Austin would be nothing if he came along today because he would never be allowed to be Austin.

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I like Austin but he fails to realize that it's not the attitude Era anymore and if you piss people off now you are punished. I watched it Also and thought Austin was a bit disrespectful 

Austin definitely has tunnel vision when it comes to how guys work today.  He thinks guys should break through on their own and just be so great that they cant be punished (keeping in mind Austin refused to do a job for Brock, walked out, was suspended and came crawling back after losing a ton of money).  The people Austin should be scolding are Vince, Steph and Hunter for how things are today as far as not conducive to creating new Austin's, Rocks, Hunters, Brets, etc.

I thought Austin had a real chip on his shoulder last night & Ambrose was taken aback by it. Challenging Ambrose to be better & sitting on his laurels didn't sound very good by Austin giving advice to the WWE champion. . The podcast really exposed just how badly spoken Dean is. At times, he looked totally tongue tied, lost for words & he stammered badly. I wonder what Vince thought of that interview? 

Edited by iso_55

Brock always had that reputation... back when wrestling was entertaining I remember Lesnar vs Goldberg being probably the absolute worst match.   You could tell both mens egos prevented them from actually putting on a show and it ended up being one big long bore-fest of them not wanting to sell to each other.

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

Brock always had that reputation... back when wrestling was entertaining I remember Lesnar vs Goldberg being probably the absolute worst match.   You could tell both mens egos prevented them from actually putting on a show and it ended up being one big long bore-fest of them not wanting to sell to each other.

That was more because they were both leaving, it was last match for both of them and the fans buried them both.  Neither guy felt compelled to work very hard in that situation and both guys were being laid out by Austin at the end.

Brock has worked very hard when he wants to.  I suspect he just didnt see Ambrose as a top guy to work that hard with and knew he was going to go back to UFC so wasnt about to do anything too interesting, especially in a hardcore match where one wrong move might end his multi-million dollar UFC payday.

According to WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon, gender inclusive characters could soon be integrated into the company's programming.

McMahon was a featured speaker at an event hosted by Beyond Sport at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY on Tuesday and spoke about the WWE's role in ensuring gender inclusion in sports.

"We will integrate LGBT characters into our programming ... and I do think there will be an opportunity to integrate some of those storylines in the near future," McMahon said.

36 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

According to WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon, gender inclusive characters could soon be integrated into the company's programming.

McMahon was a featured speaker at an event hosted by Beyond Sport at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY on Tuesday and spoke about the WWE's role in ensuring gender inclusion in sports.

"We will integrate LGBT characters into our programming ... and I do think there will be an opportunity to integrate some of those storylines in the near future," McMahon said.

adrian_adonis_5284.jpg

Goldust-video.jpg

Yeah, nothing good can come of this.  To be fair, they said the same thing in 2015 in regards to Darren Young and never did anything.

Wrestling is really weird with gays because "you're gay" is such a cheap and easy heat score (or was, despite the awkwardness of Enzo/Cass implying Jericho/Owens were gay this past RAW to try and get heat - ill advised by the way).  Yet, wrestling attracts a lot of gay viewers and wrestlers and my experience has been that wrestling has long been an industry that never cared if someone was gay.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah, nothing good can come of this.  To be fair, they said the same thing in 2015 in regards to Darren Young and never did anything.

Wrestling is really weird with gays because "you're gay" is such a cheap and easy heat score (or was, despite the awkwardness of Enzo/Cass implying Jericho/Owens were gay this past RAW to try and get heat - ill advised by the way).  Yet, wrestling attracts a lot of gay viewers and wrestlers and my experience has been that wrestling has long been an industry that never cared if someone was gay.

I have no idea if these rumours are true or if it's really far fetched.  But didn't Pat Patterson get into serious trouble for forcing newer green wrestlers to have sex with him? 

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I have no idea if these rumours are true or if it's really far fetched.  But didn't Pat Patterson get into serious trouble for forcing newer green wrestlers to have sex with him? 

Not Patterson.  There was a huge scandal in the early 90's that sort of dovetailed on the drugs/steroids thing.  Some ring boys accused certain execs of trading favours for spots.  Patterson was accused but there was never any evidence and he was brought back after being forced to resign.  There is the second that some of it was probably true and some of it not.  But that sort of speaks to my point that being gay was never a negative issue in wrestling to the extent several executives were gay and sleeping with employees.

It was Terry Garvin and Mel Phillips that were the main focus of the accusations and investigations.  They worked under Patterson and he stepped down for a time.  It was really shady because one of the ring boys who made allegations ended up accepting a deal where he went back to WWE for awhile.  I have little doubt that many of the accusations actually happened though.  It was a drug fueled, sex crazed time in WWE.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

I thought Jason Sensation accused Patterson though?  

I don't recall him accusing Patterson.  He did write a book called Raped ion Wrestling where he said Kevin Fertig sexually assaulted him and an unnamed road agent (that could have been Patterson but describing him as a road agent would have been a weird way to describe Patterson as he was much more advanced than that).  His stories are somewhat along the lines of "do this if you want to go anywhere in the business".  

Interestingly, I've heard stories like that locally.  Not widespread and not recently.  Before I got in the business, but a well know "local" told me he was propositioned by a well-known international "local" with basically "if you want to get ahead you have to give head".  That sort of thing.  A lot of this kind of thing was brushed aside as "boys will be boys" much in the same way it happened in many industries with men in power positions propositioning women.  That happened in wrestling too but women were always around as "ring rats".  Orion got in trouble for the way he conducted himself towards women (crapping in  bags etc).  For that matter, so did DX.

Wow

Dixie Carter no longer TNA President, Billy Corgan takes over

observer:

Dixie Carter is no longer president of TNA Wrestling after a major shakeup in the company was announced on Friday afternoon.

Carter will now hold the titles of chairman and Chief Strategy Officer, while Billy Corgan will take over Carter's former role as the company's president. Corgan will be responsible for TNA's day-to-day operations, while TNA's statement says that Carter will focus on long-term planning, strategic partnerships, and global growth.

Edited by The Unknown Poster